Talk

Advanced search

... to expect to be able to walk into a bank and open an account?

(19 Posts)
ClearlyMoo Mon 03-Nov-14 19:33:40

Really frustrated today at high street banks and building societies... I walked into a couple and they all said I'd have to make an appointment to open an account.

I had all the right ID and everything. It was for my DDs first account.

So basically they brag about not closing branches but them you can't actually do anything!

We live in a small town.

skylark2 Mon 03-Nov-14 19:36:58

I'd expect to have to make an appointment. I did for both my DC's accounts. I wouldn't call "need an appointment to open an account" "can't actually do anything."

Picturesinthefirelight Mon 03-Nov-14 19:39:38

It's very annoying, especially when the appointment they offered me was 2pm on a Tuesday afternoon (when dd & ds were at school)

I went elsewhere. I wouldn't expect to have to make an appointment. But half the reason is that they use it as an excuse to try & sell you stuff you don't want. (That was my experience with Halifax anyway, HSBC were much better)

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Mon 03-Nov-14 19:41:04

YANBU. I was really surprised I had to make an appointment too - its not like the branch was busy - I was the only person there!

26Point2Miles Mon 03-Nov-14 19:43:57

This happened to us on Saturday. As I work and ds is in school I said I wasn't happy, so they opened it there and then!

Halifax bank. I didn't get stroppy with them either, was just calm and stated I didn't have much time off

Picturesinthefirelight Mon 03-Nov-14 19:46:59

I'd gone during half term & told them dd went to boarding school 40 miles away & I work Saturdays so the next opportunity would be Christmas (we both had to be there together)

Bogeyface Mon 03-Nov-14 19:47:35

I found this, which is why I opened my account on line and then just took the ID in to be checked which they did on the spot.

Halifax are a pita about this though, their appointment system never runs to time and they dont have a large enough waiting area for the people they book in. After 40 minutes of being told "They will be with you soon" me and at least one other person left. I went to Natwest!

EddieVeddersfoxymop Mon 03-Nov-14 19:48:06

There are only certain people trained in the branches that can open accounts, so yes, an appointment is needed to make sure you're speaking to someone who can open the right one for you!

I used to do that job, honestly, we're not trying to be difficult, but regulations state that only trained, observed and passed fit people can do this!

Picturesinthefirelight Mon 03-Nov-14 19:48:37

I opened my account online but most ofvthe children's ones were in branch only

juneybean Mon 03-Nov-14 19:49:05

Ooh I didn't make an appointment when I moved to NatWest last year.

Yanbu

KirstyJC Mon 03-Nov-14 19:51:57

We took DS1 to open an account at Nationwide, no appointment needed. The woman at the welcome desk talked us through it, agreed which type of account he wanted and gave him the paperwork. Then processed it then and there for us - 2 days later the notification came through in the post.

Maybe try Nationwide?

SoonToBeSix Mon 03-Nov-14 19:58:18

You don't need to take your children with you.

Dogsmom Mon 03-Nov-14 20:01:35

I've recently opened one for my dd with Barclays and had to wait a month as they only do them on Wednesdays.

momwhereismy Mon 03-Nov-14 20:05:00

I walked in off the street and opened one with barclays

Picturesinthefirelight Mon 03-Nov-14 20:05:12

I was told I had to take them as they had to sign.

DollyDreamboat Mon 03-Nov-14 20:08:08

I had to take my dd to open an account when she was 15! And oh dear god, the paperwork that we needed. She has a different surname to me, and it was unbelievably difficult.

WorldAltlas Mon 03-Nov-14 20:09:14

I had opened one For my child last week, just walked into HSBC.

Ludoole Mon 03-Nov-14 20:10:27

I had to wait for an appointment to open an account but funnily enough whenever ive asked about a loan there is always someone i can see straight away.

naty1 Mon 03-Nov-14 20:13:15

I had this with lloyds newport said an appt. opposite was another which we managed to set it up. I agree its to sell you stuff.
Yes theyre 'trained up' to sell
Im sure 99% of staff are capable of filling in the on screen prompts.
Id try online it can be really easy and no sales.
I want to open kids tsb acc ( no branch near me and it says branch only)
Annoying.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now