Talk

Advanced search

To never buy a jigsaw from a charity shop again.

(45 Posts)
PiperIsOrangePumpkins Sun 02-Nov-14 20:26:24

i got a 2500 piece on which I almost completed this weekend, the reason it not fully completed is that it had 1 piece missing.

Am I just unlucky or do jigsaw generally always have pieces missing from charity shops.

BastardGoDarkly Sun 02-Nov-14 20:28:50

Oh, how annoying! The one I use for the kids jigsaws (so much fewer pieces) have labels with either 'checked' or 'unchecked' so I only go for the checked one's, and they've always been complete, can you cut out and colour in the missing piece?! grin

Janethegirl Sun 02-Nov-14 20:30:32

Never having been a fan of jigsaws I wouldn't know, but unless it was brand new with the jigsaw pieces in a sealed bag, I'd expect at least one bit to be missing. Not deliberately, but the law of Sod tends to prevail!

Hoolit Sun 02-Nov-14 20:31:02

I bought one a couple of months ago, a where's wally one. Yes, one piece was missing. Bloody annoying although wally was present!

KingJoffreysBloodshotEye Sun 02-Nov-14 20:31:07

There was a League Of Gentlemen sketch where two ladies in a charity shop were sorting the puzzles.

"Will you do the puzzles?"

"What? A piece out of each?"

"That's right, dear."

lemisscared Sun 02-Nov-14 20:31:42

If its not very old you can contact the company, give them some sort of grid reference and they wil supply the missing piece (probaby for more than you would have paid had you bought the whole puzzle new!) but i feel your pain!

Not that I have ever been able to complete a 2500 peice puzzle

EatDereksCorpse Sun 02-Nov-14 20:33:04

Pretty normal.

I work in a charity shop and not a chance I am sitting down counting out 1000+ pieces a jigsaw when we get at least a bag donated a day.

Fuck that.

Mum does jigsaws at home for a charity shop. Mum loves doing them and the charity shop has someone to count pieces basically so it's win win

funchum8am Sun 02-Nov-14 20:35:51

I bought one from a charity shop once and about 10% of the pieces were missing confused

Never again!

PiperIsOrangePumpkins Sun 02-Nov-14 20:36:41

That's a good idea, but God I feel frustrated.

This one was very challenging it had sea and sky with a ship in the middle.

Think I will just stick to new, in which once completed I donate anyway.

bassingtonffrench Sun 02-Nov-14 20:37:20

I bought one yesterday and it was perfect!

PiperIsOrangePumpkins Sun 02-Nov-14 20:42:55

Perhaps just a better frame of mind that if I buy them in charity shops it's the risk I take.

The puzzle only cost me £1.50.

Would it be wrong to take it back and tell them a piece is missing, but to donate it again.

TaliZorahVasNormandy Sun 02-Nov-14 20:45:53

This is why I count the pieces when I sort puzzles, dont wanna put them out incomplete.

Leeds2 Sun 02-Nov-14 20:49:44

I used to volunteer in a charity shop.

I did the children's jigsaws in the shop, as it was fairly quick and easy to check if they were complete.

With the adult ones, the manageress's father liked to do jigsaws, so he would do some and they were put out marked as "checked." With the others, I used to count the pieces.

PiperIsOrangePumpkins Sun 02-Nov-14 20:54:01

Can anyone be a zigsaw checker. I'm off work 2 school days every week.

TheLovelyBoots Sun 02-Nov-14 21:02:16

I've always wondered about this, surely it's not quick and easy to verify that the puzzle is complete? confused Unless they are pre-school aged ones? The Horrible Histories, for example, would be incredibly time consuming to verify.

There is no way that the effort is commensurate with the sale price, unless they have sunk down-time.

Sizzlesthedog Sun 02-Nov-14 21:04:51

I got one from a charity shop. A big floor puzzle (children's) about 24 pieces. Only I got 23. Yes that wasn't a good day.

alltoomuchrightnow Sun 02-Nov-14 21:20:20

i managed a charity shop until last year. The trouble I had was getting volunteers to check the larger ones. They'd flat out refuse as they werent getting paid for it ; it was always considered the worst job to them (worst than shit stained clothes etc (and i certainly didnt have time to do it... i was working 7 days a week as it was!) and it wasnt worth it for something we never sold for more than £1 - £2. So I'd have to hold back on the big ones or get Community Service placements to count them, they would moan about it too but tough! But occasionally i'd get jigsaw addicts come in and ask to borrow them for free,, they'd complete them and bring them back to us if it was complete, so we could sell it.. all shops need people like that!

alltoomuchrightnow Sun 02-Nov-14 21:21:36

I was certainly always apologetic and gave immediate full refund if anyone did bring back one with missing bits

alltoomuchrightnow Sun 02-Nov-14 21:23:04

but I knew several other local shops to me that would just bin them all... no one had time to count the bits and if you have very SN volunteers they wouldn't all be able to do so anyway ; a lot of my vol's couldn't write or count...... as I said, Community Service placements were the best bet though they hated me for it!

TillHammerZeit Sun 02-Nov-14 21:24:12

Unless still sealed I'd think it more likely than not that pieces would be missing from a game/jigsaw puzzle.

Jen9988 Sun 02-Nov-14 21:33:35

The British heart foundation do this to me.

They said they didn't have time to check goods they sold.

Now it has to be illegal!? Sale of goods act...fit for purpose....

I wouldn't mind but they are in town and a bus ride or car park fee away. ( game cost .99p bus fair £4.

All it means is that I will ever give them a Donation EVER and I don't buy from them without a full inspection.

I hate the BHF.

PiperIsOrangePumpkins Sun 02-Nov-14 21:38:36

I don't want a refund, the charity needs the money more than I do.

SweetPeaPods Sun 02-Nov-14 21:38:36

My mum loves jigsaws. I might suggest she pops into her local charity shop to see if they have any jigsaws they would like her to check.

SaucyJackOLantern Sun 02-Nov-14 21:40:30

Missing pieces is nothing I tell ya.

I bought the DDs a game from a charity shop once. Got it home and opened it up only to find..... a nest of dead spiders. Still shuddering now.

PiperIsOrangePumpkins Sun 02-Nov-14 21:41:20

I will enquire about it, but it would be for selfish purposes.

I have anxiety and depression and have read that it helps.

I think if I know that puzzles was likely be incomplete it would not be frustrating.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now