Talk

Advanced search

...to think we'll soon be swamped with statues?

(44 Posts)
EvilTiggyD Mon 03-Nov-14 08:45:51

Every week there's another statue(or stone/plaque/other) unveiled to somebody good or to mark a memorable thing, but I've never seen or heard about any statues being taken away. They tend to be quite solid, long-lasting things, so won't the country end up knee deep in these things eventually? I know some get nicked for scrap but they generally get replaced on principle.

I think it's a very, very slow disaster happening. People should stop worrying about immigrants and start worrying about statues.

FarelyKnuts Mon 03-Nov-14 08:47:18

Is there an old statue graveyard? Retirement home?
What does happen to them? shock

GoofyIsACow Mon 03-Nov-14 08:51:03

grin

londonrach Mon 03-Nov-14 08:53:56

Statue parks. I think theres one in yorkshire where the henry moore ones can run free. (I love henry moore). Maybe they can round out older ones and set them lose in other parks....

brainwashed Mon 03-Nov-14 08:56:06

Just don't blink.....wink

EvilTiggyD Mon 03-Nov-14 09:00:19

But the statue parks will be full one day too!

OwlWearingSunglasses Mon 03-Nov-14 09:00:56

Did anyone else read "Marianne dreams" as a child and shit a brick ?

EvilTiggyD Mon 03-Nov-14 09:01:31

This is what happened on Easter Island. They ended up using all their resources for statues so they all died out.

londonrach Mon 03-Nov-14 09:02:21

We doomed i say doomed! grin

Deathraystare Mon 03-Nov-14 09:48:54

Statue parks. I think theres one in yorkshire where the henry moore ones can run free.

Londonrach!!!! Trying to imagine that now!!!!!

I am thinking of those statues in the Dr who thing called 'blink'. The first time I walked through a cemetery after watching it - I suddenly noticed how many angel statues there where!

Deathraystare Mon 03-Nov-14 09:49:48

Sorry brainwashed - just seen your post!

londonrach Mon 03-Nov-14 09:52:00

Death being silly sorry its monday...

WerewolfBarMitzvah Mon 03-Nov-14 09:55:39

Well, a fortune cookie told me to be kind to pigeons 'cos a statue would be made of me one day so can we wait until my statue is made before we start chucking them in a statue playpen??

SaucyMare Mon 03-Nov-14 09:55:58

they do take down old ones, and bronzes get melted down. but that doesn't make the news (saw it on telly one day)

WhereYouLeftIt Mon 03-Nov-14 10:04:17

I think you have actually noticed the stealth invasion of The Weeping Angels Tiggy.
<props eyelids open with matchsticks>

ScarletFever Mon 03-Nov-14 10:49:48

oh yes OwlWearingSunglasses, I read Marianne dreams when i was young - it was very dark

AuntieStella Mon 03-Nov-14 10:56:58

Difficult choice here:

Do you go with 'don't even blink' in case it's weeping angels?

Or keep your eyes firmly closed in case it's Medusa?

SomeSortOfDeliciousBiscuit Mon 03-Nov-14 14:02:44

What AuntieStella just said. Mind. Blown.

... We're screwed either way, aren't we?

EvilTiggyD Mon 03-Nov-14 14:19:03

Saucy - I can understand a lot of art being melted down. Around where I live there seems to be an outbreak of folded metal shapes which, at the risk of being called Phyllis Stein, is all shit. It's the obscure writers and war heroes and historical plaques. Do they get rid of those too?

Hoppinggreen Mon 03-Nov-14 14:25:11

It's a sculpture park in Yorkshire - it's called The Yorkshire Sculpture Park!!
No statues or anything that looks like an actual person so unless you are scared of being chased by a huge chair carved from fallen branches or 3 anatomically correct giant men type shapes you should be safe

EvilTiggyD Mon 03-Nov-14 14:46:28

"It's a sculpture park in Yorkshire - it's called The Yorkshire Sculpture Park!!" - I hope they paid a creative agency somewhere a lot of money to come up with that name.

HappyAgainOneDay Mon 03-Nov-14 14:56:01

Aren't our statues something to cherish for our descendants? We have palaces, castles, follies, beautiful gardens like Sissinghurst and Wakehurst, blue plaques on buildings, war memorials, ancient walls from 2000 years ago, Roman mosaics and dinosaur skeletons in museums. Why should statues be less patriotically valuable in this green and pleasant land?

pluCaChange Mon 03-Nov-14 15:49:49

In one of Lindsey Davis's Falco stories, it emerges that lots of the "statues" around were just heads, replaced on generic bodies in order to save effort and materials (and not to waste an entire statue when someone went out of favour)!

pluCaChange Mon 03-Nov-14 15:51:47

Sorry, I should add that was ancient Rome, with some of the statue output in question dating to classical Greek times.

OnIlkleyMoorBahTwat Mon 03-Nov-14 15:56:57

Posting so I can come back later and work out what I am missing.....

I visited the Yorkshire Sculpture Park yesterday. Very nice it was, if not a little to busy for my liking. There was one sculpture that I thought was a real person when I first saw her from a distance.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now