Talk

Advanced search

Hotel Buffet Breakfasts ( cold) How do you do them?

(89 Posts)
NoelleHawthorne Sat 01-Nov-14 11:19:25

I was abroad with a lavish hotel breakfast of cold items. (North European)
If there were two of you eating, how would you arrange collection and arrangement of the items?

I think I did it wrong.

NoelleHawthorne Sat 01-Nov-14 11:19:55

( Ps not telling you how I did it until you reveal, but i think the English way is The Wrong Way)

Nancy66 Sat 01-Nov-14 11:25:20

I usually get some fruit and go back and eat that.

Then return for my hot plate.

NoelleHawthorne Sat 01-Nov-14 11:26:13

there is no hot
ok there are two of you.

How does that alter it?

Notbythehaironmychinnychinchin Sat 01-Nov-14 11:27:02

Just get what I want, return to my table, eat it, go.

wowfudge Sat 01-Nov-14 11:28:19

Get shown to a table, order coffee or tea then go and see what there is. If I'm with DP we don't take turns or get things for each other (neither of us is a child in need of supervision) as drinks will be on the table making it clear it's taken.

Nancy66 Sat 01-Nov-14 11:28:36

oh, sorry. Didn't read properly.

we'd probably sit at our table and then go one at a time and bring back what we needed. How many ways are there? !

andadietcoke Sat 01-Nov-14 11:28:50

I get my own. They get their own. I might get them orange juice when I go to get mine but that's the extent of it.

icanhaveadarksideifyouwantmeto Sat 01-Nov-14 11:29:04

i ususallu put what i fancy on the plate then eat it. i dont care about etiquette!

i dont understand why you are stressing.... no one marks your performance like they do on strictly!

its all going to get jumbled up in your tummy anyway

wowfudge Sat 01-Nov-14 11:29:23

What's the 'English way'? No one's ever communicated it to me if it exists!

NoelleHawthorne Sat 01-Nov-14 11:29:44

you take YOUR plate , trot off, go and get what you want and then return to eat your plate of stuff?*

*NB this is a v boring thread you have permission to leave now ;)

NoelleHawthorne Sat 01-Nov-14 11:30:19

no i am not stressing, I just noticed it was different abroad. Its not a big deal!

magpiegin Sat 01-Nov-14 11:30:29

We'd just go up together and get what we wanted (wouldn't take it in turns) and go back up as required.

NoelleHawthorne Sat 01-Nov-14 11:31:02

RIGHT
well it seems that German families do it in a much nicer way that made me at once annoyed and also secretly jealous

wowfudge Sat 01-Nov-14 11:31:35

Is there another way of doing this which people of other nationalities always do??

NoelleHawthorne Sat 01-Nov-14 11:32:01

they lay a little table with rolls on one plate, ham and cheese on another etc and then all help themselves from the communal plate.

It was so NICE and i just looked like a big ol warthog with my own plate groaning with food.

wowfudge Sat 01-Nov-14 11:32:04

Just say what it is then!

NoelleHawthorne Sat 01-Nov-14 11:32:17

( I think it is in their DNA grin)

Nancy66 Sat 01-Nov-14 11:32:40

it's usually the Germans who are stuffing fistfuls of it in their pockets for later

TheFirstOfHerName Sat 01-Nov-14 11:32:55

Each person fills a plate with the food they are going to eat.
Then takes it back to the table.
Then eats it.

Are there other methods?

MuttonCadet Sat 01-Nov-14 11:33:15

What do Germans do? I never thought of doing anything but going and helping myself to whatever I fancy and letting DH do the same. blush

wowfudge Sat 01-Nov-14 11:33:29

X post - well that just presupposes everyone wants the same thing and sounds like a more limited selection than I was imagining. Perhaps they had a look and discussed what to get. Who knows.

NoelleHawthorne Sat 01-Nov-14 11:33:38

yes there IS * weeps * and it was SO GENTEEL

MuttonCadet Sat 01-Nov-14 11:34:19

Sorry x posted, that dies sound a nicer way, but wasteful if things get left and messy if you haven't got a plate in front of you as well.

NoelleHawthorne Sat 01-Nov-14 11:34:28

Several families did this. I pretended that I thought it was crap but it made them look like UBER families.

This is why I hate eating breakfast with other people. * wrings hands *

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now