Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to use the unsolicited Xmas cards I get from charities without donating?

(14 Posts)
Bloodyfriendshipgroups Thu 06-Nov-14 18:51:29

I just got three really nice Christmas cards, a bookmark and wrapping paper labels from a charity I don't support financially.

AIBU to use the stuff anyway?

LadyLuck10 Thu 06-Nov-14 18:53:42

Really? Who is stopping you.

vdbfamily Thu 06-Nov-14 18:55:11

You would be more unreasonable to just recycle them. I keep them in my emergency card drawer and do not feel at all guilty. As long as you do support some charities I don't think you can support them all!!

Bloodyfriendshipgroups Thu 06-Nov-14 18:56:38

I suppose also if you send them you publicise the charity further.

It just feels as though you are representing that you support them a bit!

paxtecum Thu 06-Nov-14 18:58:52

I don't feel 'right' using them so I give them to the local hospice shop.

Scrumbled Thu 06-Nov-14 19:12:26

YaNbu it's advertising and raises awareness to those that receive them.

AMumInScotland Thu 06-Nov-14 19:41:49

It's tricky. I put them in the recycling, because I feel it would be wrong for me to get any benefit from them without sending the charity any money. But at the same time I feel annoyed at them for trying to guilt me into giving them money when they're not a charity I have any particular interest in supporting. Which I'm sure is the worst of both worlds, as nobody has gained anything out of the whole arrangement!

But then I didn't ask them to include me in their mailing list, so whose fault is it if they have wasted their resources?

Like I say, tricky...

hellohelloididntseeyouthere Thu 06-Nov-14 21:35:41

YANBU

alemci Thu 06-Nov-14 21:42:43

i got some today and feel really guilty. glad you posted about it.

perhaps use the stuff and make a cash donation in their charity shop if its the same one as me. Don't want to support directly.

Scrumbled Thu 06-Nov-14 21:53:51

If iyou can use them then it's better to send them than put them in the recycling. There's no reason to feel guilty, charities send them out knowing that most people will just pocket the pen, or use the cards.

Email the charity and ask to be taken off their mailing & phone lists.

WooWooOwl Thu 06-Nov-14 22:02:11

I don't usually like the cards so they end up in the recycling, but I did get some nice present tags that I will use.

I feel a twinge of guilt for using something that comes from a charity I don't support or for wasting it, but at the same time I know I support the charities I do care about enough and that I didn't ask to be sent this stuff, so I don't think guilt is really warranted.

Latara Thu 06-Nov-14 22:09:06

Personally I wouldn't be happy to actually receive what I know to be 'free' charity Christmas cards (ie: ones you hadn't bothered to choose and buy) - I think it's a bit tight.
(Unless the giver is extremely skint but most people can afford a cheap pack of cards).
As for the charity aspect, I don't think it feels right to use the items unless you give a small donation?

So YABU.

bellybuttonfairy Thu 06-Nov-14 22:19:26

Use them! They are Xmas cards. Its crazy to throw them in the bin then buy more to send off....

You cannot donate to every charity out there. Some, infact, I do not even agree with.

Can't bear waste.

bustraintram Thu 06-Nov-14 22:29:23

YANBU, if you don't want to donate you shouldn't feel you have to, and it's silly to just throw them away, the charity will still have paid for them and its wasteful.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now