Talk

Advanced search

to find freemasons creepy

(59 Posts)
babybarrister Thu 06-Nov-14 15:00:47

I work near their main hall in central London and frequently walk past lots of middle aged and virtually all white, men dressed in totally black suits with black briefcases on their way into or out of their central hall.

I have never been inside - maybe I should - as the café appears to be open to the public.

Maybe in the many rooms inside there are lots of groups of men planning lots of charitable works for the good of the whole of society but I still find the place creepy

So tell me MN jury am I correct to have my misgivings about the nature of Freemasons or are they just a group of similarly minded men getting together in a social way to help out their members and do good works?

pissinmy2shoes Thu 06-Nov-14 15:03:09

yabu
they are just a group
I know a couple and they are just normal blokes

Ludways Thu 06-Nov-14 15:10:47

My grandad was a Freemason, he was the best, certainly not creepy. Lovely man, miss him loads.

Fluffyears Thu 06-Nov-14 15:10:51

My dad, grandad and two uncles were part of it. Normal blokes.

wanttosinglikemarycoughlan Thu 06-Nov-14 15:12:28

Creepy yanbu

InfinitySeven Thu 06-Nov-14 15:13:17

Go in. They are friendly and it'll put your mind at rest.

OfaFrenchMind Thu 06-Nov-14 15:14:08

Yeah, old white men... that's sinister... I could call it racist, but would rather call it misguided.

sleepyhead Thu 06-Nov-14 15:15:15

It's just like the Brownies probably, but for adult men. I think they do badges and stuff.

Failedspinster Thu 06-Nov-14 15:16:01

My dad is one, and personally I find it a bit odd (they didn't let women or Catholics join for years), but they are basically ordinary blokes doing charity work and stuff in the local community smile

bruffin Thu 06-Nov-14 15:21:42

I went to a greek wedding there many years ago, there was a huge hall inside, although cant remember much else and probably too young to appreciate it.
I know a few freemasons including my bil and none of them are creepy, just nice normal people doing a lot of voluntary work from what i can see. We also have a big freemasons hall near us, and that isnt creepy at all. A lovely elegant white building.

squoosh Thu 06-Nov-14 15:25:14

YANBU.

Nanny0gg Thu 06-Nov-14 15:26:55

My dad was lovely, not creepy.

And some of their lodges are beautiful buildings.

YABU.

duckbilled Thu 06-Nov-14 16:22:02

Most of my family are masons and i got married on one of the beautiful lodges. YABU and can i ask what difference it makes that most of them are white to make them creepy?

SweepTheHalls Thu 06-Nov-14 16:24:07

Hmm, men playing grown. Up scouts and donating a lot of money to charity? Definitely wrong..... or maybe not.

Patrickstarisabadbellend Thu 06-Nov-14 16:24:21

I find the women's institute creepier...

Aussiebloke Thu 06-Nov-14 16:26:53

I believe they are one of the biggest donators/fundraisers for charitable causes in the world, however they do not seek any recognition for the money they give.

meoverhere Thu 06-Nov-14 16:28:06

Substitute white for black or muslim

hmm

JingleSpud Thu 06-Nov-14 16:29:00

Yes my dads really creepy hmm

They do loads for charity

NoImaginationUsername Thu 06-Nov-14 16:38:20

What is the point of the Masons? What do they do in the meetings?

Is it a social thing? Like how a friend of mine describes the golf club "The golf is good, but its about so much more than that. Its great for making business contacts and people like to go there to be 'seen' socially".

I have always wondered!

WooWooOwl Thu 06-Nov-14 16:40:12

YABU.

I know quite a few lovely masons. You probably do as well, you just aren't aware that they're masons.

EustaciaBenson Thu 06-Nov-14 16:41:53

Quite a few of my friends are masons and they arent creepy, if you saw a load of people in suits coming out of a bank you probably wouldnt think anything of it.

Wishfulmakeupping Thu 06-Nov-14 16:43:16

Yabu
It's not creepy or racist- not in my dads lodge anyway. It seems to be a networking thing/charity focused more than anything else these days. They do a lot of good

BigRedBall Thu 06-Nov-14 16:43:54

Apparently they worship Satan and the ones of the highest order have direct meetings with him at their get togethers. They basically rule the world. I think they're the Illuminati too.

(disclaimer: I may or may not have read a few fictitious Dan Brown books and plucked out the information from there).

2kidsintow Thu 06-Nov-14 16:45:52

My Grandad, Dad, BIL were and are all masons. We have a great Ladies' evening dinner dance once a year that gives me an excuse to wear a posh frock and eat a nice dinner.

RainbowRabbit33 Thu 06-Nov-14 16:51:37

Is it me or is someone playing some kind of AIBU bingo this week? We've got 'why are non-parents here', 'what is it with the masons' and 'why is NM shit' threads running...

Anyway, I know several masons, and my Dad was a member of two lodges over the years and it doesn't seem in the least bit creepy to me. If it floats their boats to wear a pinny, so be it. Doesn't do me any harm, and I have never seen anyone get any advantage through their creepy contacts.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now