Talk

Advanced search

More of a WWYD - puppy and firework related! Posting here for quick responses!

(19 Posts)
JulietBravoJuliet Sun 02-Nov-14 19:08:48

I've posted in the doghouse but I need quick responses and realised I'll get them quicker from here. Apologies for lack of AIBU and c&p thread...

First night we've really had any fireworks close tonight, and Dpup is shaking so much he's vibrating the sofa, panting, drooling... Absolutely bloody petrified

Big dog couldn't care less and really needs a walk (won't go to the toilet in the gravel area outside, so needs to be physically walked to some grass).

I don't know what to do for the best. Dpup would be in a crate if I left him at home while I walked her, but he's currently trying to escape from every noise, has stitches in from being castrated on Wednesday, and I'm worried he'll do himself an injury while I'm out. But it seems incredibly cruel to make him come out when there's fireworks going off.

Other option is to take big dog out and leave 8yo ds at home with the pup, which he's fine with, and I'll only be 10 mins tops, but not sure he'll be much help keeping a very scared puppy calm. I've got the tv on loud, but we have a high, open plan ceiling with roof windows, plus no double glazing bloody listed building so the bangs are bloody loud and there's not much I can do to minimise it.

WWYD?

Carrie5608 Sun 02-Nov-14 19:13:44

I am not sure i think if u have a car & can take pup in crate to area with no fireworks & then walk dog there. But i would not leave 8 yr old home alone.

Springhasspung Sun 02-Nov-14 19:14:41

Put him in the crate with a blanket over it so he's in the dark leave the to on perhaps a little louder than normal, take other dog out return and leave the pup in the crate carry on about your business talking to him but leave him in the darkened crate

KeatsiePie Sun 02-Nov-14 19:15:33

Poor thing! Leave him at home. Don't crate him. This will sound nuts, but, ask DS to sit with puppy in a bathroom or closet with no windows. Tell him don't try to hug or restrain puppy, just pet it lightly. Let it pace around if it needs to. Put something soft on the floor, towels or blanket.

If you have any concerns about puppy biting DS, don't do this, but try it yourself when you get back. Many dogs react to fireworks the same way as thunderstorms, meaning they need a cave for safety, but also need your presence.

Springhasspung Sun 02-Nov-14 19:16:00

Take child with you, if the pup has got himself into a state there isn't much you can do, you know he's not going to be hurt, putting him in the crate will create a safe den area for him

TooMuchCantBreathe Sun 02-Nov-14 19:16:31

I would put him in his crate with a thick blanket over (leave the front uncovered), turn the tv up and go round your walk as quick as you can but I'm sure others will have better ideas.

The best thing for fears is to ignore and carry on as normal so they see you aren't worried but I think going for a walk would be a step too far!

KeatsiePie Sun 02-Nov-14 19:17:09

Crap! I'm sorry, I don't have kids, so wasn't thinking of other safety issues re: leaving at 8-yr-old at home blush

Sitting with puppy in small windowless space and just being quiet and soothing for a while should help though. So maybe best to try it yourself when you get back.

JulietBravoJuliet Sun 02-Nov-14 19:17:51

He's terrified of the car as well! He's in his crate and we're doing a mad dash to the grass down the street!

KeatsiePie Sun 02-Nov-14 19:24:09

Sounds fine, it's only a few minutes. I know it is hard to see them so scared. You might look into getting a thundershirt for him. They don't work on all dogs but a lot of people seem to have had good results from what I've heard www.thundershirt.co.uk/

JulietBravoJuliet Sun 02-Nov-14 19:32:35

Back already! Big dog fortunately went to the loo the second her feet touched the grass, although she's looking at me in disgust for dragging her home straight after she'd done!

I've never had a dog that's scared of fireworks before, and he's only 6 months old, so not encountered it until tonight, as there's been none close. Will be in a place with an actual proper garden, where big dog will hopefully go to the toilet by next year, so shouldn't be as much of an issue then.

Re leaving ds home alone; I wouldn't have an issue with this for 5-10 minutes. The grass I was walking big dog to is literally within view of the house, and my mobile number is programmed into the home phone, so he knows how to call me if need be. I just wasn't sure he would be much use in calming down the pup. He came outside with me in the end, but I sited on waiting outside the house so he could hear if the pup howled and yelled his updates to me every 3 seconds!

JulietBravoJuliet Sun 02-Nov-14 19:33:28

I sited?? Insisted!!

KeatsiePie Sun 02-Nov-14 19:40:41

Your DS sounds really sweet smile Glad it went fine. Puppy might grow out of this, but if not (mine didn't, at 15 years old she still thinks the world is ending every time it storms), try what I suggested above and/or thundershirt. I know it's really startling the first time it happens!

WaroftheRoses Sun 02-Nov-14 19:46:03

A well covered crate is the best thing-dogs tend to try and make their own secure den in times like this which is why they drag stuff out from under stairs, from cupboards, burrow under beds etc. So you are just helping him out by creating a safe, secure den that he can hide away in until all the noise has subsided.

JulietBravoJuliet Sun 02-Nov-14 19:50:26

I'll check out the thundershirts smile

I can't see him growing out of it tbh. For a Jack Russell, a breed renown for their boldness and bravery ha fucking ha he's a right little wuss! He's scared of cars, bikes, dogs, cats, suspicious looking wheelie bins, postmen... His own bloody shadow! When we move, we'll be less open plan and it'll be easier to make him a little safe place for when it thunders or there's fireworks. He's currently shivering in his crate under a big blanket! Tis very cute but I hate seeing him this scared, poor little fella!

Big dog doesn't bat an eyelid, but then she used to come clay pigeon shooting with me so she's fairly desensitised to bangs, and my old Border Collie used to try and chase and catch fireworks! I think he thought they were very disobedient sheep grin

Dayshiftdoris Sun 02-Nov-14 20:01:33

I have a JRT with a noise phobia... Bloody wuss will barks herself silly at the mere hint of anything within 20ft of the house but slightest bang and she is shaking behind the downstairs loo or TV.

If you have a crate then have it covered all the time - sometimes mine is too dumb scared to remember so I shoo her in there and she is soon asleep. Try not to pander to it too much but I can't leave Doris dog shaking... I also have a big crate with a bed in it plus it's in a corner so it's very sheltered.

The other thing I do is when she is sitting hopefully on my feet hanging around when I am cooking I will bang something really loud as I drop her some cheese. She has got lots better as she and it's not only really fireworks, thunder and very very loud exhausts backfiring that worries her.

Dayshiftdoris Sun 02-Nov-14 20:05:49

Oh and Doris Dog is really nervous and barks at people in high vis and fishermen.... She scoots past barking and them like they have no right to exist...

And when I first had her I had to carry her passed a stone lion at the end of someone's drive...

Yet this is dog who terrorises the cat... Go figure...
As for Doris Cat.... She is ancient and lives to wind Doris Dog up....

JRT's are so much fun grin - wait til he finds fox poo!

JulietBravoJuliet Sun 02-Nov-14 20:56:38

Yep sounds just like mine! Barks, growls, snarls at bloody everything, yet is actually petrified when he gets too close! He barks and lunges at every dog we pass, yet when actually face to face with one, he drops on his back and goes all silly, daft little bugger!

sparechange Mon 03-Nov-14 11:33:06

My old dog was terrified of fireworks and thunder. He would go ballistic.

The vet recommended playing a CD of firework noises to him during meal times (so he would have positive associations with the noises), starting off playing it really quietly, and then turning the volume up every few days when he got used to it, until we could play it full blast without him getting worried.

It completely solved his firework phobia, and definitely helped his thunder phobia. The vet said that dogs can sense the atmospheric chances because thunderstorms, so that is a more difficult one to cure, but he went from 'shredding everything in the house' upset to just taking himself to bed and panting a lot, which was a huge improvement.

The CDs seem to be quite widely available - amazon has a few
www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004KNGP9I/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_1?pf_rd_p=479289247&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B005LFOVWW&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_r=07TN6E7714FKBSVV3Z46

sonjadog Mon 03-Nov-14 12:32:16

My dog was scared of loud noises when he was a puppy. What worked for him was actually going outside and looking at the fireworks together, from the safety of my arms. He quite enjoyed it when he could see what they were.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now