Talk

Advanced search

To ask how to get rid of this rank smell?

(12 Posts)
umbongoumbongo Sat 01-Nov-14 16:34:59

Having LTB I am moving into a temporary house share room til my tenants give my own (nice smelling) house back.

My new room smells of man smell; like a teenagers room and I think it's going to permeate my clothes as it's so strong. I was hoping that the few weeks since I looked at it and he moved out it would be better but it's very not.. How do I get rid? Any tips? Am on budget so needs to be cheap!

KingJoffreysBloodshotEye Sat 01-Nov-14 16:37:23

Chop up an onion and stick it in a bowl.

Absorbs smells.

And borrow a steam cleaner and go over the carpets.

seesensepeople Sat 01-Nov-14 16:47:34

open the window for as long as possible. wash the curtains and carpet if you can afford it. If you can't afford to wash carpet, sprinkle biological washing powder on it and leave for a few hours while you are at work - come hone and vacuum it up. Keep some potpourri in your wardrobe. Good spray of perfume every day and use of hair care and other products and it will soon be gone.

DoJo Sat 01-Nov-14 16:55:01

Bowls of bicarbonate of soda will help to soak up odours as well, especially if you can't keep the windows open. You can also try dampening a tea towel and whirling around your head - it works for smoke smells, so would probably do something to help man smells!

Gileswithachainsaw Sat 01-Nov-14 17:00:11

Cat litter?

That absorbs odors

championnibbler Sat 01-Nov-14 17:00:57

Place a few saucers/plates of vinegar around the room. These should absorb some of the pong. Open the windows and door to allow an air current to circulate. Leave the smallest window ajar at all times if its possible, for as long as you can. The smell should fade away soon.

cheerupandhaveaglassofwine Sat 01-Nov-14 17:11:02

Sprinkle a load of shake and vac on the carpet when you go out in a morning and leave hovering it up until you get back later on

May make things smell better

BlueBrightBlue Sat 01-Nov-14 17:18:58

I wouldn't use shake and vac; it makes the carpet tacky and just adds another smell.
Wash nets, curtains, shampoo carpet or use bicarbonate of soda.
Wipe dawn walls and painted furniture with soda crystals or sugar soap.
Vacuum mattress if it's included in the rent.
Leave natural pot pourri in cupboards and wardrobes.
Damp absorbing crystals are worth a try too.

LetsFaceTheMusicAndDance Sat 01-Nov-14 17:20:24

Big cheap tubs of bicarbonate of soda sprinked over the carpet instead of perfumed stuff. Leave as long as possible then hoover up. Ditto sofa. Wash curtains. If the walls are painted, wash them down with a solution of bicarbonate of soda too.

immaturestudent Sat 01-Nov-14 17:20:38

don't forget mattress and pillows, shake and vac and them steam cleaning both sides if you can, otherwise just thorough vacuum

umbongoumbongo Sat 01-Nov-14 20:16:16

Thanks for all these ideas! I won't use chemical stuff as if my dog doesn't get on with her dogs then he'll be sleeping in my room and wouldn't want him walking around in chemicals. Will try some of these suggestions and get an oil burner too for when I'm actually there as don't move in properly til next week!

possomcandle Sat 01-Nov-14 20:21:19

Steam cleaner is a great idea. It won't just get rid of the smell but it will make the place feel really fresh and clean too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now