Advanced search

AIBU to quit my tenancy due to my neighbour

(16 Posts)
Serendipity30 Mon 03-Nov-14 17:35:19

I have been experiencing anti-social noise behaviour for the last six months. I have been back and forth with my landlord trying to get help for this with no solution so far.My landlord are pushing me to have mediation with my neighbour despite him verbally abusing me on the street. My family sleep has been badly disrupted for six months and I am at the point of wanting to give up my tenancy. I know it will make me homeless but im not sure what else to do.

OfficeNewGirl Mon 03-Nov-14 17:41:35

Why will it make you homeless?

Could you find another rental property?

Serendipity30 Mon 03-Nov-14 17:49:38

Alternative accommodation is limited and I am currently looking.

Serendipity30 Mon 03-Nov-14 17:50:06

I have an assured tenancy agreement as it is HA

Elfhame Mon 03-Nov-14 18:03:07

Go to the environmental health as they are the ones who can issue a noise abatement order. I wouldn't let go of a secure tenancy without a fight.

lalalonglegs Mon 03-Nov-14 18:06:13

I think it would be foolish to give up a HA property without exploring all options first. Is it just you that has problems with this neighbour or are other neighbours likely to complain too? It might be worth approaching his HA/LL/council together if this is the case.

Attending mediation would also show a willingness to try to solve the issues. If it doesn't work then you can say, "Despite mediation, my neighbour still does XYZ..." and escalate the process to the next stage.

Good luck, bad neighbours are awful but he may come with a history and, if he is also an HA tenant, the authorities may be onto him and quicker to react.

Chopstheduck Mon 03-Nov-14 18:09:17

i agree, go to enviromental health. Not sure really what you would expect a LL to do. The council will ask you to keep diaries and then if they think there is sufficient disruption, they can install noise detecting equipment. if that then shows the noise is a statutory nuisance they will write and tell them to desist or face further action.

Chopstheduck Mon 03-Nov-14 18:10:11

we have the same issue and are planning to move soon. the council did work, but it goes quiet for 6 months and then restarts. Then we have to start over. I wouldn't want to give up a HA property thouhg.

ThatDamnedBitch Mon 03-Nov-14 18:13:25

I really wouldn't give a secure tenancy. I'm in a HA house and in the six years of living here we've 3 neighbours (both sides of terrace) that played loud music at all hours. Thankfully they've all moved out since, although it was hell at the time and we did consider moving.

I would get on to the noise abatement team at the council. Are your neighbours renting or do they own? You might have more leeway if they're renters. If they're HA tenants then get on to the HA and complain constantly, every time the music is loud or you're verbally abused, complain! If they're private renters find out who the the landlord is. You can go on the land registry website and I think it's £3 to find out who owns a house. I did this, and then wrote to the landlord, he evicted the tenants pretty swiftly and apologised. He still owns the house and the current tenants are really nice.

I would do all you can before giving up your tenancy. Are you registered on Homeswapper and House Exchange? You could try getting a swap.

raltheraffe Mon 03-Nov-14 18:13:50

I do not know much about HA but I do know with council properties you can do a swap. You may be entitled to swap it.

We are currently involved in neighbour wars and the police and local HA are pushing for mediation but I do not really see the point of it. I asked if the outcome of mediation was legally binding and it is not.

Coffeethrowtrampbitch Mon 03-Nov-14 18:16:27

I would attend mediation if you possible can. Not because it will do any good, but because when it fails the HA will move on and deal with your problem.
I had issues with a neighbour (they were council tenants, we weren't) and the council refused to do anything until mediation was attempted, even though our neighbours had addiction issues and mediation wasn't suitable for them under the council's own guidelines.

I have every sympathy with you, we ended up moving as it was so hard to get help, but if you agree to everything the HA proposes and bat it right back to them when it doesn't work they will have to address your neighbour's behaviour.

Serendipity30 Mon 03-Nov-14 18:37:40

Hello all , thank you for your replys so far. We both have the same HA landlord, I was writing down/recording incidents since may, they have also give me a noise machine on two occasions but this was faulty. They are pushing mediation as the only option they can take and are refusing to further action. I do not want to give up my property but our sleep has been badly disrupted since May and now when I am in the property I am anxious and stressed. I just dont know what else to do. I have refused mediation so far because to be honest I do not feel safe. I missed work today because I did not sleep all night due to him making noise until 4am then starting again at 7am. This is not unusual of him. I am seeing my councillor but dont know what he can do.

Serendipity30 Mon 03-Nov-14 18:39:03

I have not been able to sleep in the property for weeks, i feel like I am in my own private nightmare.

Fairenuff Mon 03-Nov-14 18:43:17

Call environmental health, they can advise you.

KnittedJimmyChoos Mon 03-Nov-14 19:05:31

Go back to council and moan at them, maybe citizens advice also.

the LL should be able to hold the noisy tennant to account if they are on a proper tennancy agreement, that should have something in it about not causing a nuisance etc.

The only thing you can do is go back to them!

serennu Mon 03-Nov-14 19:09:15

environmental health if you haven't done so. I'd give the mediation a go as a way of cooperating with your housing association. but if you really think that's not suitable then maybe a written letter to your housing association? that may get a different response. how long has the neighbour lived there?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: