Talk

Advanced search

To think Tampax should stay in its packaging?

(33 Posts)
SnotandBothered Wed 05-Nov-14 09:02:32

Yes yes, I know the answer is Mooncup, but...

Every flipping time!

I always keep 2 x tampax discreetly tucked into handbag and without fail, they make their way out of the packaging and roam around my bag getting covered in bits of biscuit, tangling their string around my keys and then magnetically attach themselves to my hands every time I rummage for money/cards/anything in haste, in public.

And apart from anything else, they render themselves useless.

Why can't they stay in their packaging? Why?

I was coping with this until this morning when one catapulted itself (naked naturally) out of my bag and into my face as I was trying to find a school trip permission slip for the po-faced school receptionist.

The packaging is not fit for purpose.

Either that, or Tampax are actually alive.

CocktailQueen Wed 05-Nov-14 09:03:35

grin That happens to me too! I have to keep the lively little beggars in a zipped pocket in my bag...

ShatnersKaBOOM Wed 05-Nov-14 09:04:53

Put them in a small zipped pocket inside your bag. If your bag doesn't have one, you know what to put on your Christmas list.

skylark2 Wed 05-Nov-14 09:05:11

I think it must be the lining of your handbag. Mine don't do this.

Do Tampax still do the little plastic boxes which hold two? They used to be given away free fairly regularly, but I don't think I've seen one in a while.

NanooCov Wed 05-Nov-14 09:08:38

They had those little boxes during the world cup this summer. I recall being a bit bemused at the world cup theme!

Dumbledoresgirl Wed 05-Nov-14 09:09:04

I've lost count of the number of times I have been in a public place and absent-mindedly fiddled with something in my coat pocket, removed it, in full view of everyone, only to discover it is a spare tampon placed there probably years ago.

And yes, I do realise what that says about how often I clean coats.

I don't have experience of Tampax though. Maybe the strings give them life?

WooWooOwl Wed 05-Nov-14 09:09:13

YANBU!

This has happened to me many times, in a variety of handbags.

There should be no need to use the handbag pockets for tampax, those are for money and little things that can't be found easily. A tampax is big enough that it should be able to just go in a handbag, and they should make the packaging better.

NanooCov Wed 05-Nov-14 09:09:34

Oh and this happens to me too. Solution was to stick them in make up bag (which is actually a hello kitty pencil case).

SnotandBothered Wed 05-Nov-14 09:11:17

But it happens in every bag I've ever had - so can't be lining (leaning more and more towards the Tampax are living organism theory).

And yes, to zippy thing - I do this but I seem to be endlessly stuffing things in and out of my bag and they seem to manage to work their way out. And if they do stay in zippy thing, they still strip themselves naked eventually.

skylark I remember those - I had one at school. It was when they used to be sold 'extended' so tall and thin I think. I seem to recall boys thinking it was 'hillarious' to pretend it was a pencil case and then fall about laughing at the 'pens' hmm

Purplepixiedust Wed 05-Nov-14 09:11:25

Yep, happens to me too. I keep the, in the zipped part of my bag (when I remember).

I had forgotten about the plastic containers. They are a good idea. Had one years ago.

Captainweasel Wed 05-Nov-14 09:28:59

I think it's static between the plastic applicator the plastic coating and the wrappers which causes them to escape.

Mine live in a pouch now. To stop escapes. One too many have leapt from my bag in shops to warrant letting them roam free in my bag any more.

MissPollyAndHerDolly Wed 05-Nov-14 09:30:35

This always happens to me too. I think tampax must be alive because it never happens to condoms.

SugarplumKate Wed 05-Nov-14 09:32:34

Yes, this happens to me too. I have a little plastic thingy (given away by tampax at some point) to keep them in - like this: www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/281394271861?limghlpsr=true&hlpv=2&ops=true&viphx=1&hlpht=true&lpid=108&chn=ps&device=t&adtype=pla&crdt=0&ff3=1&ff11=ICEP3.0.0-L&ff12=67&ff13=80&ff14=108&ff19=0

Sockstealer Wed 05-Nov-14 09:32:41

Yep this happens to me too, then they're no good.

Seriously going off tampons though, as I've got older they've started giving me cramps.

cherrybombxo Wed 05-Nov-14 09:36:29

I've never experienced this! Possibly because I use non-applicator so they are tightly wrapped in clear plastic? Either way, I would be mortified if I was throwing tampons around in public places grin

SnotandBothered Wed 05-Nov-14 09:45:08

I feel like a magician except that instead of whipping out coloured scarves and white rabbits, it's endless Tampons.

Perhaps they will evolve and start binding themselves together in 'comedy' shapes - like balloon modelling?

Britain's Got Talent?

HellonHeels Wed 05-Nov-14 09:54:46

YABU for using tampax - the lengthwise expansion makes them leak grin

My tampon annoyance is the lillets boxes which always fall apart and scatter tampons throughout my bag. I keep a few in a little zipped purse now.

I've got a mooncup but find it such a faff and really messy on the heavier days.

Seeline Wed 05-Nov-14 09:56:28

I was going to say try Lillets because they are wrapped in plastic, and I have never had that problem. In fact sometimes I struggle to get them open when needed grin

BobPatandIgglePiggle Wed 05-Nov-14 10:01:19

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=tampon+holder+uk&client=ms-android-samsung&hl=en-GB&source=lnms&tbm=shop&sa=X&ei=DPVZVIehI4us7AaE24DwDg&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAQ&biw=320&bih=508 holder of

BobPatandIgglePiggle Wed 05-Nov-14 10:05:12

Link to tampax holders above - who knew there was so many! ?

I bought a set of little tins from dotcomgiftshop. You get 2 little ones and a long one.

They're all in my handbag - long one has tampax, tweezers and nail scissors. One small one has headache tablets, throat lozengers, plasters and a safety pin well I was a Brownie the other is for receipts.

crazykat Wed 05-Nov-14 10:14:55

This used to happen to me until I bought a box for them. I think it was about £2 in asda and holds four or five.

grocklebox Wed 05-Nov-14 10:34:14

you realise that the makers obviously know about this problem....but its not in their interest to fix it. If you lose a couple from each box in this way, you just have to buy more of them!

SnotandBothered Wed 05-Nov-14 11:03:04

Grockle you are right of course.

So a box/tin is what's needed then. more clumpy shit to go with overstuffed purse, keys with more key rings than keys, broken biscuits, phone, discarded rubbish handed to me by DC, various bits of Lego, 4 million things made of Loom bands and random items including stone tortoise, gardening gloves and a zero style mask. Yay.

SnotandBothered Wed 05-Nov-14 11:03:28

*Zoro

NewEraNewMindset Wed 05-Nov-14 11:12:20

This thread has made me laugh grin

I imagine it's because the tampon packaging is paper, or AF least it used to be. I use a mixture of mooncup and Tesco tampons and the packaging is a stretchy plastic that's a pain in the arse to get into, so I'm assuming would be bloody difficult for the tampon to escape from.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now