Talk

Advanced search

To hope William Cornick spends at least the next 50 years in prison if not the rest of his life.

(270 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

smokepole Mon 03-Nov-14 20:57:51

William Cornick should never be released from prison, for his horrific and brutal attack on Ann Maguire. The judge has sentenced him to a minimum sentence of 20 years, no doubt based on his age. However, despite his teenage years and the stupidity and thoughtlessness that comes from these years his crime was so appalling he should spend the rest of his life in prison.

The only country that sentences children to full life terms is the USA, that is called a injustice by most of the world , because it does not allow for rehabilitation of children. William Cornick can not be rehabilitated for this crime and despite what the European court of human rights will say , he should serve the maximum sentence available under English law "Life in Prison".

The parents of Cornick must be living in a nightmare, wondering how they have bred such an evil child and thinking they are to blame for not stopping him from committing this heinous crime.

cardibach Mon 03-Nov-14 21:00:03

Why do you think he can't be rehabilitated? I agree it was a terrible, terrible crime (I'm a teacher) but I'd hate to think anyone was beyond rehabilitation.

LadyLuck10 Mon 03-Nov-14 21:01:36

Yanbu I don't think anyone would miss an evil killer walking amongst us. He should rot there.

Suefla62 Mon 03-Nov-14 21:04:33

Yanbu. He's shown absolutely no remorse, says he's not sorry and that he's done the right thing. He's a psychopath. Why would he ever be let out?

Pollyteacakes Mon 03-Nov-14 21:05:18

He's shown absolutely no remorse, 20 years isn't enough. I agree about his parents, even though they are probably blameless, they're bound to feel they've gone wrong somewhere. Certain people should never ever be released back into society and I think he is one of those.

MsVestibule Mon 03-Nov-14 21:06:39

'He cannot be rehabilitated for this heinous crime'. Why not? (Unless you believe that no murderer can be rehabilitated.)

I know nothing about his parents. If they have tried their best to bring him up properly, why should they blame themselves for preventing this? How could they possibly have known he was capable of this?

Disclaimer - I haven't followed the case closely. But unless they knew he had murderous tendencies and did nothing to seek help, they shouldn't blame themselves. Do you think they should?

Methe Mon 03-Nov-14 21:07:46

He a psychopath. He should never be let out. Some people are so disturbed that they should not be allowed out in society.

UsedtobeFeckless Mon 03-Nov-14 21:08:16

Unusually for me I'm with the throw-away-the-key brigade. Senseless and hideous thing to do.

BobPatandIgglePiggle Mon 03-Nov-14 21:12:14

Why can't he be rehabilitated?

Because he's shown no remorse.

EatDereksCorpse Mon 03-Nov-14 21:12:14

I agree. I know many people who went to that school. My brother had friends that were in the class when he attacked her. The affect on them and Ann's family will never fixed.

He showed no remorse. The quotes from him to the doctor in my local paper are sickening.

He planned on murdering two other teachers and he thinks he did nothing wrong.

EverythingCounts Mon 03-Nov-14 21:12:20

I feel very sorry for his parents. They apparently sat in the dock with him and that was brave of them (shades of We Need to Talk About Kevin...) He needs to be kept somewhere secure to protect the public for a very long time.

Rainbunny Mon 03-Nov-14 21:12:32

Well none of us are experts but from the little I have read about him it does seem to indicate that he has sociopathic/psychopathic tendencies. There is no such thing as rehabilitation of a sociopathic/psychopathic personality, there is no "conscience" to rehabilitate.

Nancy66 Mon 03-Nov-14 21:12:35

Everything I've read suggests he comes from a decent family, loved by both his parents. no real hardships.

Find it so hard to comprehend

1) how he could do such a thing
2) how he could feel absolutely no remorse

Biggest sympathy must lie with the Maguire family of course but I feel sorry for this lad's parents too. Imagine how they must be feeling.

ThirdPoliceman Mon 03-Nov-14 21:12:39

I am no expert in mental health but this young man seems very disturbed. It worries me that after he has served his sentence he could walk among us again and someone else whom he intensely dislikes could suffer a similar fate to his poor victim.
I would like to think that during his time in prison he must go through some sort of mental health programme. Not optional but any release would be based on a mental health team reviewing his progress.

