Talk

Advanced search

Or is my landlady?

(21 Posts)
Topaz25 Mon 03-Nov-14 10:42:59

Our landlady recently inspected for the first time since we've lived here (2 1/2 years). It went well, except she asked for a bottle of peroxide that she had left in a cupboard. I remembered seeing it and said I would look for it but I can't find it anywhere so I think I might accidentally have thrown it out when I was decluttering. I've offered her money for it but apparently the problem is that was a strength she can't get any more. AIBU to think that if you leave something in a house for years (we've lived here 2 and a 1/2 years and she didn't live here before us, there was another tenant) it might get lost?

Frogme Mon 03-Nov-14 10:44:03

YANBU. She sounds bananas.

Eminybob Mon 03-Nov-14 10:44:14

Yanbu. She's a loon!
What does she want you to do about it?

SaucyJackOLantern Mon 03-Nov-14 10:46:49

YANBU. Do you think she really wanted it back, or was just looking for something to whinge about?

Also, check your household inventory. If it isn't on there she can go and swivel.

Topaz25 Mon 03-Nov-14 10:46:59

I think ideally she wants me to magically find it. I'm kicking myself for saying I would try instead of just pretending I didn't know what she was talking about!

ChippingInAutumnLover Mon 03-Nov-14 10:48:14

She's Nucking Futs!

Siarie Mon 03-Nov-14 10:49:53

Topaz When you moved in was there an inventory? (e.g. someone comes and take pictures). If not then she has no proof it was ever left there and besides it's a weird thing to leave.

Topaz25 Mon 03-Nov-14 10:49:59

I think she really wants it back. We've been here for so long that there are areas of minor wear and tear she could pick on if she wanted to be petty and find a problem. She's normally really laid back, hence not inspecting for so long, so it's weird. It's not on the inventory so technically we could tell her to swivel but we're otherwise happy here so I think we'll try and be more tactful lol.

Topaz25 Mon 03-Nov-14 10:50:46

She has no proof it was here but like an idiot I said I thought I'd seen it. I should just have said I had no idea what she was talking about but I felt put on the spot.

fuckyouIdontneedthisshit Mon 03-Nov-14 10:50:47

YANBU
grin just makes me laugh.

Can imagine her bottom lip wobbling

championnibbler Mon 03-Nov-14 10:56:00

YANBU. If the bottle of peroxide was that important, she should have come to collect it years ago. Tell her this. She shouldn't be keeping her own personal stuff at a property that she is renting out anyway. Did you not do an inventory with her when you moved in? She sounds like a bit of a nutjob to be honest.

DoJo Mon 03-Nov-14 10:58:26

What an odd thing to leave and an eve odder thing to have such an attachment to that you request its return after 2.5 years! You are not obliged to keep bottles of chemicals lying around for her to collect in the distant future - you have apologised and she will just have to get over it.

Siarie Mon 03-Nov-14 11:01:55

I would just ignore her requests, you've made a generous offer which you didn't need to do. She has said her bit, what's left to say really? If she wants to follow it up she won't be able to and if you try and push the matter it might make things more difficult.

What else can she ask of you?

FamiliesShareGerms Mon 03-Nov-14 11:04:00

You just need to go back and say. "I had a look for that bottle, couldn't find anything though so must have confused it with something else, sorry "

PumpkinsMummy Mon 03-Nov-14 11:08:43

I bet you will be able to get some on the internet. Ask what strength it was and google it.

ClaireFraser Mon 03-Nov-14 11:22:41

She can't make a fuss about minor wear and tear on the property, it's legally accepted that will be the case and she wouldn't have a leg stand on.

YANBU re the bottle of hydrogen peroxide, how she can expect a tenant to have that 2.5yr down the line. Just say sorry, can't find it. Tbh I'm amazed you could even remember something as innocuous as that in your cupboard
over two years later - I couldn't!

TwinkleDust Mon 03-Nov-14 13:36:39

"Sorry, I was mistaken, can't see it anywhere"

SpicyBear Mon 03-Nov-14 13:39:28

She's a loon! Don't waste any more of your time on it

diddl Mon 03-Nov-14 13:40:52

Tell her you were mistaken.

You haven't seen it-which isn't a surprise as it obviously wasn't there when you moved in-as the inventory shows.

(Would it be listed though?)

Viviennemary Mon 03-Nov-14 13:43:36

In any case it is quite a dangerous substance and should not have been left behind by her. If a child had got hold of that she could have been in trouble.

QuintsTombWithAWiew Mon 03-Nov-14 13:44:36

Tell her you confused it with a bottle of Listerine that the previous tenants had left, and they might have taken the peroxide by mistake, thinking it was their Listerine.

<mind boggles>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now