Talk

Advanced search

to be annoyed with my sister

(13 Posts)
sanityisamyth Thu 06-Nov-14 06:24:29

Yes, sorry, me again and my family issues!

My Dsis is staying with us at the moment as she's got a temp job near where we live (20 mins drive compared to over an hour if she was to stay other our mother).

Was leaving for work yesterday and my 10 mo son was playing with my keys and held them out. I also had hold of them (as they're quite heavy). Dsis was lying on the sofa (no spare bed) and hadn't got up yet and said to my son "drop those on my head and I'll kill you, child"

She's no actual threat to him it it really annoyed me, especially calling him "child". He has a name FFS.

Should I suggest she finds somewhere else to crash?

ChampagneTastes Thu 06-Nov-14 06:28:58

Yabu - it was a throw away comment to someone who couldn't understand it. Not particularly nice but just a turn of phrase.

Idontseeanysontarans Thu 06-Nov-14 06:31:57

I call my DC's child all the time - it's not an insult, he is a child!
The comment was a bit snappy but no reason to kick her out. YABU.

Playthegameout Thu 06-Nov-14 06:35:03

I think yabu. To me, the way she used "child" emphasises that it was a jokey comment.

CSIJanner Thu 06-Nov-14 06:38:10

I sense a backstory...

In light of what you've just written, I'd have a word about mutual respect, how things are said as even something meant jokily can have a piss poor reception. Consider it strike 1

If there is a backstory and this is just the tip of the iceberg, then you have 2 options

1-get rid. You're doing her a favour and are potentially out of pocket by her being there. You're definitely out of personal space which is another clincher.
2-have words about unacceptable ways of speaking plus mutual respect. Last and final warning.

Personally I find situations where people long term crashing on sofas tend to harm relationships. My worst argument with DH was when a relative stayed with weird hours working and had their own room!

sanityisamyth Thu 06-Nov-14 06:44:29

Oh there's a massive backstory. We get on ok but we're not close. She's much closer to my other sister who's psychotic. None of the rest of my family speak to me or are interested in my son. She's only interested when there's something in it for her (I.e. Somewhere to crash when she needs it.).

On Tuesday she said "won't it be nice when he's a couple of years older when he's actually human". Ummm what?!

Preciousbane Thu 06-Nov-14 06:51:54

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

TrendStopper Thu 06-Nov-14 07:14:39

If you don't want her there ask her to leave. It is quite simple. You don't even need a reason, it is your house.

GrannyGoggles Thu 06-Nov-14 07:15:38

YANBU, the comment 'I'll kill you' is more offensive than calling him 'child' IMO. Clearly not meant but unpleasant. A quiet word about language and tone?

firesidechat Thu 06-Nov-14 07:23:58

I may be reading this wrong but the comments you describe sound just like my flippant sense of humour. I wouldn't say exactly what she said but something similar, if a bit kinder. She doesn't actually think that your child isn't human and I think most people would understand what she was trying to say ie babies are a bit boring to a lot of us and are much more interesting when you can do stuff with them. In the nicest possible way, you seem a bit over sensitive.

Moreisnnogedag Thu 06-Nov-14 07:24:47

Agh I think yabu. But we each have our own turns of phrases which wind is up. Replace the word 'child' with 'idiot' or 'stupid' and I'd be fuming.

pictish Thu 06-Nov-14 07:50:48

Hmm...I think it may be a sense of humour clash tbh. It's the sort of thing I would say. Sorry. blush

pictish Thu 06-Nov-14 07:55:00

Especially the bit about it being better when he's human. blush grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now