Talk

Advanced search

to wish exDH's GF would stop diagnosing my kids?

(19 Posts)
Bogeyface Mon 03-Nov-14 00:05:58

DD has a verruca, this I know to be fact thanks to our GP and not Dr Google. She has spent the weekend telling DD that it isnt a verruca, its a wart.

Now please do correct me if I am wrong, but I understood a verruca to be caused by the same virus as a wart and is simply impacted due to the pressure on the foot? Now DD keeps asking if she can go back to the doctors to check whether it is a wart or a verruca and if thats why the treatment isnt working (it isnt "working" because we have only been using it for a week, by working she means that the whole thing hasnt disappeared). It took an hour on google tonight to convince her.

I wouldnt mind quit so much but the GF is a nurse, as they keep telling me as if her word is gospel hmm, so should know better!

FYI, no beef with her, she seems very nice and kind to the kids which is the best you can ask for really. I just wish she would stop dispensing her medical "knowledge" to the kids!

wobblyweebles Mon 03-Nov-14 02:54:24

If it's on your foot it's a plantar wart, also known as verruca...

steff13 Mon 03-Nov-14 02:58:48

I'd never heard the word verruca until I joined MN. Except for Verruca Salt. I was told a verruca is a plantar war, and Google confirms. So, verruca = wart.

steff13 Mon 03-Nov-14 02:59:24

www.medicinenet.com/script/main/mobileart.asp?articlekey=7082

Bogeyface Mon 03-Nov-14 03:06:11

I know its a wart, but the GP said it was a verruca (the common name for a wart on the foot) and then the GF said "No, it isnt a verruca, its a wart"

Why?! The two are the same but known by different names, why make a point of telling a 9 year old what something technically is when even GPs use the common name?

AIBU?

confuddledDOTcom Mon 03-Nov-14 03:15:25

She's trying to be clever, it would annoy me too! She shouldn't be having the conversation in front of a child it is just going to cause confusion to her.

Thumbscrewswitch Mon 03-Nov-14 03:20:51

It makes no odds whether it's a verruca or a wart, the treatment is the same anyway! And as has been said, verruca is just another name for plantar wart, they're both caused by a virus, the only possible difference would be that you are supposed to be able to see the black centre in a verruca (the deep root into the blood vessels) which you don't commonly see in a wart (I've had both) - but even that's not cut and dried. I had a massive verruca on the ball of one foot, which wasn't diagnosed for a couple of years, until it matured and multiplied. When the top layer of hard skin came off, there were the black centres - 6 of them!

What are you using on it? I found something called Salactol to be brilliant - a mix of salicylic and lactic acid, not sure if it's still available but it works a sight better than Bazuka or prep W, from what I can tell. But then maybe my matured-and-replicated verruca/wart was just ready to go, who knows. It and all its offspring were removed within 3 weeks of daily application with pumicing before reapplication, the little ones all went within a week and the big parent took just over 2 weeks to fall out (came out with the plaster on the last day).

nooka Mon 03-Nov-14 03:27:35

We live in Canada and dd had a set of really persistent verrucas (several years without disappearing). When we went to the pharmacist they had no idea what we were talking about! Verruca is not used here only planar wart (although some of the treatments had names that were plays on verruca).

We used a strong salicylic acid treatment, painted on like nail varnish plus duct tape. Did the job nicely, all gone in about 10 days.

Hissy Mon 03-Nov-14 06:40:28

there is a thread on chat which is all about veruccas and warts and how treating them with Apple Cider Vinegar is WAY more suCcessful than shop bought meds.

there are pictures too...

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/_chat/2202612-eek-just-pulled-a-root-out-my-verruca

whattheseithakasmean Mon 03-Nov-14 07:03:07

The OP isn't asking for advice on getting rid of the verruca and she knows that a verruca is a wart on the foot.

I sympathise, OP, it seems unnecessarily annoying for the GF to contradict your daughter's terminology. I wonder why she feels the need to do that?

Your child has been to the GP & told she has a verruca, it is not fair for her to get a different name from her other parent.

If you are on good terms with your ex, I would maybe have a quiet word about the importance of consistent parenting. Leave the GF out of it - she isn't the parent.

ILovePud Mon 03-Nov-14 08:29:59

YANBU even if it's done with the best of intentions it's irritating and undermining and it sounds like this is not an isolated incident.

campingfilth Mon 03-Nov-14 08:34:31

YANBU She's being an arse! I work in A and E and I had a patient come in with a verruca, most people in UK call it a verruca why be a dick and call it by its correct medical terminology especially to a 9 year old.

OwlWearingSunglasses Mon 03-Nov-14 08:43:39

camping

Someone went to a & e with a verruca ? shock

OP I think your ex's gf is trying to score points. Have a word with your ex but be prepared for him to defend her...

Doubtfuldaphne Mon 03-Nov-14 09:57:24

I think the nurse is just trying to come across as clever. It's annoying because in a way it's undermining you even though you're right.
I have the same problem with my sil, she's a doctor and always always always contradicts what I've been told by my doctor. She has never been right but my doctor has.
Just try to ignore the gf and her silly games. Possibly tell your dd that you spoke to your doctor and he remembers seeing her and he said that it's a verruca which is the same thing. That should do it!

Bunbaker Mon 03-Nov-14 10:10:34

"I'd never heard the word verruca until I joined MN"

Really!

I first heard of them back in primary school when a couple of kids couldn't go swimming because they had verrucas. This would have been in 1966 or thereabouts.

wobblyweebles Mon 03-Nov-14 13:37:23

steff13 hadn't heard of them being called verrucas because she lives in the US, I am assuming, and no one in the US calls them verrucas.

steff13 Mon 03-Nov-14 14:38:17

Yup, I'm in the US. It's not a word that's used here.

campingfilth Mon 03-Nov-14 17:07:07

owl yes a verruca however, he was very pleasant and apologetic when I told him it wasn't anything other than a verruca. Plus he'd had a shower before coming up so his feet didn't smell so he didn't get the full wrath of my 'it is not appropriate to attend a busy A and E blah blah' grin

I had someone come in with athletes foot 2 weeks prior to that!! 111 has a lot to answer for I can tell ya

Bunbaker Mon 03-Nov-14 17:11:56

Sorry. I didn't realise steff

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now