Talk

Advanced search

To think that cold callers should not knock your door at nearly 7pm?

(17 Posts)
Trollsworth Mon 03-Nov-14 18:57:14

ANGLIAN WINDOWS

yes, I have named and shamed.

Dog went ballistic, we don't use our front door. Ds1 (sen) now nagging furiously to know who it was, why they were here, what did they want, why did they go....

Basically it has disturbed my evening.

Aibu to think it should be illegal to cold call outsider office hours?

HowlCapone Mon 03-Nov-14 18:58:21

YABU.

Much as I loathe cold callers, if they only called in office hours they would rarely find anyone in.

LaurieFairyCake Mon 03-Nov-14 18:58:36

Get a sign?

7 is pretty early - cold callers aren't going to come as much when we're at work

I have a sign, no one knocks anymore - it's bliss

Trollsworth Mon 03-Nov-14 18:58:58

Good.

Trollsworth Mon 03-Nov-14 18:59:43

I had a sign,it mysteriously disappeared angry

JassyRadlett Mon 03-Nov-14 19:02:55

I think doorstep selling at any time is pretty awful - so intrusive and can be exploitive of vulnerable people. I won't buy from a company that knocks on my door and tries the hard sell.

SpuffySummers Mon 03-Nov-14 19:06:24

They can knock till 9pm IIRC.

I have a long front garden so sign pretty much useless have been tempted to make a huge wooden attached to my gate and they can see me sat on sofa whilst they bang on the door and am blatantly and shamelessly ignoring them

Lushlush Tue 04-Nov-14 15:54:48

I have bought two scary strips that I stuck near my letterbox and doorbell that deter cold callers. They were bought on ebay and are ace!

I haven't had any knocks on the door for ages now. They were only about a pound each too!

Excitedforxmas Tue 04-Nov-14 15:56:15

I don't answer my door after dark so yanbu!

SantasLittleMonkeyButler Tue 04-Nov-14 16:00:48

I agree with Jessy. I would actually go further and say that cold calling should be banned.

It's intrusive & totally unnecessary. I don't mind things like Avon & Betterware where it's literally just a booklet that can be left outside again if wanted. It's the replacement windows/gas/electric ones that annoy me.

Rafflesway Tue 04-Nov-14 16:07:18

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

JassyRadlett Tue 04-Nov-14 16:50:10

Energy company doorstep selling is actually banned now - because of all the abuses, particularly where the elderly were concerned.

Gruntfuttock Tue 04-Nov-14 17:08:14

Lushlush, two scary strips of what? confused

OwlCapone Tue 04-Nov-14 17:19:26

The two strips she tore off the last cold caller who knocked on her door.

BackforGood Tue 04-Nov-14 17:23:32

I find them annoying and intrusive, but, if they are allowed at any time, then 7pm isn't unreasonable - indeed, I should imagine it's the most productive time. A lot of households are empty during the middle of the day when people are at work.
So yes, YABU.

Greengrow Tue 04-Nov-14 17:33:53

I would ban door step selling. One of my very elderly neighbours has twice called me asking me to publicise wonderful offers he has been sold at the door (each one a well known scam I had to tell him). No one needs to buy anything at the door.

There were new rules by the way on this in force since June The Consumer Contracts (Information, Cancellation and Additional Charges) Regulations 2013 and new rights to sue under the Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations 2008 came in just last month, October 2014 if they engage in particularly bad practices. It still does not stop many of them being difficult. We always answer the door as we get 2 or 3 deliveries most days but I always just say if someone is selling something - we don't buy at the door and close the door gently.

CSIJanner Tue 04-Nov-14 17:48:38

We had a chugger at 10pm last week. Luckily Dh answered

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now