Talk

Advanced search

To wonder what on earth possess a home owner to advertise a property with 9 different estate agents?

(14 Posts)
Bearbehind Sun 02-Nov-14 18:27:02

Just that really.

I'm currently stalking Rightmove looking for a house and one property is listed 9 times with different estate agents.

What on earth does that achieve other than making the vendors look desperate and forcing me to scroll through all 9 every time

Apart from anything else- why would an estate agent take on a property that's listed with 8 other agents?

Who get paid what if it sells?

VileStatistyx Sun 02-Nov-14 18:29:13

I imagine the agent that sells it will get the commission.

They are probably thinking of reaching the widest possible audience, maybe didn't think about multiple rightmove listings.

Discopanda Sun 02-Nov-14 18:33:25

Wow the owner must be desperate!

IAmAShitHotLawyer Sun 02-Nov-14 18:33:33

The estate agent who sells the property gets paid if it sells and it will give the estate agent more incentive to try harder to sell it knowing there is some competition. Commission will be higher though.

IAmAShitHotLawyer Sun 02-Nov-14 18:34:23

Nothing desparate about it! Multi-agency sales used to be quite common.

Bearbehind Sun 02-Nov-14 18:38:44

I get that multi agency encourages competition but only between 2 or 3 agents.

9 is insane.

What do they hope to achieve- surely the very vast majority of people find a house on Rightmove/ Zoopla nowadays- it's not like days gone by where you only got to see the houses listed by agents you registered with.

londonrach Sun 02-Nov-14 19:09:24

Looks desperate with 9 listings! 2-3 common but 9 is that a record.

Bearbehind Sun 02-Nov-14 19:28:22

I'd love to know if 9 is a record of if any house has made it to double figures.

CalamitouslyWrong Sun 02-Nov-14 19:30:36

In the age of online listings, being on with a gazillion different agents looks weird and will probably reduce any offers you get.

ILovePud Sun 02-Nov-14 19:39:24

9 seems excessive and I wonder if it's counterproductive, making buyers view the seller as desperate, so likely to make a lower offer and/or just a bit odd and not someone who you'd want to get into the fraught process of house buying with.

PixieofCatan Sun 02-Nov-14 19:45:34

I wonder if some of the agents aren't actually representing the client. My younger sister had a job where, occasionally, she had to knock on the doors of people listing with other agents and convince them to list with her agency. The ad would be written up before they even got there.

Bearbehind Sun 02-Nov-14 19:50:10

The house is way overpriced based on recent sales too- I just can't imagine why an agent would agree to becoming the 6th, 7th, 8th or 9th one listing the property.

nancy75 Sun 02-Nov-14 19:51:07

Maybe they are desperate - it could be something like a probate sale and they need to sell quickly to cover inheritance tax

Bearbehind Sun 02-Nov-14 19:56:40

could be nancy but it seems counter intuitive to me as it smacks of desperation and won't actually help sell the house.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now