Talk

Advanced search

To charge? (and how much?)

(6 Posts)
LoopyLoopyLoopy Tue 04-Nov-14 13:13:19

A friend of DH's colleague (someone I don't know) asked around for some help with his masters - he isn't English and needed proof-reading. I am pretty good at that, so agreed, as a favour. He offered money, but I said no, totally underestimating how much work it would be.

He is now sending me about 3 documents every 2-3 weeks to correct (which does take some time, as I am a teacher by trade and like to explain why he is wrong, rather than make the correctios for him).

Would I be unreasonable to go back to him and say, sorry, I didn't realise how much work this would be, and suggest rethinking payment? And if so, how much?

Popsandpip Tue 04-Nov-14 13:19:03

YANBU.
Check out the rates on www.peopleperhour.com and get a feel from that.

hellsbellsmelons Tue 04-Nov-14 13:21:12

Absolutely.
Exactly as you've said here.
If it's a 'favour' then probably £5 per hour.
But if you want to be paid properly then then £10 per hour.

LoopyLoopyLoopy Tue 04-Nov-14 13:34:14

Love that I made a typo in a thread about proof reading!

LoopyLoopyLoopy Tue 04-Nov-14 13:51:25

Anyhow, I sent the email and he got back to me straight away with a figure of 10pounds per document - some are short and some long, but none so far have taken me an hour.

Does this sound OK? Sounds fab to me!

Popsandpip Thu 06-Nov-14 14:41:49

Yes, as long as you specify to him that all the materials he sends you will be of a similar length. Perhaps give him a total number of pages or words that he shouldn't exceed. You won't lay yourself open to any other micky-taking then.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now