Talk

Advanced search

To think hallelujah should come with a 15 warning on the Radio?

(48 Posts)
Littlepinkpear Fri 07-Nov-14 09:26:20

I'm a blubbering wreck in my kitchen now! Thanks Radio 2.

MsVestibule Fri 07-Nov-14 09:31:16

Ooh no. Lots of songs move me but not that one. Especially when sung by Katherine Jenkins. I don't like her voice at all.

I love the one she's singing now (Time To Say Goodbye) but only when sung by Andrea Boccelli and Sarah Brightman. It reminds me of my a very special holiday DH and I once had smile.

raltheraffe Fri 07-Nov-14 09:37:19

Disappointed as I thought this would be a thread discussing the Happy Mondays.

ReallyTired Fri 07-Nov-14 09:38:07

Being ignorant was it the "Hallelujah" from Handel's Messiah

www.youtube.com/watch?v=76RrdwElnTU

or Jeff Buckley "hallelujah" form Shrek.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=kB67HO8tkQs

I like this version

www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYKwqj5QViQ

Littlepinkpear Fri 07-Nov-14 09:41:43

Jenkins left me cold. It was the Leonard Cohen/ Jeff Buckley version.

I just think of family funerals and CJ sobbing her heart out on West Wing.

Blooming hormones!

bedraggledmumoftwo Fri 07-Nov-14 09:43:36

The Jeff Buckley one is amazing! Didn't know it was on shrek though!

bedraggledmumoftwo Fri 07-Nov-14 09:44:11

The Jeff Buckley one is amazing! Didn't know it was on shrek though!

Vitalstatistix Fri 07-Nov-14 09:45:17

I like k d lang's version of it best.

I have no soul though, cos nothing makes me cry.

That's not true.

If I run out of tequilla...

Vitalstatistix Fri 07-Nov-14 09:46:36

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYiMJ2bC65A

MsVestibule Fri 07-Nov-14 09:54:51

That's a beautiful version, Vital, thanks for posting it.

HoundoftheBaskervilles Fri 07-Nov-14 09:58:23

Yes to KD's version, although Jeff Buckley's and Leonard's original have their merits depending on my mood. Big fat no to any of your Alex Burke or Katherine Jenkins warbling nonsence though, excellent desecration of a classic there you souless ninnies.

UkuleleUlulations Fri 07-Nov-14 10:00:43

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Enb76 Fri 07-Nov-14 10:09:10

The song that makes me well up is Sarah McClachlan sing When She Loved Me. Cried in a cafe yesterday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fo2w5HPZTHA

Hallelujah is great but overdone.

ISingSoprano Fri 07-Nov-14 10:13:48

My dd is singing 'When she loved me' at a concert in a couple of weeks time. I know I shall cry!

ScarletFever Fri 07-Nov-14 11:11:02

Actually, Bullets by Passenger makes me bawl!!

"The first of those song to hit home for me was Bullets, which works on all kinds of levels, the narrative flow in particular, with a story that sucks you in. It sounds so deeply personal, as if the main character is someone well known to Mike. There�s a conviction in the telling of a tale of a collector undone by a break in. Once that threshold has been crossed and a lifetime�s work is compromised, the trauma and fear left in the wake are all too palpable. It�s ultimately and devastatingly defined by the songs d�nouement, although I won�t spoil it for you."

Makes me think of my mum, who wont leave the house empty (AT ALL!!, not even to pop out to the supermarket) after being repeatedly burgled

LoxleyBarrett Fri 07-Nov-14 12:27:07

Leonard Cohen every time for me!

SadEyedLady Fri 07-Nov-14 12:32:19

It's Rufus Wainwright's version used on Shrek, not Jeff Buckley's. Can't stand either of them anyway, has to be Leonard singing it for me grin

squoosh Fri 07-Nov-14 12:35:34

Who Knows Where The Time Goes by Fairport Convention sets me off, and I'm not generally one for tears.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2xODjbfYw8

FreudiansSlipper Fri 07-Nov-14 12:44:59

I love KD Langs version I love her voice

Leonard Cohen's is still the best

Katherine Jenkins has a beautiful voice but her voice do not move me

Gawjushun Fri 07-Nov-14 12:48:06

Leonard Cohen is the perfect version in my book. He has just the right gruff, weary old man gone to really nail the lyrics. I find Jeff Buckley's version a bit emoish, although I like his voice in general.

I hate when you start to associate songs with funerals. A recent service had Moon River as the entrance song, and now it makes me cry (and not just cos they used the shitty Michael Buble version).

mummytime Fri 07-Nov-14 12:58:55

You do realise Leonard Cohen has written something like over 100 verses for that song don't you? So there isn't any one version from him.

But all Leonard Cohen tends to be depressing.

squoosh Fri 07-Nov-14 13:00:47

I think Hallelujah must fund most of Leonard's retirement pot.

mrsdavidbowie Fri 07-Nov-14 13:01:34

Rufus Wainwright does a great version

LittleprincessinGOLDrocks Fri 07-Nov-14 13:08:16

I sob my heart out to"I just called to say I love you" by Stevie Wonder. It was the last song played at my mums funeral. It was one of her favourite songs, and summed up how we felt, that we were going to miss doing and seeing all those things with her.
It is a beautiful song, and I love it, but it always reminds me of mum and the tears start.
Other songs that get me include "Angels" by Robbie, and "Carol" by Boyzone, both of which were played during the service.
"Somewhere over the rainbow" by Israel Kamakawiwo'ole also gets me crying.
Hallelujah doesn't get me though.

AnotherGirlsParadise Fri 07-Nov-14 14:08:32

I love Rufus Wainwright's version. I detest Alexandra Burke's version, because she admitted she didn't like the song, and it was massively overproduced. Sorry not sorry, but a song like Hallelujah should only be performed by those who love it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now