Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To think people should be a lot more concerned about banning

(27 Posts)
Ir1na Wed 05-Nov-14 20:47:16

nuclear and chemical weapons, and unnecessary wars, than fireworks?
If the noise is upsetting to the thousands of people who have been traumatized in various wars, then I have sympathy for them but I really don't think the fireworks are the main problem with the situation!!
angry

maninawomansworld Wed 05-Nov-14 20:53:15

In theory you are right, however it's far easier to have a moan and ban something easy like fireworks.
Eradicating war, nuclear and chemical weapons would be far too much like hard work!

I do agree though, for a few days either side of bonfire night people should just suck it up and let the rest of us enjoy ourselves.
Some people are irresponsible, granted, but the police already have quite already wide ranging powers to deal with them. People messing about with fireworks can be had for causing a public nuisance / disturbing the peace / endangering members of the public etc. New laws aren't what is needed, what is needed is for people to be a bit more tolerant of each other.

IsabellaPong Wed 05-Nov-14 20:56:05

First world problems innit

LadyLuck10 Wed 05-Nov-14 20:59:02

Do you not think people already are concerned? What makes you think they aren't? And more importantly what do you expect anyone to do?

LosingTheWillToSkate Wed 05-Nov-14 21:08:47

Well they're 2 completely separate issues aren't they!

Personally I don't have a problem with fireworks, but can fully see why other people, especially those with small children or pets, find them a nuisance. Fireworks would be an easily effectable cause. Nuclear weaponry is not something that any of us can have any bearing on.

Idontseeanysontarans Wed 05-Nov-14 21:13:03

Or people can be concerned and opposed to 2 or more things at once...
I'm actively opposed to nuclear weapons and happy to bitch about the fireworks that have been going off for the last 4 fucking hours.

lougle Wed 05-Nov-14 21:16:05

Oh that's where we're going wrong -we should just ban war! Why didn't someone think of that?

Shlep Wed 05-Nov-14 21:22:47

You can worry about both.

Tbh, banning all but public displays of fireworks would mean nothing to me as I live right next to a park...there's been three firework displays so far (one on Sat, a kid one today and a late one just a bit ago). The dogs hate it and my grandmother (who has cPTSD) can just about deal with it, although she doesn't want to ban fireworks as it's only the banging and whining ones (especially the whining eeeeeee sounding ones) and not fountains, Catherine wheels etc, and she sees it as her difficulty- she used to like fireworks when she was a kid.

People can actually do something about banning fireworks, if they want to. I don't want to ban fireworks at all, but if loads of people wanted to, they could start a petition, get it into the House of Commons and get a law passed. It's doable. Banning nuclear weapons? Not so doable.

Ir1na Wed 05-Nov-14 21:31:20

Okay I don't want to ban fireworks and get rather annoyed when people suggest it! Although I think they shouldn't be allowed after midnight (or half past midnight, for New Year).

And banning nuclear weapons could be doable if enough people worldwide were concerned. Stopping wars entirely is probably not possible though.

LosingTheWillToSkate Sat 08-Nov-14 15:23:45

Banning nuclear weaponry is not a possibility, regardless of how many people are actively opposed to it.

The technology exists. It has been used. It remains a threat as there will always remain people who are in positions of power who opt to ignore rules. As long as that threat exists, other civilised nations will have nuclear weaponry as a form of deterrence for those other nations, and a means of defence.

LoopyLoopyLoopy Sat 08-Nov-14 15:28:40

I'm concerned about the things you mention as well as fireworks.

If you think about dogs' reactions to fireworks, imagine how hedgehogs, badgers and squirrels feel. They often die of fright. sad

Plus, friend's toddler was hit by one.

But it is a bit like saying 'why are people so concerned with drink driving when there are terrorists' isn't it?

RinseyMinceySpider Sat 08-Nov-14 15:37:25

When my neighbours start setting off nuclear bombs in their gardens, we'll talk.

SmilesandPilesOfPresents Sat 08-Nov-14 18:28:12

My next door neighbour is cuurently on day 18 of setting off fireworks in his garden angry

A nuclear bomb would only be once.

bodhranbae Sat 08-Nov-14 18:40:01

Smiles we must have the same neighbour.
I am now so sick of his interminable fucking fireworks that I am quite prepared to revoke my lifelong CND membership and obliterate the bugger.

