Talk

Advanced search

To think naming Ann Maguire's killer will lead to more public comprehension of personality disorder?

(34 Posts)
Isabeller Mon 03-Nov-14 23:21:36

I don't have any gut instinct or empathy for people who act in this way but I find it very puzzling and disturbing.

I think it's important that the majority of us who don't have such a disorder and, I believe, have no instinctive way to understand them become better informed because those affected can be so dangerous.

I would like to think this is a part of the reason the judge decided to release the name of the boy concerned. Lots of identifying information is now being published which is throwing more light on the circumstances surrounding the crime and it seems to me it is in the public interest for there to be the best possible understanding of it.

I feel as if my knowledge is pretty sketchy (perhaps because it makes no sense to me) and if anyone really understands personality disorders I'd be very grateful for your views.

Also AIBU?

26Point2Miles Mon 03-Nov-14 23:23:47

His name was out there in the public domain within hours of him committing the crime. His Facebook page, everything about him, it was all public back then

26Point2Miles Mon 03-Nov-14 23:25:33

Oh and my ex has a personality disorder.... I was told Personality disorders has many strands, even psychiatrists don't fully understand it

SpringBreaker Mon 03-Nov-14 23:30:26

with social media as it is, there is no way that this would have remained unknown anyway..

Isabeller Mon 03-Nov-14 23:32:35

Ideally I would have said 'the judge deciding to allow Ann Maguire's killer to be named publicly' which is what I meant ie public debate and articles in the media would not be in contempt of court.

Sorry about your ex 26 (I assume) I deleted the bit of my OP involving my personal experience. I don't seem to be able to write about it even now.

Mrsstarlord Mon 03-Nov-14 23:36:40

Emergence

Anyone who wants to know more about PD should look at this site. Far more people have PD than are diagnosed or in contact with MH or criminal justice services. Not all people with PD are dangerous, those who do come into contact with services are often more likely to be a risk to themselves than someone else.

26Point2Miles Mon 03-Nov-14 23:53:09

I find it interesting nobody had picked up on this before... He just 'turned' overnight?

sinkestatecar Tue 04-Nov-14 00:03:34

Yabu I think OP unfortunately.

None of these papers are telling us every detail of this boys life to spread the word about personality disorders. They're doing it to shift papers. Sensationalism sells.

And people will label this boy a 'monster', because saying he was a boy with problems is more than most can do

Mrsstarlord Tue 04-Nov-14 00:04:35

Sounds like his peers had picked up on it but no one else had. He had also had lots of incidents at the school and some meetings but sounds like no referrals had been made (although if it's anything like here even if a referral had been made to CAMHS it would have taken well over a year to be seen)

I may have imagined this but I thought I had read that his parents had recently separated, Dad was living in the family home with new family and Mum, sister and the lad were living in a different area, quite run down in comparison. I may have totally imagined that but if its true it sounds like the family had a lot going on.

SummerBayDreamer Tue 04-Nov-14 00:05:42

As a teacher I find it very hard to believe that this boy had never raised any concerns about his behaviour prior to this incident. Obviously no one expected him to do what he did but for him to go from nothing to this terrible act is unbelievable but then I haven't read everything to do with the case, nor do I know anything at all about personality disorder.

Thinking of this poor woman and what she went through sends shivers down my spine. I hope she is at peace and that her poor family will one day be able to come to terms with what has happened. So so sad for all concerned.

sinkestatecar Tue 04-Nov-14 00:19:19

Mrsstar - a point was made in court that he had a normal loving home with normal parents.

sinkestatecar Tue 04-Nov-14 00:20:10

Yuck, I hate myself for even commenting on this boy.

We only know what we're told, only edited highlights.

sinkestatecar Tue 04-Nov-14 00:21:01

We have no idea about much at all really.

I hope he gets the help he so clearly needs. X

26Point2Miles Tue 04-Nov-14 00:33:09

The other thread links to the judges words... Chilling

Stripyhoglets Tue 04-Nov-14 00:37:24

his parents split up when he was 4 or 5. He lived with mum and sibling near school. The family were said by the judge to be loving and supportive of both sides, and yes he has siblings who will no doubt suffer from him being publicly named as well. It would appear he has a brain disorder which unfortunately resulted in him doing this awful thing. whatever is wrong means he feels no remorse. maybe his physical illness or the treatment for it has impacted his brain development in some way. An awful thing to happen for Anne McGuires family but also for his family. I hope he is assessed and there can be some light shed on why he has the personally disorder, although quite rightly I don't think the public need to know the outcome of any assessment or treatment.

nocoolnamesleft Tue 04-Nov-14 01:20:54

Yabu - I fear that it is more likely to lead to increased stigmatisation of people with PD, and presumption that they're all would be criminals and dangerous. A campaign highlighting that most murders are committed by people with no MH diagnosis would probably be rather more likely to be helpful... Sadly.

Isabeller Tue 04-Nov-14 01:57:48

Thank you to those who replied. It seems IABU.

What an utterly sad situation.

She died on a day that had special significance for me and I will always think of her and her family on anniversaries.

NoelleHawthorne Tue 04-Nov-14 02:13:40

To bake him was wrong before. I never saw any hint on social media

NoelleHawthorne Tue 04-Nov-14 02:13:58

Name

NoelleHawthorne Tue 04-Nov-14 02:14:51

I wonder why none of the other kids thought his threats were reportable

Dawndonnaagain Tue 04-Nov-14 02:44:43

interesting Guardian article.

perfectstorm Tue 04-Nov-14 04:50:32

Personality disorders are already hugely stigmatised, and quite a lot of medical professionals don't even believe they exist in any reliably diagnostic sense, and if they do then most sufferers will be vulnerable people more likely to be preyed upon than predatory... so no, I don't think sensationalist reporting to sell papers will help.

perfectstorm Tue 04-Nov-14 04:52:11

She seems to have been such a lovely woman. It's one of those stories that really gets to you. I feel for both families - his must be in hell right now as well. In many ways they have also lost their son.

Scram Tue 04-Nov-14 06:03:04

I see the daily mail have decided to mention that he enjoyed playing a zombie-killing game. other newspapers are bound to pick up on this as well. so it won't be long before the focus moves from personality disorders to "ban all video games" nonsense.

AuntieStella Tue 04-Nov-14 06:40:41

Interesting Guardian article.

The restrictions on naming him were lifted after separate legal arguments. These aren't part of the sentencing remarks.

Does anyone know if there will be a law report on? (Or better still, link one)

There's next to no coverage on why. It wasn't anything to do with the conculsions on psychological reports on the convicted teenager. It was following argumentation by a barrister retained by some media outlet who was making the case based on the concept of open justice v protection up under Children's Act once convicted of the most serious crimes.

After all, the names of some other childen convicted of murder are well known. This case however follows the name being widely known anyhow (it was readily discoverable on line, as well as being known locally) and IIRC had been published in one of the redtops the day after the attack.

How to maintain protection of identity, given the Internet, applies to a number of scenarios. When to attempt it I suppose has to be part of that debate.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now