Talk

Advanced search

To ask DD's teacher not to do what she's planning ....

(20 Posts)
listsandbudgets Wed 05-Nov-14 11:55:14

DD's class are putting on a play for parents. Auditions for parts are tomorrow morning. DD has a music lesson at the same time. She pointed this out to her teacher and said she still wanted to audition and her teacher said she would give out all the parts and then if DD did really well would take one of the parts off someone and give it to her.

AIBU to think this is a mad idea and will just set DD up to be hated by whoever loses their part (if she gets one) and could result in all sorts of tension and potentially bullying.

Really hoping DD has got the wrong idea but AIBU to ask to see her teacher after school today to talk to her about it?

listsandbudgets Wed 05-Nov-14 11:55:47

Its year 4 by the way so 8 and 9 year olds

Greyhound Wed 05-Nov-14 11:57:12

That is not a good idea, YANBU.

CocktailQueen Wed 05-Nov-14 11:58:16

That sounds mad. Does dd have the right end of the stick? I'd chat to the teacher.

NorwaySpruce Wed 05-Nov-14 11:58:58

Auditions for a whole class will likely take more than half an hour, perhaps your daughter could audition first or last, assuming the teacher wasn't being horribly sarcastic.

WandaDoff Wed 05-Nov-14 12:00:43

Yeah, thats not going to end well.

WooWooOwl Wed 05-Nov-14 12:00:47

YANBU.

Go in and ask for clarification on what the teacher said. Ask if there's any way your dd could audition at the right time but go in first or last so that she still has time for most of her music lesson? It might be worth letting her miss some of that if the school play is important to her.

WorraLiberty Wed 05-Nov-14 12:02:51

I'd definitely get the teacher to clarify.

Poor kid being given a part and then having it taken away confused

listsandbudgets Wed 05-Nov-14 12:06:59

I don't think theyre auditioning the whole class, just the 12 who've expressed an interest for the 4 main parts. The rest gets little parts either way IYSWIM.

I HOPE that what the teacher meant was that she'd make a list of parts and slot people in but not tell anyone until dd has done her audition.

All I know is that I'm sick of hearing the audition speech repeated time after time. DD woke me up with a recital of it at 6.15 this morning grin

sickntiredtoo Wed 05-Nov-14 12:07:09

Why do people always believe the ridiculously unlikely things their children tell them?

sickntiredtoo Wed 05-Nov-14 12:08:36

Oh and she'll have already decided who is doing what part and the 'auditions' are just to make t seem more important and more fair

Thebodynowchillingsothere Wed 05-Nov-14 12:22:26

Ask the teacher. Think your dd has got it slightly wrong as it really doesn't make sense does it? grin

MEgirl Wed 05-Nov-14 13:42:34

Why do people always believe the ridiculously unlikely things their children tell them?

Cynical, are we? Could it be because some kids do report accurately to their parents?

Thebodynowchillingsothere Wed 05-Nov-14 13:44:46

Mmm most don't though.

WhereAmIGoing Wed 05-Nov-14 13:52:13

You mean when the child us saying that teacher told her/him they he did really well in maths or when the child is reporting something that looks outrageous?
It's funny hie what children are saying always seen as wrong and 'this child can't be telling the truth' when it's something an another adult shouldn't have done. hmm

Having said that, I would have gone and see the teacher and asked if she could clarify how the audition is going to happen. That way you are leaving a door open for the teacher to correct herself or to correct the misunderstanding.

AMumInScotland Wed 05-Nov-14 13:57:41

YANBU to check with the teacher. But I suspect it's a misinterpretation on your daughter's side - it's an age where they often tell you what they thought someonemeant, as opposed to the actual words, and therefore not how the adult may have intended it to come across. They're such literal people sometimes!

lottiegarbanzo Wed 05-Nov-14 14:04:10

Giving people parts - and telling them they've been given those parts - are not the same thing.

That, I suspect, is the answer to the riddle.

sickntiredtoo Wed 05-Nov-14 15:07:16

A bit of common sense is needed
Why the heck would a teacher allocate parts instead of waiting 30 minutes for child to return from music lesson.And how on earth would she audition the whole class in less than 30 minutes anyway

Teacher: We'll audition for parts on Friday straight after lunch
Child: It's my piano lesson then and I really want a part
Teacher: Ok well you can audition come back
Child: but what if all the parts have gone?
Teacher: Well, if you are better than them, then you can have the part.Right everybody get your maths books out...

SilverDragonfly1 Wed 05-Nov-14 16:23:33

Hopefully sickntired is spot on, but there was someone on here last year whose daughter had her part taken away and given to another child after that child's mum complained (I think!), so it does happen.

Icimoi Wed 05-Nov-14 16:47:58

Sickntired, a bit of thread reading is also needed. The teacher isn't auditioning the whole class.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now