Talk

Advanced search

To think that if you advertise as a 24/7 emergency plumbing service, then you should be able to damn well supply a plumber ?

(8 Posts)
Plomino Tue 04-Nov-14 11:15:55

Yesterday evening , went to put two of the DC's to bed , to find their bedroom literally awash . It turned out there was a hole in one of the central heating pipes , which when we ripped the skirting board out ,was spraying the entire contents of the water in the pressurised system all over the floor , and which has gone down the walls into another DC's room below . Shit shit shit .

So I call the insurance company . They've taken the home assist part off the policy . Ring British gas as a one off repair . They take the details , and promise to call me back . Nothing heard since . Ring another 24/7 " we come out anytime day or night " company , take all the details . 30 minutes late , call back to say they haven't got anyone . Ring Dynorod . Their engineer has enough on his list till tomorrow . Ring another company . They promise faithfully they'll send someone . Another call back , they can't help they haven't got anyone they can send . This is now two hours on and water is still pissing everywhere . This is Norfolk , not the Shetland isles for crying out loud . In the end , I end up running down the road trying to find the house of the man with an maintenance company van on his drive , and end up banging on his door at ten at night to ask him how to at least stop it leaking . Bless his heart , he ended up coming out to help ( probably because I burst into tears in his hallway to his horror and his wife's confusion !) and managed to fix the leak , and is coming back after work to reboot the system . But for fucks sake ! To say I'm not remotely impressed with the others is an understatement . And I won't forget .

And I've had to take the day off to sort out the damage as well . Great .

grocklebox Tue 04-Nov-14 11:20:29

If they haven't got anyone available they can't send them.

And why didn't you just turn off the water instead of banging on random strangers doors at night?

Plomino Tue 04-Nov-14 11:32:02

Because it's a pressurised sealed system . Doesn't make any difference if we turned the water off or not.

You poor bugger, that must have been very stressful.

Why have BG taken Home Assist off your policy?

What s nightmare.

Plomino Tue 04-Nov-14 11:37:09

Apparently it's not a service they offer anymore . Another thing to remember when I renew the house insurance .

And DS went to feed his fish this morning only to find one belly up . More hysteria .

Chapsview Tue 04-Nov-14 11:43:44

Sorry - could not read and not comment.

If it happens again or for anybody else in this position - the lowest radiator in the house should have a drain point on it.

Turn off heating at the mains so it cannot fire up, open drain point (slowly! there is pressure in there) into a suitable container and release the pressure.

Then drain off as much as you need to to get the level to below the leak. This will be easier if you open the bleed screw in the highest radiator so air can get in to let it drain easier.

Hope that helps.

peggyundercrackers Tue 04-Nov-14 11:47:41

im surprised there was still pressure in the system after 2 hours - you could have used a bleeding key to release the pressure in the system as well... it is shitty though that you couldn't get anyone out.

Plomino Tue 04-Nov-14 11:48:11

Thank you ! I think that's what my neighbour ( who actually turns out to be a plumber !) ended up doing .

If it happens again I'm leaving home !

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now