Talk

Advanced search

whole earth baked beans are very healthy

(35 Posts)
toriuk Wed 05-Nov-14 15:29:55

My friend just called them junk still. They are sweetened with apple juice and have sea salt. Half a tin is 1.2g of salt (not sodium). Them with sweet potato and goats cheese seems very healthy to me.

LaurieFairyCake Wed 05-Nov-14 15:33:27

From a thread the other day loads of folk think baked beans are junk food

They are wrong.

MamaMed Wed 05-Nov-14 15:34:06

OP, how do they taste?

WorraLiberty Wed 05-Nov-14 15:34:38

Throw them at her head.

patronisingbitchinthewardrobe Wed 05-Nov-14 15:35:00

unless they've improved radically recently, they're hard and a bit weird in flavour.

MrsTerrorPratchett Wed 05-Nov-14 15:35:26

Goat's cheese is high in salt isn't it? <sniggers>

MollyHooper Wed 05-Nov-14 15:36:02

What Worra said.

NorwaySpruce Wed 05-Nov-14 15:37:14

I suppose 'healthy' is relative.

Cinnamon and apple juice, with tomatoes and beans sounds revolting though.

NoRoomInTheInn Wed 05-Nov-14 15:38:13

I think beans are great, but don't understand why they have to have sugar in them; sugar in 'savoury' food is a real bugbear of mine.

Concentrated apple juice is essentially sugar, and sea salt is as much sodium as table salt. I'd just stick with Tesco healthy options to have less of these.

toriuk Wed 05-Nov-14 15:38:40

They taste lovely. Maybe not Heinz but a million miles away from tinned toms and beans.

Bluetonic123 Wed 05-Nov-14 15:39:26

Yabu

The only acceptable form of baked beans is heinz

youareallbonkers Wed 05-Nov-14 15:40:39

Everything is healthy in moderation, nothing is healthy when eaten to excess.. They are still processed with added salt and sugar so I wouldn't proclaim them as very healthy

dottytablecloth Wed 05-Nov-14 15:40:47

Healthy in what context?

Depends what else you or your child eats.

MirandaGoshawk Wed 05-Nov-14 15:42:55

YANBU They taste different from the usual brands because they taste like actual food rather than sweetened pap. It comes down to preference. Your friend is ignorant.

LaurieFairyCake Wed 05-Nov-14 15:46:55

I think you might be taking the word 'processed' a bit far.

They're cooked haricot beans in tomato sauce.

No one bloody grows haricot beans themselves, they take up too much space - it's a food that really needs acres. No one on my allotments grows it, we all grow stuff that's expensive or hard to get.

It's a bean, in tomato sauce - 'processed' is just not appropriate as it has so many negative connotations.

Processed to me is turning something that looks like food into something else. Like reshaping Turkey testicles into dinosaurs.

PercyHorse Wed 05-Nov-14 15:52:23

Beans, sweet potato and goat's cheese???

envy vom

JackSkellington Wed 05-Nov-14 15:53:25

All I remember of these beans is that they taste awful (usually a fan of Whole Earth products too).

5madthings Wed 05-Nov-14 15:56:45

I love whole earth baked beans, haven't had them for a while, dp tends to buy Heinz. So they are on my list to buy.
And yes baked beans are perfectly healthy, well if they were the only thing you ate that wouldn't be healthy but as part of a varied diet etc. Everything on moderation.

NorwaySpruce Wed 05-Nov-14 15:57:43

The list of ingredients is really odd actually.

If I wanted to cook beans in a tomato based sauce, I can't imagine throwing in apple juice concentrate, cinnamon, cloves.... and dill .

It sounds like Rachel's recipe for shepherds pie, is it dinner, is it pudding? grin

5madthings Wed 05-Nov-14 15:58:19

I love sweet potato and goats cheese, I normally just ate the whole earth beans on toast but am inspired to try them on sweet potato, do you roast your sweet potato?

5madthings Wed 05-Nov-14 15:58:50

Roast? Bake I mean? Going made.

ouryve Wed 05-Nov-14 15:59:05

They're delicious, too.

Sadly, I've not seen them on sale for years.

ouryve Wed 05-Nov-14 16:03:20

And I'm bewildered by people's bewilderment at the ingredients.

I suppose if you can't deal with that, then there's always Branston beans, where one of the ingredients is "flavouring"
www.sainsburys.co.uk/shop/gb/groceries/branston-baked-beans-410g

5madthings Wed 05-Nov-14 16:40:55

Using fruit juice as a sweetener is not unusual in food anyway. Nor are the other ingredients odd.

God I am going to have to go to town to go to our wholefoods supplier and see if they have them, I will be really cross if they don't.

specialsubject Wed 05-Nov-14 16:59:56

that's nice.

I happen to have a tin of Aldi everyday essentials beans here so have done a comparison. The 100g figures show Aldi beans have slightly less salt, a bit less protein and almost exactly the same amount of simple sugar. Guessing that there is a bit more water in it as the calorie count is lower, but the difference isn't worth the approx three times the price you pay for 'organic'.

no food is unhealthy in itself. And the Aldi beans are very nice too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now