Talk

Advanced search

For asking for quiet after 11pm on a Saturday night when at work the next day?

(7 Posts)
FeckOffHeadache Sat 01-Nov-14 09:26:05

Posted about this yesterday but afterwards I spoke to do who agreed with me (and you guys unknowingly) that yeah, it's not unreasonable to ask for everyone to quieten down after 11pm on a Saturday night.

Anyway, it all kicked off again last night hence the second post on AIbU.

Basically the story is that I work Sundays - 7-4 (as well as a further 36 hours during the week). Now DPS kids stay with us every Saturday night. Youngest is quiet as a mouse all the time, eldest (almost 19) is noisy with computer games, guitars, loudly talking over the internet in his room and music. He has a habit of making a racket into the early hours if he can get away with it.

I don't sleep well at the best of times so I asked DP yesterday if we can make a rule about no noise after 11pm if people are in bed. A bit of resistance at first saying it was everyone's time to relax and I was being a bit selfish but eventually agreed that 11pm wasn't an unreasonable time to ask for quiet.

Anyway! Last night after a few drinks it was getting on for 11.30pm and DP pointed out to me the time, said he had to be at work in morning (sat morning) and my kids were still up making a racket. My youngest was quiet as a mouse and my eldest was singing as he got into bed.... However DP was still up himself ... By chioice ... Drinking and watching jools holland. I said its not really the same thing as he's not in bed trying to sleep ... My request for quiet was intended for if someone is trying to sleep after 11pm. He was still up by choice! Therefore he changed to say that he's making an effort to stay up late on a Friday night, despite being at work the next day and I should do the same on a Saturday night. Basically he doesn't want his eldest being told not to make noise after 11pm.

He then said "when your lad is 19 will you expect him to be quiet on a Saturday night ?" My reply was that if someone was trying to sleep I'd expect ANYONE to be quiet out of common courtesy!! It was his choice to stay up late last night ... I'd rather get some sleep if I'm at work the next day ... Surely I'm allowed to make that choice???? Or am I being selfish??

honeysucklejasmine Sat 01-Nov-14 09:29:16

YANBU, its manners. 19 is old enough to understand. Surely if 19yo feels aggrieved, he can just go to the pub etc?

WonkoTheSane42 Sat 01-Nov-14 09:35:17

I remember your last thread - why haven't you left this twat yet?

FeckOffHeadache Sat 01-Nov-14 09:37:19

I only posted it yesterday wonko!

WonkoTheSane42 Sat 01-Nov-14 09:41:01

Maybe it wasn't you - I remember one about wanting to watch TV and him turning it into a screaming row. And then an update later that he regularly acts like a total arse, and once tried to dump you while in a foreign country.

IDontDoIroning Sat 01-Nov-14 09:46:05

I saw your thread yesterday. Basically if there in anyone in bed after 11 (because they have work or just because ) then anyone in the house who is still up be that partner sibling child step child guest flat mate lodger whatever should respect that and try to be quiet. It's just common curtesy.

It seems to me he engineered the situation to say hey look at me Im in work tomorrow but I don't impose petty rules because I'm staying up - so you should do the same.

I'm afraid he's an arse.

My dc is similar age and will stay up on a weekend night on the x box live talking to friends etc when the rest of us (parents and siblings) go to bed we just tell him to quieten down and not disturb us.

LadyLuck10 Sat 01-Nov-14 09:57:50

It's seems like it's turning out to be a my kids/ your kids issue. It's terrible when a couple start talking about their kids like that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now