Talk

Advanced search

Lobsters

(140 Posts)
BitchesGetStuffDone Wed 05-Nov-14 16:02:50

My OH has brought home 2 live lobsters, expecting me to kill and cook them.

I am freaking out. I looked in to their little lobster eyes and they seemed to be saying "Please don't kill us, just put us back in the sea."

I can hear them moving about in the kitchen.

I told him to do it himself but he thinks I am being unreasonable. AIBU for not wanting to kill and cook them?

SophiaPetrillo Wed 05-Nov-14 16:04:45

Do you like eating lobster? If you do, you should have no trouble going through the process that gets them to your table. In other news, if your DH wants them, he should get on with it and deal with them himself.

lemisscared Wed 05-Nov-14 16:05:42

Put them back in the sea poor things

At least if you must kill them do it humanely. It is NOT ok just to cook them they suffer sad

Theorientcalf Wed 05-Nov-14 16:06:43

Tell him if he wants lobster, he can do it, else you'll be taking them on a trip to the sea side.

pippinleaf Wed 05-Nov-14 16:07:35

There is a place behind their 'neck' that you spear them through to kill them. I simply could not do it. I'm vegetarian though.

Theorientcalf Wed 05-Nov-14 16:09:42

Aren't you meant to freeze them first so they go to sleep? Or am I making that up.

lemisscared Wed 05-Nov-14 16:11:10

kb.rspca.org.au/what-is-the-most-humane-way-to-kill-lobsters-and-other-crustaceans_79.html.

It is not not considered humane to freeze them.

70isaLimitNotaTarget Wed 05-Nov-14 16:11:12

Did the fishmonger give any advice on how to dispatch them humanely.

Do you live near the sea?
If you look into their little lobster eyes , your DH will be getting tinned Spam for tea.
Don't Look Into Their Eyes

70isaLimitNotaTarget Wed 05-Nov-14 16:12:59

Some people freeze goldfish to kill them (but that's not considered humane. You need clove oil to knock them out first then freeze)

I had to dispatch the goldfish earlier this year.

TheCraicDealer Wed 05-Nov-14 16:13:38

I think I could spear them, but definitely couldn't boil them alive. What am I, William the Conqueror's henchman? There's definitely a hierarchy of how to kill a lobster.

Territt16 Wed 05-Nov-14 16:15:17

Unacceptable methods include the removal of any part of the animal while it is still alive, placing the animal into fresh water (causing osmotic shock, through absorption of water into the cells), placing live crustaceans into boiling water, or serving any crustacean live for consumption.

BitchesGetStuffDone Wed 05-Nov-14 16:24:26

I certainly won't be eating them.

He would never just boil them alive but he is not prepared to cut them as per the instructions on the RSPCA website and somehow thinks I should do it?!

They're not from a fishmonger, if they were I'd demand he take them back!

lemisscared Wed 05-Nov-14 16:28:01

So how are you going to kill them? Because i should imagine they are pretty distressed just now? Why can't he do it?

OnIlkleyMoorBahTwat Wed 05-Nov-14 16:30:01

What on earth was your DH thinking, bringing them home and assuming that you would do the unpleasant bit for him. confused.

Fine if he planned to do it himself, or if he knew that you are happy to, but it's a fairly big and stupid assumption otherwise angry.

I would be prepared to kill a lobster but probably never would attempt it as I would be scared of not doing it quickly and causing suffering. I don't like lobster that much anyway.

SophiaPetrillo Wed 05-Nov-14 16:32:48

If you're not eating them and DH isn't prepared to dispatch them, take them back to the sea. He's got a total cheek expecting someone else to do the dirty work. Poor old things, put them back in the sea and tell him to go buy a fish supper.

Topseyt Wed 05-Nov-14 16:33:51

I have to say that I wouldn't be too keen on hearing my evening meal still alive and moving around in the kitchen. I would far rather buy my meat and fish ready prepared.

I know some top chefs and seafood connoisseurs have said before that lobsters should be cooked whilst still alive!!! I am sure I have read or heard the likes of Jamie Oliver saying that. sad I think it is barbaric and it is one of the reasons I would never consider ordering lobster in a restaurant (even if I could afford it). Freezing them is no better. Would anyone else like to be frozen to death in an airless container such as a domestic freezer?

If you can make yourself do it, then please just make as sure as you can that they are killed as quickly and cleanly as possible so that they don't suffer. I don't envy you though.

Frusso Wed 05-Nov-14 16:37:39

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

FreckledLeopard Wed 05-Nov-14 16:38:00

Well, I suppose, if you've eaten lobster in the past, you ought to be prepared to kill it yourself. Similarly, those getting anxious at the thought of suffering lobsters should probably acknowledge the general levels of suffering going on in the average abattoir. If you want to eat meat, you should, in my view, be prepared to kill and prepare it yourself. It's a bit hypocritical otherwise.

Topseyt Wed 05-Nov-14 16:40:33

He would never just boil them alive but he is not prepared to cut them as per the instructions on the RSPCA website and somehow thinks I should do it?!

They're not from a fishmonger

So he got them from the sea then. Take them back there. I would. If your husband wants lobster that badly then send him to buy some already prepared from the supermarket.

Don't keep live sea creatures in the house when neither of you is willing to kill them. Surely they will become very distressed, and for no good reason.

SleepyMcgee Wed 05-Nov-14 16:41:02

Keep them in your bath as pets

plecofjustice Wed 05-Nov-14 16:41:04

Get him to get one of these??
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crustastun

plecofjustice Wed 05-Nov-14 16:42:02

Don't take them to the sea, by the way. They are not shallow water animals and will probably die if just dropped into the waves. Also, they may be carrying diseases lethal to local seacreatures.

lemisscared Wed 05-Nov-14 16:42:18

Freckled has a point but at least there are welfare guidelines with meat production that in this country has to be adhered to.

I would kill the lobster so long as i was confident of being humane.

They are actually quite intelligent animals sad

brainfidget Wed 05-Nov-14 16:44:05

I once drove some live oysters from a supermarket an hour down the motorway to take them back to the sea. And they didn't even have sad pleading eyes.

<misses point of thread>

Boomtownsurprise Wed 05-Nov-14 16:48:38

What are you going to do with them tgen?

Frighten neighbour...? Drop em in his pond (evil laugh)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now