SmilesandPilesOfPresents Sat 08-Nov-14 18:43:54

Tempting isn't it?

TheVermiciousKnid Sat 08-Nov-14 19:14:20

Right now I hate the fucking things. There seem to be several firework parties in our village and one of our dogs is absolutely terrified. She's been badly mistreated in the past and is scared of everything anyway, but right now she's worse than I've ever seen her. angry

The argument that nuclear bombs are worse is pointless. By that logic we shouldn't complain about or try to ban most things because, hey, nuclear bombs are worse.

maddening Sat 08-Nov-14 19:25:22

I doubt the despots around the world would respond to us banning weapons and wars - perhaps a strongly worded letter might help?

StrattersFeeear Sat 08-Nov-14 19:32:45

Have fun trying to ban war, that's never going to happen.

Fireworks, on the other hand, we can do something about.

SDTGisASpookyWoooolefGenius Sat 08-Nov-14 19:36:53

Ir1na - it isn't an either/or situation - people can campaign on both issues.

And I am afraid I would like to see the sale of fireworks restricted to properly organised displays. I have spent several nights already comforting a totally freaked-out dog who hates the fireworks. She scrambles up,onto the back of the sofa and drapes herself round my neck - this is her 'safe place' in times of stress. It is uncomfortable for me, and more importantly, it is not good for her as she has damaged the cruciate ligaments in both knees - and I am eager to avoid her hurting herself even more whilst she waits for the surgery she needs.

If she isn't climbing onto the back of the sofa, she is lying as close to me as she can get, trembling uncontrollably. It was horrible watching how unhappy she was, as all around our neighbourhood, people were letting off their fireworks. Was her unhappiness and distress a fair price for their fun?

And what about the injuries - often life-changing - that happen each year, due to people either being careless with fireworks or having accidents? Burnt and scarred children and adults - I think campaigning for something that could reduce this injury-count is a good thing.

StrattersFeeear Sat 08-Nov-14 19:42:31

One's just gone off on my futility room roof. Cunting neighbours, can't even fire them straight angry

SmilesandPilesOfPresents Sat 08-Nov-14 19:44:18

They are a hazzard. Why on earth people are allowed to buy them I'll never know. They are an explosive FFS and can do some serious damage.

AlpacaLypse Sat 08-Nov-14 19:52:46

I love a good firework display. Which in my opinion means seriously big fireworks, the sort that you can't actually buy in shops. I find the ones that you can get in supermarkets are quite simply not up to the job, so what's the point of them? All they do is annoy the neighbours.

If fireworks were restricted to organised displays on November 5th, New Year and the odd special occasion, there'd be a chance for those of us who have nervous pets or who are distressed by loud bangs for whatever reason to be prepared.

OP I would love to see nuclear and chemical weapons banned. Unfortunately that Pandora's Box has been opened and can never be closed.

MiaowTheCat Sat 08-Nov-14 19:54:03

Poor DD2, who normally can sleep through anything, has had a good 3-4 nights now of neighbours setting off fireworks in our quite close together back gardens and she's been jumping bolt upright with each one until nearly 11pm most evenings. Both kids are so tired they've actually had to miss out on the organised early display we were planning on taking them to this weekend because of the back garden prats around here.

It's been worse than normal here - I don't know if tesco doing their fucking BOGOF offer on them's behind it or what - but even our dog who is normally fairly bomb proof in terms of tolerating them is getting unnerved by it all this year.

StrattersFeeear Sat 08-Nov-14 19:57:47

Please sign

SmilesandPilesOfPresents Sat 08-Nov-14 19:58:26

the sort that you can't actually buy in shops.

My fucktard of a neighbour ships them in from china. He has a shop selling them and because he's self employed he's still got a front to carry on buying them. They are stored under the house, next to the gas pipes, the water mains and the electric. DICK. There's fuck all I can do about it too.

It sounds like downtown Beiruit at the moment. He must be lighting 15-20 at a time, he's got his mate helping him.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now