Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

to make our home candle free over air quality concerns

(140 Posts)
toriuk Tue 04-Nov-14 08:58:42

Dp loves candles, but I've always thought they are not good with all that black smoke. We have cut down a lot, but aibu to just get rid of them all?

I hear that beeswax candles are safe, but a pack of 6 tea lights costs 5, so no way can we afford that.

Missrabbitshouldjoinaunion Tue 04-Nov-14 09:00:04

Umm I think unless someone in your household has breathing issues you should be ok with a few candles!

WalkingInMemphis Tue 04-Nov-14 09:00:17

a pack of 6 tea lights costs 5

Are you in the UK? Where the hell do you shop?!?

I can get a pack of about 100 for a fiver from the local b&ms etc.

WooWooOwl Tue 04-Nov-14 09:01:19

I have never heard of candles being considered unsafe because of the tiny amount of smoke they produce when you blow them out.

I think it would be extreme, unnecessary and unreasonable to get rid of them completely if your DH likes them.

OraProNobis Tue 04-Nov-14 09:01:39

I think the OP meant pure beeswax tealights!

I do agree though - a few candles are the least of your worries in an increasingly polluted world.

RudePepper Tue 04-Nov-14 09:01:45

I think soya candles are OK. What are the actual health concerns? I use loads.

OraProNobis Tue 04-Nov-14 09:02:35

I mean I agree with woowoo. At least I don't sound menopausally crazy this morning. Oh. Wait...........

WalkingInMemphis Tue 04-Nov-14 09:03:13

Oh right Ora. Thought that was pricey!1

RudePepper Tue 04-Nov-14 09:03:18

I think they do produce more than a tiny bit of smoke actually - I put one out yesterday as it was producing smoke as in burnt. Also when I clean the window near to where I burn candles the cloth is much blacker than other windows. However, hoping very much it is a minor problem as I love candles.

skylark2 Tue 04-Nov-14 09:03:25

I don't think you can get 100 beeswax tealights for a fiver, Walking.

DH makes candles so we have them a lot. Every so often there's one which decides it's going to smoke. We just stop using that one. Most of them are fine.

Iv'e not noticed beeswax smoking any less.

LaurieFairyCake Tue 04-Nov-14 09:03:50

Use Soy candles, not paraffin - you can buy 10kg of Soy and make your own (very easy, stupidly easy - honest)

Ordinary petroleum candies cause sooting and are bad for air quality if there's no ventilation - you have none of these problems with soy

FelixFelix Tue 04-Nov-14 09:05:55

I've never noticed any of my candles smoking when lit, and I just use the cheap Ikea vanilla ones.

maras2 Tue 04-Nov-14 09:10:26

Are you all off the 'grid'. Why the need for enough candles to exacerbate chest problems? confused Why not use a dimmer switch? Am I missing something ?

toriuk Tue 04-Nov-14 09:13:21

Normal candles do smoke a lot even if you can see it.

Thanks, where do you buy 10kg of soy wax? I've looked up buying beeswax and its pretty pricey!

I was thinking about buying dp a jo Malone candle but they are like comedy prices!

londonrach Tue 04-Nov-14 09:14:00

Tealights are really cheap. Suggest op you take your dh to ikea, poundshop or any diy shop in the uk.

www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/categories/departments/decoration/10760/

londonrach Tue 04-Nov-14 09:15:21

Sorry wrong link... www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/categories/departments/decoration/10782/

PinkSparklyElephant Tue 04-Nov-14 09:15:59

Oooh I love the smell of a candle when it's gone out!

IAmAPaleontologist Tue 04-Nov-14 09:21:29

My entire house is heated by coal. Am i fucked? We had a power cut the other week and had millions of candles. i think one of the children died.

seriously. I'm sure some candles are cleaner than others but unless they are the main firm of lighting in your home i don't think it is a health issue.

Szeli Tue 04-Nov-14 09:25:12

we use a lot of candles and my DDad warned us to crack a window due to the lack of oxygen in the room - that would happen with any candles

LaurieFairyCake Tue 04-Nov-14 09:28:58

www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00JR49ULU/ref=mp_s_a_1_5?qid=1415093257&sr=8-5&pi=AC_SX110_SY165

10kg of soy - enough for a year of candle burning for £45 smile

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Tue 04-Nov-14 09:33:36

YANBU.

Especially if you are referring to scented candles which always smell rank. I really worry about the health of people who are continually breathing in artificial scents.

Scented candles have also been implicated in the deaths of pet birds as they have very sensitive respitory systems - canary in a coal mine etc.

pictish Tue 04-Nov-14 09:45:31

Candles candles everywhere
Candles here and candles there
I love them and I just don't care
Can't get enough of candles

Candles burn on every shelf
I simply cannot help myself
Who cares about the children's health
So long as there are candles

I must confess with gravity
The depth of my depravity
The kids' deaths left a cavity
And much more room for candles

LaurieFairyCake Tue 04-Nov-14 09:46:21

grin Pictish - you are sick man

pictish Tue 04-Nov-14 09:48:42

grin

InSpaceNooneCanHearYouScream Tue 04-Nov-14 10:09:24

I remember reading something about scented candles producing carcinogens as they burn- it's nothing to do with amount of smoke produced though

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now