Talk

Advanced search

To ask here re slapped cheek in pregnancy?

(12 Posts)
Bothofyou Tue 04-Nov-14 12:25:24

Have asked in pregnancy chat, but know it will get more traffic here. Ds aged 7 has it, dd aged 5 ok so far but a cold, I am 24 weeks. Doc has requested booking bloods checked for immunity, will know by Friday.

Feeling v nervous and stressed, any experiences of this out there? Thanks in advance.

upduffedsecret Tue 04-Nov-14 12:28:09

when the issue came up for me a couple of weeks ago (letter home from school advising 2 kids in my son's class had it) I looked it up... get the bloody test, don't stress too much.

It can cause problems, but not always. And after 20 weeks there's much less risk to your baby.
And apparently most adults are immune anyway

upduffedsecret Tue 04-Nov-14 12:28:36

*blood test, not bloody!

sorry sad

Bothofyou Tue 04-Nov-14 12:32:27

Thanks upduffed, good to hear. It really didn't help today that when I popped into midwife after seeing doc with son (at 11a.m), for matb1 form, she asked why he was there and I explained, and she told me an anecdote of a lady she knew who lost her baby late in pregnancy due to slapped cheek. She clearly knows she fucked up as she just phoned to ask if I am ok as I looked upset when she told me apparently (imagine) and to say the lady's circumstances were different to mine as I am getting checked out and in contrast she didn't know she had been exposed. Am still raging/upset though. Want my test results, but realise I have days to wait. Arg.

shakemysilliesout Tue 04-Nov-14 12:49:38

I had the blood test in early pregnancy and found out I was not immune so it was repeated a few weeks later and I hadn't caught it. Post 20 weeks you are in a much better position but it's really scary I know

SomebodyWillGetHurt Tue 04-Nov-14 13:03:27

You'll need to see the doctor for a blood test. Results will be back quickly though. You could already be immune so try not to panic.

upduffedsecret Tue 04-Nov-14 13:06:31

I'm Not 20 weeks, but was told I didn't need a test unless he caught it

CoolCat2014 Tue 04-Nov-14 13:14:25

I had to have the test as I was exposed whist pregnant. My Dr reassued me that most people will have had it as children just never realised. Happily the results came back that I was immune, but the wait was horrible.

Even if you caught the virus from what I read, the likelyhood of actual issues is quite low, but you should get extra monitoring to make sure. In the rare case that babies are affected by it there is treatment they can do in utero.

Try not to worry... easier said than done I know!

Bothofyou Wed 05-Nov-14 21:50:17

Sorry can I bump this just to ask if anyone has had slapped cheek in pregnancy and had a healthy baby? Am totally stressed about it, not least because I have a sore throat and feel crap today (probs cos I had work, CPD training, then Uni today but still). Wish blood results were instant. Any input gladly recieved!

Beeci71 Thu 06-Nov-14 10:41:29

I found out at 30 weeks' that I didn't have immunity to slapped cheek, after dc both had it. I had a blood test and received call to advise I had indeed then tested positive for slapped cheek at 32 weeks. Urgent referral made to senior consultant and had weekly growth scans/Doppler. Was told it should be fine as late stage pregnancy but was very worried. If growth slowed was told fetal transfusion would be considered if required. I said I would rather deliver. Baby born as planned by c section at 38 weeks, paediatrician at birth to check baby was ok. DS was absolutely fine, I developed pre eclampsia but totally non related as had with all three pregnancies. Level of care amazing.

Bothofyou Thu 06-Nov-14 19:31:21

Thanks so much Beeci, I really needed to hear a story like that. All I have heard so far are either "I had immunity already" or people who very sadly lost the baby. Obviously what will be will be, I just wish I knew my bloods results already!!! Glad everything turned out well for you.

hels71 Thu 06-Nov-14 19:42:29

I was exposed to it during pregnancy (I teach). I was sent home until I could prove immunity or had passed 20 weeks as I was told it was not a risk after 20 weeks. I don't know how true that is though...The blood test took nearly 2 weeks to come...by which stage I was also 20 weeks!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now