Talk

Advanced search

To be having a complete and utter meltdown??

(8 Posts)
MyHeadIsExploding Fri 07-Nov-14 13:18:54

I have just been dismissed from my job. It's fair enough and has come after several months of the company being unhappy with me. I have a long term health condition which really drains me of energy and I am having to face up to the fact that I will never be fit for a career. I can't work 40+ hours in a fast paced environment, after 3 months I'm burnt out. It's happened before, the same thing, burnt out and exhausted after 6 months.

In floods of tears this morning at this realisation and no idea what to do. There are no well paid careers you can do as part time from the very beginning are there?

I'm ok for money at the moment but don't know what I will do in the new year, I'm supposed to be renewing my lease and I won't be able to afford it. Nowhere to go, I have no family to go back to.

wanttosqueezeyou Fri 07-Nov-14 13:22:02

Bumping for you...

Not sure what to say - what a nightmare.

Hope there are others who can help you who may have had a similar experience??

motherofmonster Fri 07-Nov-14 13:22:54

Do you have children op? As you may be able to get help with tax credits

ChippingInAutumnLover Fri 07-Nov-14 13:23:52

<<HUG>>

Are you sure what they have done is legal? I would ask over in Legal.

I'm not sure that AIBU is the best place for you right now, why not get your thread moved to Legal, Freelance, General Health or even chat?

You are ill - what's happened to you is dreadful and you must be scared and upset, it's not fair sad

We live in a welfare state, you need to speak to the CAB and get some help to make sure you get ALL of the help that is available to you.

BaffledSomeMore Fri 07-Nov-14 13:27:44

sad
What field do you work in? There may be options to find something with a slower pace.

MyHeadIsExploding Fri 07-Nov-14 13:59:50

Thank you for replying.

I don't have children or a partner. I would be entitled to housing benefit I suppose, and waiting for nearly a year now to hear about my PIP (disability allowance) application.

It is legal what my workplace have done, they went through proper stages of measuring my performance and it constantly falling short, they haven't just done it out of nowhere. I'm not good enough because I can't keep up.

So tired of it all.

russiandwarf Fri 07-Nov-14 14:09:54

I don't know if this helps at all but i've seen websites for freelancers where you can work from home, from graphic design to data entry. Might be worth a look?
www.peopleperhour.com/
www.freelancer.co.uk/
Just google freelancers online.
Would you be able to take work on short contracts through an agency? That way you can always make sure you have a break and know how long you can last out before running yourself into the ground?

cailindana Fri 07-Nov-14 14:14:51

What sort of a job was it? What's your illness (if you don't mind me asking)?

There are ways around this, but it will take time. Half the battle might be the realisation you're now coming to that you aren't able to sustain a 40 hour week. There's nothing to be ashamed of in that, it's just a fact. It's hard to accept limitations but once you do you can work around them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now