FreudiansSlipper Mon 03-Nov-14 21:15:12

the judge said he may never be released

no he has not shown remorse at this point in time that does not mean he will not in the future

i do believe in rehabilitation maybe he is beyond that i do not know

FreudiansSlipper Mon 03-Nov-14 21:18:16

what appears to be on the surface, nice supportive loving family is not the whole picture though i am not suggesting his family are not all this and more

we do not know if he has suffered abuse, cruelty and we may never know

i personally do not believe people are born evil but that makes it easier for us to comprehend why people commit such violent acts towards others

LaurieFairyCake Mon 03-Nov-14 21:21:54

He will likely have a personality disorder and he's going to need a lot of help from the very meagre mental health services to even start to have empathy and show remorse.

CaptainJaneSafeway Mon 03-Nov-14 21:23:48

The news story today has really shocked me. The whole thing is so awful.

While I don't like the thought of him being free given what we've heard about him, I can't bring myself to call him evil or to say things like "throw away the key". Something went horribly horribly wrong for this boy who was only 15 and I think it's very significant that it turns out he told numerous people what he was planning, some well in advance and also showed other pupils the knives. If he simply wanted to commit murder and get sent to prison as he claimed, he would not have told anyone. That he did suggests to me that part of him wanted to be stopped.

I said at the time of the murder that I thought it was tragic for everyone involved and I got a right pasting, but I stand by that. Of course I feel far more sorry for the victim and her family but I think just labelling someone evil is too simple. He did an evil thing and we don't know why. We should try to understand and learn from it.

Viviennemary Mon 03-Nov-14 21:28:27

I'm not usually the bleeding heart sympathetic type. But I don't think his parents can be blamed. I heard on the news they were good people. Also surely he must be mentally ill to have behaved the way he did.

Itsfab Mon 03-Nov-14 21:29:52

I think it is unfair to say his parents bred an evil child. They brought him up but it certainly doesn't sound like they didn't do a good job. He is inherently damaged, bad, however you want to say it.

RIP Mrs Maguire flowers.

littleducks Mon 03-Nov-14 21:33:17

I thought he couldnt be named for legal reasons, has that now been lifted?

WandaFuca Mon 03-Nov-14 21:34:43

From what I've read, even the prosecutor took pains to say that he came from a normal, loving family - which I think the judge also said. It is incredibly difficult to predict when, or if, psychopathy will erupt into violence. It's not a condition that can be rehabilitated, because it is such a disordered way of thinking that psychopaths are incapable of seeing that their thinking is disordered.

If he is truly psychopathic, then he can't be successfully treated or rehabilitated. The only option that the state has is to keep him contained for the rest of his life.

Pollyteacakes Mon 03-Nov-14 21:36:04

Msvestibule I can't see any post that said the parents were to blame??
Read the case fully then you mind understand why he can't be rehabilitated.

smokepole Mon 03-Nov-14 21:38:29

Cardibach. There are cases in the USA where children have been sentenced to live in prison for murder. However, in some of these cases there are usually factors which make the sentences wrong and in appropriate .

The first factor is that if a child expresses remorse for the crime, that is evidence the child acted on "impulse". The second factor to a lot children sentenced to life in America is that they committed the crime after suffering abuse from parents "pimps" or other abusers. In this case there are neither or no factors at all to suggest he acted either on impulse ( a moment of madness) or to stop abuse from parents or from serious bullying. There are no mitigating factors has to why he should be giving a second "Life" with a new identity a job /benefits/ home in twenty years time.

His crime does not warrant he ever being given a second chance, at 15/16 years old he is totally able to reason about his crime and must understand he has zero chance of being rehabilitated for it.

Tinkerball Mon 03-Nov-14 21:39:35

Also surely he must be mentally ill to have behaved the way he did

Why? I really dislike how this is trotted out on these type of threads. Why do some people find it impossible to comprehend that some people are just "bad" rather then "mad"! But to answer your question then no, someone doesn't have to be mentally ill to be a killer sigh

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now