Talk

Advanced search

a fallen tree on public ground is not a free for all

(40 Posts)
mazlou3 Sun 02-Nov-14 11:55:10

Last night a large tree fell down in the park over the road from me.

Dh has grabbed aload of branches and dragged them into the garage. I was pretty annoyed apart from anything its taking up all the space. He promised to saw them up and store them properly, so I just left it at that. Now his mate has turned up with a chainsaw and they are cutting the big bits in the park and planning to take as much as they can.pretty sure the land belongs to the council, but no one there to speak to.

Should I carry on trying to stop him? Need help asap

WooWooOwl Sun 02-Nov-14 11:57:56

I have no idea of the legality surrounding this, but I can't really see a problem. Even if it's against some by law, it's hardly the crime of the century.

If he's promised to store the wood properly, I'd just let him get on with it.

bigTillyMint Sun 02-Nov-14 11:59:55

Well, what will the council do with it? He's probably saving them a job.

If it is for your wood-burner or whatever, I can't see an issue really.

LaurieFairyCake Sun 02-Nov-14 12:01:03

If it's on private land you can't

If it's on common land you can

<had wood burner>

ChippingInAutumnLover Sun 02-Nov-14 12:01:38

I'm failing to see your problem here.

FaFoutis Sun 02-Nov-14 12:06:13

I would be joining them.

mazlou3 Sun 02-Nov-14 12:09:18

The problem is it doesn't belong to us, its the council land I'm presuming as they cut the grass.

They've collected hundreds of pounds worth of wood already! Doesn't anyone else find this very dodogy?

FaFoutis Sun 02-Nov-14 12:14:05

What would the council do with the tree?
There are big trees on the council land at the bottom of my garden, the council have asked me to fence around them so they then belong to me - they don't want the responsibility for the trees.

WooWooOwl Sun 02-Nov-14 12:14:47

Even if it is dodgy, what's the worst that's going to happen?

He's not going to be carted off to prison for taking some firewood from a public space. Just think of it as being like your children collecting sticks from the park to play with, but on a bigger scale.

AngelsWithSilverWings Sun 02-Nov-14 12:16:25

I don't know about the legalities but the council had to cut down a huge tree outside our house once and the contractors doing the job happily gave lumps of wood to whoever asked.

I was surprised by how many people stopped their cars as they were passing by to ask for some wood.

FayKorgasm Sun 02-Nov-14 12:18:15

Far play to them,its set to get very cold says she in a tshirt in November I bet you won't complain then.

NewEraNewMindset Sun 02-Nov-14 12:20:08

I also think that probably it's not quite legal but you have probably just saved the council some money and an employee or contractor some work. So don't get too upset about it.

Fanfeckintastic Sun 02-Nov-14 12:20:53

Ah relax!

Gileswithachainsaw Sun 02-Nov-14 12:25:19

Don't see the problem unless he's not going to use the wood for anything and it's just taking up space. How's it different from. Kids using the branches to build a den or make a camp fire.

It could be used for fire wood. Making stuff, for pets to chew on, in pet enclosures to provide things for climbing or hiding food in, hell even selling it.

Bearbehind Sun 02-Nov-14 12:26:21

sn't it a bit like picking berries off bushes in public areas? They don't belong to you but no one is going to mind.

The council will probably be glad there's less tree to move.

I've got visions of the tree police following a sawdust trail to your house now grin

pantone363 Sun 02-Nov-14 12:28:15

DP tree surgeon said it's

pantone363 Sun 02-Nov-14 12:28:22

Legal

mazlou3 Sun 02-Nov-14 12:31:21

Gosh OK I will admit I must be wrong on this one.

Lol it wont do us much good if its cols this year, needs to be stored for a year until its ready! I hope next year is cold

bigTillyMint Sun 02-Nov-14 12:34:20

Well, if you have somewhere to store it, you're sorted in a years time!

VivaLeBeaver Sun 02-Nov-14 12:34:47

I'd be congratulating your dh for his good fortune if I were you.

But then I happily pull pallets out of skips without permission for my log burner.

CatKisser Sun 02-Nov-14 12:36:12

I think it's fine. I go round gathering wood all Summer to use on my fire (something galling about shelling out £5 for a bag of someting I can pick up off the ground for free.)

cece Sun 02-Nov-14 12:36:15

I've never bothered with the storing for a year business. just use it when I need to.

HappyAgainOneDay Sun 02-Nov-14 12:36:36

Wouldn't the Council just shred it all into a compost or bark chippings for mulch? Also, don't forget that 'Council land' is 'public land' - therefore it's 'taxpayers' land' = ours, yours, theirs.

CatKisser Sun 02-Nov-14 12:37:33

Me neither, cece. I gather it in dry weather when the wood feels really dry and find it burns just fine.

ClawHandsIfYouBelieveInFreaks Sun 02-Nov-14 12:38:43

Are you kidding? Everyone I know does that. My friend actually gets excited when he sees a tree in the lane. He's there with his saw before you can say "log burner".

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now