Talk

Advanced search

Why are toothpaste and shaving blades so fucking expensive?!!

(53 Posts)
kissmethere Wed 05-Nov-14 14:30:41

Why? WHY? On a budget, Pro Namel is nearly �5. Everywhere! Cannot buy replacement Venus blades as they're nearly �10.
I always spend an eon looking for a good deal and never find one. I prefer pro namel as it seems to be the only paste that makes my teeth feel clean but end up with a cheaper option. Don't understand it.
Rant over...

JuniperTisane Wed 05-Nov-14 14:31:54

Premium brand, premium price. My toothpaste costs 49p in the supermarket <shrug>

Espii Wed 05-Nov-14 14:34:39

I get my razor blades from Asda and they always have a deal on. I can't shave with crappy razors as my legs/fanjo just bleed. nah man. I have to fork out every month for new blades. I get the venus ones with the big soap bars on top, 4 blades (so a month and a half, for me) for £10.
Don't get pro-namel, then. Just get normal colgate, it's a quid from asda
I'd like to use oral B toothpaste/toothbrushes/mouthwash you name it, but it is expensive if you go for them brands.
Tone it down a bit and save yourself some pennies, OP.

KurriKurri Wed 05-Nov-14 14:34:41

I think most things can be expensive if you go for an expensive option or you are very picky.

I buy toothpaste and razors in savers - cost me less than £2. Haven't frightened anyone off with my inadequately cleaned teeth or furry legs and armpits yet.

wobblyweebles Wed 05-Nov-14 14:34:56

I am in the US and I bought a 12-pack of blades (not Venus but similar) for $30 yesterday in a wholesale store.

DH has switched to Harry's.

Never found Pronamel cheap anywhere though.

amicissimma Wed 05-Nov-14 14:36:00

Tesco and Asda toothpaste costs 25p and does the same job. It's the quality of brushing that gets teeth clean, not the paste.

Own brand razors work just as well.

CatKisser Wed 05-Nov-14 14:38:55

I buy aquafresh or colgate when they're on offer for a quid or so and they do a great job, I find. Razors - well, I shave so infrequently in Winter that a cheapo £3 pack lasts about 4 months.

wowfudge Wed 05-Nov-14 14:39:59

If I were on a budget, I wouldn't be spending that kind of money on toothpaste. I buy Aldi's.

MrsTerrorPratchett Wed 05-Nov-14 14:40:58

Venus blades FGS? Tax on being female is what they are. Use men's razors.

OnIlkleyMoorBahTwat Wed 05-Nov-14 14:41:34

I think most things can be expensive if you go for an expensive option or you are very picky

^^This. It's like the poster who said she couldn't get her grocery bill below £200 pw, but it turned out that she 'needed' to spend £12 pw on organic blueberries. Being 'on a budget' and choosing to buy the most expensive items in the shop doesn't go together unfortunately.

I probably spend less than a fiver a year on razors and toothpaste combined. Razors can be reused many times over and toothpaste lasts ages.

PizzaMama Wed 05-Nov-14 14:43:03

According to DH, they're expensive as you don't buy them all the time so to keep the companies profits high they make them expensive

doradoo Wed 05-Nov-14 14:44:13

can you buy it with boots points or similar.

bulk buy for the year? 12 tubes of pro namel are £43 on amazon - still not cheap but cheaper?

or 4 tubes for £15 on ebay........

googoodolly Wed 05-Nov-14 14:46:13

Women's razors are a massive rip-off. I started using DP's when mine ran out a few months ago and I just buy men's ones now. A pack of four is cheaper than a venus one with a spare head and it lasts a good 3-4 months.

As for toothpaste, I get whatever is on offer - normally Colgate or Aquafresh but it's only a quid a tube and it lasts two of us a couple of months minimum.

kissmethere Wed 05-Nov-14 14:51:17

I think the last time I splashed out on razors was when they were half price in tesco was probably a year ago! I shop at savers and the mens ones are expensive too so I opt for cheaper ones. Just want to not have to wait a year or so for a decent razor!
As for toothpaste, it's aquafresh or colgate which is fine but paid nearly 3 quid the other day.

Thebodynowchillingsothere Wed 05-Nov-14 14:54:57

I am firmly a bargain loving woman but found ASDA basic toothpaste didn't clean as well as Colgate total.

Have funny teeth though.

Agree with you re razors op. No idea why they are so expensive for good ones.

kissmethere Wed 05-Nov-14 14:55:06

I'm going to get a mens pack in savers at the weekend. I think it's �20 for Gillette plus refills. It's losing battle.
Also dd has just started shaving her legs and want her to use a good one.

givemushypeasachance Wed 05-Nov-14 14:56:40

Things like Colgate are always on offer every other month - most varieties are £1.00 or £1.50 in Tesco and Sainsburys at the moment, two for £3 in Asda, and they do several varieties in Poundland all year round.

OnIlkleyMoorBahTwat Wed 05-Nov-14 15:01:21

There's always an offer on branded toothpaste somewhere. Just make sure you don't run out and buy a few tubes when you see an offer on your preferred brand.

I wouldn't bother with Boots TBH. They're almost always more expensive than anywhere else and the Boots points don't change this.

Don't know about deals on razors. I just use own brand twin blade ones and it's years since I've had to buy any. DP got a deal on Gilette Mach 3 when it was the latest Gillette version, which shows how long ago that was and then he's had a beard or stubble for most of the time since then.

Sizzlesthedog Wed 05-Nov-14 15:03:01

Pro enamel is usually cheap in wilkos. That's where I get it. I stock up when I find it cheap.

Lucyccfc Wed 05-Nov-14 15:51:07

Colgate for £1 when on offer.

No real need for razors, as I am single and can't be arsed shaving. I will shave on 6th December for my night out for my birthday lol

kissmethere Wed 05-Nov-14 15:56:59

Thanks for the pointers re bargains. It's so frustrating. Really have very little to spend and look for good deals. I've got an epilator, waxes, cream etc but love a shower and a lovely shave of the old legs as it's quicker.

kissmethere Wed 05-Nov-14 16:16:59

Thanks for the pointers re bargains. It's so frustrating. Really have very little to spend and look for good deals. I've got an epilator, waxes, cream etc but love ashower and a lovely shave of the old legs as it's quicker.
Right now I look like king kongs Mrs...

jay55 Wed 05-Nov-14 16:17:41

Boots almost always have 3 for 2 on tooth products.

Razors Iv'e switched to mens, make sure I keep then dry between shaving and use cheapo value ones for lighter days.

KneeQuestion Wed 05-Nov-14 16:26:58

Poundland/99p Store for branded toothpaste.

I only ever get razors when they are offer somewhere. I only shave my legs twice a month at the most, armpits more regularly than that, so they tend to last a while.

KneeQuestion Wed 05-Nov-14 16:28:40

I tried some cheap razors a few years back, I was transported back to my teen years when I sported lacerated shins, due to those bloody orange bic razors. Never again!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now