Talk

Advanced search

To think my neighbours are arseholes?

(46 Posts)
stargirl04 Sat 01-Nov-14 17:33:12

They were playing loud music the other night at 10pm. After about half an hour and I went round and asked them to turn it down. They did.

Now it's Saturday afternoon and I am at home trying to apply for jobs and all I can hear is thump, thump, thump through the wall. It's been going on over an hour now. I am f***ing fuming.

And they are always leaving bags of clothes outside their front door on the communal shared hallway - they sit there for weeks on end.

Young couple in their 20s/30s. Just want to smash their heads in with a baseball bat. I won't do that, of course, as I don't want to get a criminal record grin

Minikievs Sat 01-Nov-14 17:39:58

They're playing music at 5.30pm and last time they played it late, they turned it dove when you asked? They sound entirely reasonable. You don't though.

Minikievs Sat 01-Nov-14 17:40:24

down, not dove

Whiskwarrior Sat 01-Nov-14 17:41:20

Just want to smash their heads in with a baseball bat.

Who says that? You sound nice.

JubJubBirds Sat 01-Nov-14 17:43:00

YABU.

The bags thing sounds like a PITA but apart from that nothing you've said is unacceptable behaviour.

'Young couple in their 20s/30s. Just want to smash their heads in with a baseball bat. I won't do that, of course, as I don't want to get a criminal record grin'
hmm You sound like a treat...

Catsarebastards Sat 01-Nov-14 17:43:43

I think calm down maybe? And gain a bit of perspective.

woowoo22 Sat 01-Nov-14 17:44:31

She's venting. On the internet. It does sound like a total pain. Music shouldn't thump at any time. Wee thing called consideration for others.

JubJubBirds Sat 01-Nov-14 17:47:12

They turned down the music the first time with no bother, why not just go and ask them to turn it down again? Explain calmly that the nose really travels and invite them in to hear it if it'll help.

stargirl04 Sat 01-Nov-14 17:49:36

Whiskwarrior, people say stuff like this all the time. "Nice" people even. Through sheer frustration. Carrying out those thoughts though is another matter.

LittleBairn Sat 01-Nov-14 17:50:44

Nothing fucks me off more than loud thumping music regardless of the time.
I would speak to eniromental health about them.

stargirl04 Sat 01-Nov-14 17:52:33

Thank you woowoo - that's exactly what I'm doing, just venting grin.

JubJuBirds, thanks, that's a good idea. I'm going out tonight so I can't be bothered right now as it'll put me behind schedule. I will definitely do that though the next time.

To be fair they seem nice kids - just a bit thoughtless.

LynetteScavo Sat 01-Nov-14 17:52:36

I think you should move the bag of clothes, just to confuse them.

I did this with a full length mirror once. It was very useful for a while...then I put it back out.

Oh, and this is MN, you must never express any violent thought what so ever. It's like some sort of law.

MagicMojito Sat 01-Nov-14 17:53:56

I recommend a big cup of chamomile tea, and prahaps some pics of fluffy kittens. Maybr stay away from baseball bats til you calm the fuck down grin grin grin

Whiskwarrior Sat 01-Nov-14 17:54:00

Do they? Weird that. I don't and I don't know anyone who does. Especially over such innocuous things.

And before anyone says anything to me about me 'not understanding' or 'not knowing what it's like' I've lived next to some horrendous people when growing up. My parents also had neighbours from hell (downstairs) a couple of years back so I know how awful neighbours can be.

But wanting to smash their heads in with a baseball bat? Nope. I like to think I'm better than that.

And why am I the only person you're replying to OP?

stargirl04 Sat 01-Nov-14 17:54:48

LittleBairn, thanks. I will bear that avenue in mind if I can't resolve the problem with them amicably.

Yarp Sat 01-Nov-14 17:56:03

Noise really really gets to me too, and I have felt very angry with neighbours in the past.

I think they don't sound too bad in The grand scheme of things. I recommend ear plugs

BitterAndOnlySlightlyTwisted Sat 01-Nov-14 17:56:36

Loud music can be a bit of an annoyance but it's not an actual nuisance if it's still only the late afternoon/early evening.

You need to lighten the fuck up before you give yourself a coronary

LaurieFairyCake Sat 01-Nov-14 17:57:45

If you can hear it when you've got your own tv or radio on then it's too loud

That's the problem with living in such close proximity to other people, you have to find your own noise you can put up with to live with theirs

My neighbours are perfectly quiet, I still have to put the tv on low occasionally so I can't hear theirs

JubJubBirds Sat 01-Nov-14 17:58:27

'I think you should move the bag of clothes, just to confuse them.'
Or start wearing them. They'll probably stop leaving bags of clothes out if they think you're going to start rummaging though them! (Unless that's what they want you to do?!)

Our if interest, why are they 'always' leaving bags of clothes out? Where are they getting all these clothes from anyway? I assume they're in there way to a charity shop?

Whiskwarrior Sat 01-Nov-14 17:59:14

Speak to environmental health about two incidences of loud music, one during the day, the other for half an hour, which was turned down when asked?

Do you not think they have serious issues to be dealing with?

Cundtbake Sat 01-Nov-14 17:59:38

Yeah YABU. Maybe we live in very different areas but where I live it's pretty common for someone to play music on a Friday night. We just get on with it because it's a weekend and it's ok for people to let their hair down sometimes. But fair enough it bothered you, and fair enough they turned it down for you.

5.30 on a Saturday is fair play I'd say. You sound a bit mean.

You are also unreasonable to call a couple in their 20s/30s 'kids'.

I think when you live in a flat you need to have a bit more tolerance.

stargirl04 Sat 01-Nov-14 18:00:06

Do they? Weird that. I don't and I don't know anyone who does. Especially over such innocuous things.

1. A very mild-mannered colleague was discussing another colleague once. He told me: "After talking to her for about ten minutes, you just want to smash her face in."

Another colleague, talking about another woman, said: "She wants chucking off a balcony."

And no I'm not in the Mafia.

Perhaps you've lived a sheltered life.

Why am I the only person you're replying to OP?

You're not. You've jumped to a conclusion before I've been quick enough to type responses to others.

Alisvolatpropiis Sat 01-Nov-14 18:02:52

Op is right, perfectly nice, normal people say things like she did, they're turns of phrase.

Unpleasant, violent people actually do it.

I do think you are being a bit unreasonable. It's Saturday and not really their problem that you're applying for jobs.

stargirl04 Sat 01-Nov-14 18:05:39

Or start wearing them. They'll probably stop leaving bags of clothes out if they think you're going to start rummaging though them! (Unless that's what they want you to do?!)

Thanks for the laugh JubJu, that's really cheered me up! grin

Our if interest, why are they 'always' leaving bags of clothes out? Where are they getting all these clothes from anyway?

Hmm. I've no idea. The young lady buys a lot of clothes, so perhaps she gets bored of the old ones and recycles them more often than one would expect.

stargirl04 Sat 01-Nov-14 18:08:35

Okay, folks, the consensus seems to be that I'm being unreasonable, so I guess I must be.

Perhaps I need to meditate or something, or have a large gin and tonic.

Perhaps I'll start wearing the clothes they leave outside their flat, and say a cheery hello to them as I pass.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now