Talk

Advanced search

To think a round of applause is an inappropriate response to an injured athlete being stretchered off

(88 Posts)
sickntiredtoo Mon 03-Nov-14 10:27:56

I was at a gymnastics competition yesterday when one of the acrobats fell from a throw and landed on her neck.The competition was halted and she was kept from moving until the paramedics arrived and stretchered her off about half an hour later.At which point the audience of several hundred people (who of course were nearly wholly families of the gymnasts) burst into a round of applause !
I was shock

LoblollyBoy Mon 03-Nov-14 10:31:02

This is what would happen at a rugby match. I think the crowd are just letting the player know that they are thinking of them.

PausingFlatly Mon 03-Nov-14 10:31:59

It's a sign of support for her, just as athletes may be clapped when they first appear without waiting for them to achieve anything.

Crowds are pretty limited in the signals they can give - clapping is the most straightforward one.

primarynoodle Mon 03-Nov-14 10:32:23

yabu I think, its appropriate. .. well done and thankyou for your contribution. . more a clear demonstration of support from supporters/spectators I suppose

what else could people do?

BaronessBomburst Mon 03-Nov-14 10:33:41

Yes, it was to show support.

BitOutOfPractice Mon 03-Nov-14 10:37:09

This also happens at football matches. It's to show support : sympathy and both sets of fans do it, regardless of which side the injured player is on.

What else do you think they should've done?

WorraLiberty Mon 03-Nov-14 10:39:38

Of course it's not inappropriate

It's supportive

ShatnersKaBOOM Mon 03-Nov-14 10:40:47

It's normal at sporting events. It's very difficult for a large group of people to communicate support and sympathy, so a restrained applause is given.

LittleMisslikestobebythesea Mon 03-Nov-14 10:43:04

It's very common in sports, at a recent big rugby match, a player was taken off, everyone stood up, it's to show unity and support.

wigglesrock Mon 03-Nov-14 10:43:12

Yup, it's a show of support, it happens at most spectator sports. I've been to a few running meetings where the person struggling has been clapped round. People aren't taking the piss. You get it at funerals too, I've been in the street where people have clapped a coffin before it goes into the chapel. It's a mark of respect. I know some countries clap instead of having a minutes silence.

HappyAgainOneDay Mon 03-Nov-14 10:47:14

I agree that the applause is a sign of support for the injured party but there ought to be boundaries of some sort for when clapping is or is not appropriate.

I think that applause is inappropriate for funeral corteges. Whatever happened to everyone standing still and in silence with men taking off their hats when a cortege of just two cars passed them? These are manners that have become less apparent.

TheHatInTheCat Mon 03-Nov-14 10:55:55

They weren't clapping because they were pleased she injured herself!
Is that really what you thought?

sickntiredtoo Mon 03-Nov-14 11:41:03

'They weren't clapping because they were pleased she injured herself!
Is that really what you thought'

Don't be idiotic!! I thought it was because they thought .Good now we can return to the competition after a long delay

Cundtbake Mon 03-Nov-14 11:43:43

Lol @ OP calling an idea idiotic then following it up with an even more idiotic one grin

londonrach Mon 03-Nov-14 11:46:13

Yabu the clapping is showing support to the injured athlete and wishing a quick recovery. The clapping is the only way the crowd can show support to the athlete.

YvetteChauvire Mon 03-Nov-14 11:49:37

I thought it was because they thought .Good now we can return to the competition after a long delay

I really hope you are being sarcastic with this OP, because if you are serious it is not TheHat the one being idiotic.

RandomFriend Mon 03-Nov-14 11:56:31

I have been at several gynmastics competitions. The clapping as an injured gymnast is stretchered off is a very sympathetic clapping, that conveys both appreciation of the work that was put in to get to that level (whatever the level) and sorrow that the gymnast is unable to complete the competion.

Competition gynmasts train for hours and hours and it is so disappointing for the gymnast to sustain any injury, especially during a competition. Joining in with the clapping indicates that you have noticed the gymnast and feel for him or her.

BastardGoDarkly Mon 03-Nov-14 11:57:05

Hahahaaaa. That is all.

HowlCapone Mon 03-Nov-14 11:58:37

Lol @ OP calling an idea idiotic then following it up with an even more idiotic one

My thoughts precisely! grin

Triliteral Mon 03-Nov-14 11:59:50

'I thought it was because they thought .Good now we can return to the competition after a long delay'

This was what I might have wondered as well, OP, and like you, I would have been somewhat surprised, though I guess I might have wondered as well whether it was applause for the wonderful ambulance men. I too would not have expected it. It doesn't seem a natural re-action to me when someone has hurt themselves, but apparently it is standard etiquette at sporting events, which I guess is what you wanted to know.

ShatnersKaBOOM Mon 03-Nov-14 12:00:00

Good now we can return to the competition after a long delay

First proper laugh of November. Thank you grin

MrsCakesPrecognition Mon 03-Nov-14 12:03:43

It is mixture of acknowledging the injured competitors efforts and relief that they are getting the medical help they need. With a little "there but for the grace of god goes my friend/child/partner/loved on".

ChippingInAutumnLover Mon 03-Nov-14 12:06:48

Oh for the love of little fish.

BastardGoDarkly Mon 03-Nov-14 12:15:16

grin chipping

TheWitTank Mon 03-Nov-14 12:24:16

You are joking right? shock You honestly thought that?
YABU. Has nothing to do with impatience. It's a showing of support for the injured athlete, a well done on trying your best.
Did you say what you thought to anyone at the event? blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now