Talk

Advanced search

To steam falafel?

(14 Posts)
LemonDrizzleTwunt Mon 03-Nov-14 19:43:50

Not so much AIBU, but more, AIBMS (am I being monumentally stupid) to be tempted to steam some homemade falafel?

I made them from scratch and fried them gently and they were such a lovely colour, but when I opened one they were still a little raw, so I popped them in the oven. And then forgot about them. They are now as dry as a witch's tit.

Do I steam them in the vain hope of reintroducing a bit of moisture? Or do I give up and find something else for dinner?

LemonDrizzleTwunt Mon 03-Nov-14 19:44:54

You see, I'm worried that if I steam them, they might fall apart, resulting in falafel-flavoured wet muesli?

Bunbaker Mon 03-Nov-14 19:49:34

Just bung them in the microwave for 30 second bursts.

stubbornstains Mon 03-Nov-14 19:50:03

Oh dear. Well, if they're inedible anyway, I guess you have nothing to lose....? I must say though, IMHO It Doesn't Bode Well.

Did you taste them after you'd fried them? Were they raw inside or just a paler colour? Because that's normal...

If it's any consolation, I've only just cracked falafel after years of using tinned chick peas and having loads of dramatic foaming hot oil moments and never having an idea why....

LemonDrizzleTwunt Mon 03-Nov-14 19:53:44

Bun the thought did cross my mind, but should I do it with a cup of water in the microwave too?

Stubborn sadly they were actually raw....this has never happened before?!
And yes, that is a consolation, thank you wink

As you say, they are currently fucked, so I have nothing to lose. May turn this into an experiment and do a batch in the microwave, and a batch in the steamer.

stubbornstains Mon 03-Nov-14 20:12:31

Do let us know the results, so we can peer review grin.

LemonDrizzleTwunt Mon 03-Nov-14 20:15:09

Was thinking of doing a live falafel thread.

Microwave results sans hot water: not good. Volcanically hot and tasted like dust.
Hob steaming: promising, but slow.

About to commence microwave and hot water.

Discopanda Mon 03-Nov-14 20:22:24

Dip them in tzatziki, or however it's spelled. Or a little squeeze of lemon juice?

SanityClause Mon 03-Nov-14 20:32:34

We had falafel for dinner.

I served it with a sauce made of almond butter, mixed to a paste with water, flavoured with crushed garlic, ground cumin, salt, pepper, agave syrup and lemon juice.

No idea about the steaming, though.

Bambambini Mon 03-Nov-14 20:36:34

Mmm... Falafel in warm pitta bread with humous, diced cucumber, tomato and onion all stuffed in. To be really decadent stuff some chips in the top.

I'd stick them in the microwave for a few seconds.

LemonDrizzleTwunt Mon 03-Nov-14 21:16:33

The wait is over!

Steamed falafel won the toss! Microwaved with water were better than without, but steaming was definitely better.

Served in homemade pitta with white cabbage, hummus, yoghurt and copious amounts of chilli smile

stubbornstains Tue 04-Nov-14 12:53:37

Risen from the dead! Zombie falafel! grin

(OK, so I was wrong...)

LemonDrizzleTwunt Tue 04-Nov-14 13:10:25

They are definitely still Zombie falafel. They are still repeating on me, despite being long gone...

Firbolg Tue 04-Nov-14 13:13:47

Are you using a recipe you usually use? Because it sounds as if the mix may be too dry, maybe - microwave works well for me usually, and I like that it keeps the balls fluffy, rather than the crunchier outside they get if fried.

Damn, now I want a falafel pita with chilli.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now