Talk

Advanced search

To ask a question about wild mice in the house.

(10 Posts)
aboxofrats Thu 06-Nov-14 13:48:49

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

WitchWay Thu 06-Nov-14 14:16:48

Wild mice grin they sound ferocious

Get a cat.

They chew all sorts of stuff that you wouldn't consider food - papers, cloth, cables...

MagpieCursedTea Thu 06-Nov-14 14:19:58

My cats tend to bring in live ones, get bored then we have to catch the mice.
So they're about as useful as I've been on this thread.

WitchWay Thu 06-Nov-14 14:21:53

We only ever get dead presents from the cats & they usually leave them outside the back door, thank goodness.

grin

jazzandh Thu 06-Nov-14 14:23:59

Can you see where it can possibly be coming in from?

We had a mouse in our loft last winter......

Finally found an outside hole that it must have been coming in from and blocked it. Trapped mouse in the loft (after the bloody thing had destroyed loads of stuff!)

What sort of traps have you used......

I used the ones with the bait inside (sort of a sealed box) and the thing died in it (supposed to be very quick so they don't crawl off and die).

To be honest when I saw the damage it had done I lost all sympathy!

DangerousBeanz Thu 06-Nov-14 14:25:03

I'd say get a cat. If a cat lives in a house it discourages mice from coming in. Ours only ever leave us very small stomachs on the kitchen floor

rocketjam Thu 06-Nov-14 14:25:44

They look for warmth and will find food whenever they can.

An old tick is to put down a tray such as a baking tray, and scatter plain flour over it, where you think the mice are going and you should see traces in the morning where they have walked.

I would go full blast if I were you - traps, sticky traps, mice-friendly traps, whatever you can find. Check your food cupboards too you might find more 'evidence'.

DollyParsnip Thu 06-Nov-14 14:31:38

We get mice this time of year, every year since we've been here (they come in when the weather cools down). It could be that the warmer weather has tempted them back outside again? <optimistic>.

We put down humane traps and take them to local woods. Tbh we get a flurry of them over maybe 3/4 weeks then nothing unt tje next year.

We have covered external airbricks with special mouse mesh, plugged gaps in floorboards with wire wool (and taped a carpet runner down on the floorboards under the stairs) and put traps in all places we've seen them in the past.

The other thing you could do is put a piece of chocolate (mint Aero is loved here!) or peanut butter in the centre of a paper plate and dust the edge of the plate with flour (or cocoa if on a light floor) then see if you get disturbances or footprints around it. Should tell you if you still have any mice wandering about!

PeppermintPasty Thu 06-Nov-14 14:31:52

Be thankful you don't have a cat who brings in brown RATS, still alive.

Disclaimer:I live in the countryside so none of your horrid sewer/underground rats round here thank you. But still....

...they then torture them and kill em in the kitchen. Along with the mice, shrews, voles, fluffy bunnies et al.

I realise this is unhelpful grin

DollyParsnip Thu 06-Nov-14 14:32:11

Ooh, CSI Mice X post!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now