Talk

Advanced search

To hope people wouldn't use fireworks as it wakes my toddler up?

(23 Posts)
MamaMed Fri 31-Oct-14 23:23:29

There are people doing fireworks at this time of the night. After months and months of trying to settle my LO into a routine, we finally hit the nail and had a full night sleep. Now the fireworks have started and are awaking her up. AIBU to hope people wouldn't use fireworks that are so loud?

Stuckonthebaby Fri 31-Oct-14 23:27:07

Not unreasonable to hope I suppose! Can you put a ball of cotton wool in their ear if they're that sensitive?

susiedaisy Fri 31-Oct-14 23:27:46

Yanbu my dc are fee now but I used to dread fireworks and New Year's Eve for that exact reason

susiedaisy Fri 31-Oct-14 23:28:19

Fee?? I mean older now

LaurieFairyCake Fri 31-Oct-14 23:28:51

Tiny earbuds or cotton wool

Yes, you are being unreasonable - lots of people like fireworks and your lovely baby isn't the only person in the world smile

53Dragon Fri 31-Oct-14 23:29:41

I was woken up by the church bells for midnight mass when i was 9 months pregnant, then again on NYE when ds1 was 4 days old. Seriously unamused!

ErrolTheDragon Fri 31-Oct-14 23:29:44

At this time of night, YANBU - it's dark enough early in the evening now, that's the time for firework parties, I really don't get why people have to do them late. Not many do round here for Guy Fawkes TBF- it's the wretched new custom of bringing in the New Year with fireworks after midnight which is really obnoxious. It never happened last century - was understandable as a one off for the Millenium but inconsiderate twerps have made it into a tradition. hmm

Clairej81 Fri 31-Oct-14 23:29:55

YANBU. I m sitting here thinking exactly the same, just waiting for DS to wake up when I could do with a good nights sleep. I sort of accept it's going to happen early evening on the run up to the 5th but at this time of night it's just irresponsible.

Suefla62 Fri 31-Oct-14 23:31:42

@53Dragon. I bet the church bells were there long before you were.

WorraLiberty Fri 31-Oct-14 23:31:53

You can hope for what you like

Doesn't mean it's ever going to happen though

You've got bonfire night and NYE to get through yet.

McFox Fri 31-Oct-14 23:33:45

Yes, totally unreasonable!

You should try living in edinburgh, we have a whole month of fireworks (that end at 11.30) throughout August, across Christmas and Hogmanay, and many other random nights in between. It's never bothered my DS.

You're destined for disappointment if you expect silence every time your precious baby goes to bed! smile

Pilgit Fri 31-Oct-14 23:56:20

At this time of night? That is anti social! Should all be before 9pm. New years eve is the only exception to that in a residential area (and even then I frown). But I like you have DC who wake up terrified. I dread this time of year where my normal sound sleepers wake and wail.

MandarinCheesecake Sat 01-Nov-14 09:53:31

YANBU to "hope" that people wont use fireworks, but thinking that people "wont" let them off at this time of year is unreasonable.

How do they know that you have a sleeping toddler?
Also I have yet to find quiet Firework, all fireworks are loud.

A firework is likely to wake a sleeping child whether its 8pm or 11pm but do agree there should be a cut off time for letting them off, apart from New Year, not really any need to let them off late at night. So YANBU to be pissed off!!!!

Idontseeanysontarans Sat 01-Nov-14 10:05:06

YANBU to hope!
I don't mind fireworks and my lot have learnt (after a few frankly painful nights) to sleep through but setting them off really late any night apart from NYE is pretty anti social.
On the upside your LO will get used to them and will likely start to sleep through them at some point.

poolomoomon Sat 01-Nov-14 11:11:30

I hope they ban buying fireworks without a licence soon... It's like that in most countries. I find it absolutely ludicrous anyone over the age of 18 can buy them in this country. They are in effect a weapon, an explosive and should be treat that way. They're not harmless fun, they're dangerous and extremely antisocial. I'm all for public displays personally. Organised, controlled and at a reasonable hour. Reduces the risks tenfold.

Yanbu. Dreading the 5th and New Years. Two went off on Monday and my DC hit the roof, went completely ballistic. I'm expecting no sleep those two nights and probably the weekends after and few days running up to both sad.

NoelleHawthorne Sat 01-Nov-14 11:24:30

oh fgs
Not everyone is interested in your kid.

Nanny0gg Sat 01-Nov-14 11:38:11

* Not everyone is interested in your kid*

Or pets, or wildlife, sadly.

There is no good reason other than Bonfire Night, New Year and Diwali to have the blessed things. And certainly not after 9pm.

Very anti-social.

Idontseeanysontarans Sat 01-Nov-14 11:39:57

I agree that fireworks should be licensed as well, organised displays only and stop selling the damn things in supermarkets!
(And I actually like fireworks!)

InfinitySeven Sat 01-Nov-14 11:41:25

Interesting that someone has said fireworks should finish before 9pm. Police guidance around here is to wait until after 7:30pm before starting to use fireworks, and to ensure that any private or public displays have ended before 3am.

53Dragon Tue 04-Nov-14 00:28:26

Suefla62 yes of course they were - what's your point? I was unamused when I was 9 months pregnant and with a new baby - the other 25 years it wasn't a problem...

Redglitter Tue 04-Nov-14 02:08:22

Fireworks can be let off up til 11pm any night. til midnight on Bonfire night and til 1 am New Year. Chinese New Year & Dilwara

Hatespiders Tue 04-Nov-14 18:47:55

We had some on Hallowe'en at the village pub. Our smallest Siamese cat gets terrified and squeezes behind the dishwasher. But one of their fireworks was so loud we though the Taliban had arrived and the poor cat started ricocheting around the kitchen in utter panic. Not acceptable if as loud as that.
But I used to adore them as a child and wouldn't want to spoil people's fun.
I think you'll have to grin and bear it. It won't be for long.

ToastyFingers Tue 04-Nov-14 20:08:57

Where I live there is a weekly display for six months of the year, literally 5 minutes walk from my front door.

Luckily they don't wake DD up, which is somewhat ironic, as she is an awful sleeper.

You have my sympathy OP, I bloody hate fireworks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now