Talk

Advanced search

To think that LARC should be promoted more?

(31 Posts)
nobodyishomerightnow Wed 05-Nov-14 18:36:06

I know that it already is to some extent and that HCPs have to make people aware of alternative methods of contraception if someone wants to go on the pill but I'm still not sure if there's really enough awareness out there.

LARC is more reliable than the pill and has less chance of failing which would help prevent unplanned pregnancies. I don't think I've ever heard of anyone falling pregnant on the implant for instance (when fitted correctly) however I know lots of people who fell pregnant on the pill.

Most people do seem to default to the pill when choosing contraception and there are still lots of people who are wary about trying LARC. Even though LARC often has fewer side effects than the pill.

I really do think there needs to be an even bigger push towards LARC, especially towards teenagers who might find it hard to remember to take a pill every day.

callamia Wed 05-Nov-14 18:40:19

You know you don't actually say what it is, or how it works.

I'm assuming it's an implant, but I've no idea.

Bunbaker Wed 05-Nov-14 18:44:37

I'm guessing it's an implant as well, which kind of highlights why it needs to be made more aware of. I have never heard of it.

(Mind you, I am far too old for contraception these days)

Velve Wed 05-Nov-14 18:46:08

Actually whenever I've been to the GP to talk about contraception they've pushed LARC at me. But I can only take low or no oestrogen contraceptives so my options are limited.

ShadowKat Wed 05-Nov-14 18:46:21

Never heard of LARC either. But also guessing it's an implant from the way it's being talked about in the OP.

nobodyishomerightnow Wed 05-Nov-14 18:46:50

LARC is long acting reversable contraception. It's basically the implant, the injection and the coil.

SaucyJackOLantern Wed 05-Nov-14 18:47:30

I just had one put in this morning funnily enough.

Not sure if YANBU. I think it's quite widely publicised. It's entirely up to the individual whether they want one.

Studyingmummy Wed 05-Nov-14 18:47:30

LARC= Long Action Reversible Contraception

Dawndonnaagain Wed 05-Nov-14 18:54:29

DD is having real trouble with her implant. It will be coming out soon.
Unfortunately she can't take the pill, so we will be looking at other options.

seaweed123 Wed 05-Nov-14 19:16:31

There are lots of benefits of the pill over LARC so I don't think you can assume that it's just laziness.

Some people forget to take the pill, but in 15 years, I only did once, and that was in the last month, when I was planning to stop anyway.

I've not taken the pill in 18 months, and still have a moment most mornings where I think "shit, I forgot to take my pill".

I can't take it now, so got the coil, which is fine. But I wish I could still a) predict my period to the hour it would start b) delay it easily if needed.

OohOod Wed 05-Nov-14 19:24:55

It's pretty commonly recommended here. I keep getting offered it anyway despite being sterilised

EhricLovesTheBhrothers Wed 05-Nov-14 19:40:49

It's promoted loads. And I don't want it, I'm very happy with the pill.

LegoCaltrops Wed 05-Nov-14 19:54:35

It doesn't suit everyone.

I had an arm implant. All good, umtil I wanted to get pregnant. I got it removed. Allegedly fertility should return to normal fairly quickly. Does it hell! I had 2 years of trying, not knowing why we couldn't conceive, both tested, no apparent issues. We were looking at adoption. I got ill & we stopped trying for a few months, then I went on Roaccutane (you absolutely have to use contraception if you're on it - we abstained). After a safe period after I finished the treatment, we started trying again, and got pregnant first time. Midwife said, we we not the first couple who had experienced problems after an arm implant.

Mirena coil - killed my libido, completely. Grumpy monster, like permanent PMT. Couldn't concentrate on anything.

Copper coil, I've had it a few months. It was fine at first but I've spent the last 3 weeks bleeding. It's either causing some weird hormal thing or it's not a very good contraceptive & this was an early MC.

CarpeJugulum Wed 05-Nov-14 19:58:47

LARC and doses of hormones turn me into a raging ball of fury. I put on weight and lose my libido.

