Talk

Advanced search

If you get a chair at the drama club play, please don't stand.

(24 Posts)
AlphaBravoHenryFoxtons Mon 03-Nov-14 18:55:39

The drama club put on a little play and made a little makeshift theatre in the church hall: six rows of chairs and standing room at the back. The hall was packed. Bottoms on chairs on a first come first serve basis.

A woman in the second row stood up for the entire performance and took photos of her children. None of us behind her even got to see our children perform, let alone take photographs. hmm

AIBU to be appalled?

Canyouforgiveher Mon 03-Nov-14 18:58:01

Of course she shouldn't have stood up but why didn't you ask her to sit down or move out of your way?

Hakluyt Mon 03-Nov-14 19:00:25

Why didn't you ask her to sit down?

AlphaBravoHenryFoxtons Mon 03-Nov-14 19:01:31

Because I was standing near the back and would have disturbed the performance. We were all suspended in disbelief. Lots of people just looking at one another like this: shock shock

Canyouforgiveher Mon 03-Nov-14 19:04:14

Can see why you didn't disturb the performance but why on earth would the person sitting behind her not just tell her to sit down?

I think I'd have been tempted to say something to her at the end if I were you.

AlphaBravoHenryFoxtons Mon 03-Nov-14 19:11:03

I am tempted to say something. I will come across her at the drama club drop off or pick up over the coming term. She's not a mum at my children's school. (Her kids probably go to the private school. grin) But I'm tempted to leave it to another, braver, soul. grin What would I say? I fear it would come out as: 'That was unbelievably rude and selfish behaviour."

Apparently someone behind her did ask her to sit but she ignored him.

AlphaBravoHenryFoxtons Mon 03-Nov-14 19:15:18

What do you say to someone like that?

ChaosTrulyReigns Mon 03-Nov-14 19:17:00

Oh cripes, she wasn;t photographing on an ipad as well was she?

First against the wall.

WooWooOwl Mon 03-Nov-14 19:17:07

Yes, she's rude and inconsiderate therefore her children must attend private school. hmm

FeckTheMagicDragon Mon 03-Nov-14 19:19:31

I'd have crumpled up the program, taken careful aim, and hit the back of her head during a high point of the performance. Then folded my hands and look innocent and absorbed in the proceedings.

Crack shot, me

DiaDuit Mon 03-Nov-14 19:22:50

None of us behind her even got to see our children perform, let alone take photographs

How big was she? confused

And appalled? Bit OTT.

Canyouforgiveher Mon 03-Nov-14 19:23:22

I'd say to her "you know I missed my children's entire performance the other day because you stood up to take photographs. So did many others. Please don't do that again"

Wouldn't necessarily wait around for an answer.

Where I live, people would have interuppted the performance to tell her to sit down - as in would have called out to her from the back.

AlphaBravoHenryFoxtons Mon 03-Nov-14 19:33:26

DiaDuit It isn't a hall with a proper stage. It's just a little church hall/room that's used as a tea shop most of the week. All the tables were put against the walls at the sides and we used all of the chairs. The room is probably about 12 feet x 16 feet. With 6 feet of the room (not elevated) used for the performance.

AlphaBravoHenryFoxtons Mon 03-Nov-14 19:35:12

Feck - there was no programme. But you have made me think. Perhaps I should fashion a pea shooter for future transgressors. grin

DiaDuit Mon 03-Nov-14 19:37:54

Yeah but unless she measured 12ftX16ft then she wasnt blocking the entire space. Not sure how everyone that was standing missed the show.

MrsCampbellBlack Mon 03-Nov-14 19:38:14

She was rude.

But honestly was there any need for the private school comment? Would love to see how there reverse type comment would go down on mn.

nannynoss Mon 03-Nov-14 19:42:19

Just say 'could you email us the pictures you took, since we missed the whole thing?'

Maybe the one behind should have just put her head in between the lady's legs so she could see.
Can't picture how she can have blocked everyone else really, but yes it's annoying if she did.

MrsCampbellBlack Mon 03-Nov-14 19:44:17

At one nursery nativity I went to, a parent reserved 2 whole rows of seats with a selection of clothing - I feared at one point her dress was going to come off to secure more seats.

Some parents can go a little mad at performances.

AlphaBravoHenryFoxtons Mon 03-Nov-14 19:52:39

MrsCampbellBlack - The private school comment was tongue in cheek. I'm sorry.

MrsCampbellBlack Mon 03-Nov-14 19:55:10

Oh ignore me, I'm grumpy smile

AlphaBravoHenryFoxtons Mon 03-Nov-14 19:58:10

I should probably point out that my eldest two went to an independent school from 11. smile

NoNoDontEatThatBloodyHellFFS Mon 03-Nov-14 20:00:58

If the pea shooter fails, follow it up with a swift boot to the back of the knee. Fell that woman like dead wood!

FeckTheMagicDragon Mon 03-Nov-14 20:02:51

Paper & Spit balls and a plastic ruler?

AlphaBravoHenryFoxtons Tue 04-Nov-14 14:34:18

Thanks for the thoughts. I' glad everyone else thinks it's rude. It's so obviously rude.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now