Talk

Advanced search

To think that within the next decade I will be disabled if I don't leave my job.

(17 Posts)
PiperIsOrangePumpkins Thu 06-Nov-14 21:48:02

I am 28 and I have arthritis in both knees. 3 months ago I had surgery to thin down the pilica muscle and have my knee realigned.

I'm back in work but I am really struggling and the pain is getting worse.

I have a physio appointment but I am scared that this will not work.

Catsize Thu 06-Nov-14 21:56:00

I am sorry to hear this. What is your job?

PiperIsOrangePumpkins Thu 06-Nov-14 22:20:53

Domestic

raltheraffe Thu 06-Nov-14 22:31:39

I would advise you find an alternative career. Cleaning is not a good job for people with problems in their knees or hips.

PiperIsOrangePumpkins Thu 06-Nov-14 22:36:16

It's where I am stuffed as I have no qualifications and debts up to my eyeballs.

LaurieFairyCake Thu 06-Nov-14 22:37:01

I made up rails in a factory aged 20 for 3 months and the doc said if I carried on I'd lose the use of my right arm. I gave up.

It's 25 years later and it is still stiff, loses feeling and tingles all the time.

There is no compensating for health and I really regret my time as a student - I will literally pay for it for the rest of my life.

All for £2.00 an hour that I really needed sad

Give up and do anything else.

amyhamster Thu 06-Nov-14 22:42:21

Could you do a computer course & try to get into admin?

28 is still very young so plenty of time to get qualifications & train for something else

Have you thought of childcare / nursery nursing / nanny jobs?

PiperIsOrangePumpkins Thu 06-Nov-14 22:46:21

I would love to get into IT, fixing servers and doing coding. However I am academically challenged.

honeysucklejasmine Thu 06-Nov-14 22:48:11

I would encourage you to retrain too. There is support for adult learners (including those who have learning difficulties). Ask your local college or CAB.

HopeClearwater Thu 06-Nov-14 22:48:25

Are you sure you're 'academically challenged'? Life and work isn't like school you know. Don't write yourself off.

thenightsky Thu 06-Nov-14 22:52:01

Change your job.

You are only 28. I was around that age when I gave up nursing due to my shockingly bad back (caused by lifting 20 stone + patients before the days of hoists). I did a medical secretarial diploma and have worked as a PA to a Consultant ever since.

Mind you, I'm in pain from sitting at a computer all day now sad

plecofjustice Thu 06-Nov-14 22:52:27

HSJ

You don't necessarily have to do any academic qualifications to get into IT. Do you know enough to be able to prove yourself in a professional test, if someone sat you down in front of a server and asked you to do basic front-line administrative tasks, could you do it?

If so, get in touch with some agencies. Lots of places look for firstline staff without necessarily requiring any qualifications, providing you can prove yourself.

plecofjustice Thu 06-Nov-14 22:53:14

Sorry, that was meant for piper

youareallbonkers Thu 06-Nov-14 22:59:27

I didn't even start working until I was 27. I mean a full time job, I'd cleaned, bar work etc. Surely any entry level office job is still going to pay more than cleaning?

Catanddogmake6 Thu 06-Nov-14 23:02:00

I would look into alternative jobs. If you carry on and make yourself ill you will be unable to work and in a worse financial position. My job left me unable to work, in constant pain and on strong medication for 10 years. Don't do it to yourself.

PiperIsOrangePumpkins Thu 06-Nov-14 23:10:30

I wouldn't have the first clue but I like computers and I have built my own PCs which has 3 monitors working from 1 graphic card.

Osirus Thu 06-Nov-14 23:25:42

There's a good place to start. Could you do some courses to gain IT qualifications?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now