My GP now accepts that it doesn't work for me, and I'm back to condoms, although she has offered me a permanent solution with a hysterectomy, but I'm not ready for that yet, despite not currently wanting any more children.

guinnessgirl Wed 05-Nov-14 20:06:50

I do think that LARC should be mentioned alongside the pill when women first start using contraceptives. Something like 11 years ago for me, and the doctor basically wrote me a prescription for the pill without talking through any alternatives. The most common pill really didn't work for me (panic attacks in the middle of the night!) plus I'm terrible at remembering to take anything regularly. Got put onto a different pill but just didn't get on with it. So I asked about alternatives after two years of stress and bother. Opted for a mirena coil, and yes, it hurt like fuck having it put in, but I basically just stopped having periods and never worried again! I wish I'd known about it sooner.

AMumInScotland Wed 05-Nov-14 20:15:32

They mention it to me every time I go in to get a new prescription for the Pill. I think they have tarhets to mention it to some number/percentage of patients?

I find the Pill convenient, and it makes sure my periods are very predic
table and controlled - LARC methods wouldn't give me that, the effects are far less predictable.

I think most young people these days are aware of options like the implant. aren't they?

SevenZarkSeven Wed 05-Nov-14 20:22:33

I also would not have known what LARC was.

Although would have known if implant / coil were. Is the injection that depo thing people talk about? Anyway, not relevant for me at the moment.

FWIW I had a Mirena and it was a total fucking nightmare.

I was on the pill from age 16 to 32 and didn't miss them at all and had no side effects or anything.

There are question marks over at least the Mirena as far as I am concerned, and I'm not the only one.

So it's not as straightforward as OP makes out + these things ARE pushed aren't they, they were for me.

SevenZarkSeven Wed 05-Nov-14 20:24:56

The thing everybody should be pushing to the max is CONDOMS TBH even if used in combination with something else.

That is the message we need to be getting out there across the age groups, unless in monogamous & fairly confidently disease free scenarios IYSWIM.

BeckyLivesThreeDoorsDown Wed 05-Nov-14 20:40:54

I think they're pushed enough already as it is IMO.

I was on the pill quite happily for four years with no problems and the only side effects were postive ones - regular periods, the option to run packs together so you could skip a period or choose when to have one (very important to me as a swimmer and sports player), less painful periods, clearer skin, etc.

But then I was coaxed to try the injection and implant by my GP (obviously not both at the same time). He told me how wonderful they both were but tbh they were both a nightmare for me. Horrible mood swings, acne, really bad headaches to the point I would often be sick and non stop periods.

I'm now back on the pill which I am happy with. My GP did also try to push a coil on me after I'd had a hard time on the injection and implant but no fucking way! It's just not worth the risk to try something that I might not get on with when the pill works fine for me.

werewolfinladderedtights Wed 05-Nov-14 21:05:24

Both my self and my daughter had terrible side effects from the injections. I would recommend long term contraception to anyone because of my own experiences.
I don't think there has been nearly enough research into the long term effects either.

werewolfinladderedtights Wed 05-Nov-14 21:06:24

Wouldnt not would, sorry predictive text.

fairgame Wed 05-Nov-14 21:10:10

My GP pushes LARCs because they are targeted on it. I've been on the pill for years and i like the fact that i am in control of it. I can usually manage a few years on a type of pill before it disagrees with me and i need to change to another one. It wouldn't be as simple as a quick GP visit to change a LARC like it is for a pill.
I've been on the pill for 9 years and not got pregnant. I read somewhere recently that most pill pregnancies are due to user error.

RevoltingPeasant Wed 05-Nov-14 21:13:08

OP there is a thread on the Pregnancy board right now from a woman who thinks she got pg on the implant.

No I don't think any form of invasive contraceptive should be "promoted" to women. You get loads of women on here who have evidently had the hard sell about the Mirena coil etc and ended up really unhappy. Women should be advised about the options and tarted like they have actual brains.

Personally I don't do hormonal contraceptives. I am lucky that my periods don't cause me trouble and I don't see the need to pump myself full of artificial stuff whose long term effects aren't, IMO, fully understood yet.

Other women can do what they like but I'd be seriously fucked off if my GP saw their job as "promoting" invasive long term medications that aren't necessarily medically indicated.

RevoltingPeasant Wed 05-Nov-14 21:14:12

*treated like they have brains....

NitramAtTheKrap Wed 05-Nov-14 21:21:34

My cousin got pregnant three times, once on the pill, once with an implant and once on the injection, so I'm not convinced...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now