Talk

Advanced search

to give cakes instead of sweets?

(97 Posts)
CharlotteCollins Fri 31-Oct-14 17:41:27

They're homemade, too.

I didn't want to buy in specially, and I don't have sweets in the house. So I made cupcakes and decorated with bone sprinkles or spiderweb-style icing.

The children are going to hate me, aren't they?

MrsCakesPrecognition Fri 31-Oct-14 17:43:37

The children will love the cakes.
They may end up a bit battered in their bags though.
I think it is a lovely idea.

squoosh Fri 31-Oct-14 17:44:27

Nope. They're going to say 'cake! brilliant!'.

WooWooOwl Fri 31-Oct-14 17:47:18

YANBU. I expect they will get eaten straight away.

Do you know how many trick or treaters you're likely to get though? I'd have to bake for a week for the number we get!

Catsmamma Fri 31-Oct-14 17:48:46

i have hula hoops, mini rolls, fudge cake bars and caramel cake bars

and am wondering about dropping some plastic eyeballs in the bowl too?

WorraLiberty Fri 31-Oct-14 17:50:00

YANBU

Although I've known more than one parent over the years, who've made their kids thrown them away afterwards because "You don't know what the person's kitchen/hygiene is like".

ArabellaTarantella Fri 31-Oct-14 17:51:35

They'll love 'em, honest thlsmile

We have a bowl of sweets...and oranges that I've sharpied to look like pumpkins

More oranges then sweets have gone hmm

ControlGeek Fri 31-Oct-14 18:13:38

I gave cupcakes last year - they were flying out the door faster than I could decorate them! This year I've stuck to sweets to give myself more pumpkin carving time but the trick or treaters seem to be thinner on the ground so far...

toriap2 Fri 31-Oct-14 18:15:53

I did cakes this year and the kids are loving them. Spooky sprinkles and orange icing.

foslady Fri 31-Oct-14 18:34:40

Dsis did horror cakes one year (green icing with eye balls) big disappointment when they ran out!!!

Minikievs Fri 31-Oct-14 19:06:14

My DS has just got back-his best treat was a beautifully decorated handmade cupcake! He's refused to eat it as it's so nice! So YANBU

juneybean Fri 31-Oct-14 19:07:32

As long as they haven't so much looked at a nut?

WitchWay Fri 31-Oct-14 19:11:14

I have some assorted little packets of Haribo. No-one has rung the bell yet so perhaps we're not on this years route. DH will eat the horrible things. DS & I have better taste

WitchWay Fri 31-Oct-14 19:11:57

Apostrophe fail blush

year's

CharlotteCollins Fri 31-Oct-14 19:33:04

Aw, thanks. You're all so encouraging!

Definitely no sign of a nut, juney.

It was my first halloween experience - have always lived out of the way or hidden in a dark house before! Only had a few, but it was nice to have some, and kids from the village who I know, too.

<little warm glow inside>

ScarletFever Fri 31-Oct-14 20:15:08

we got some dodgy biscuits with some home made soft icing on..... mmm.....couldnt put them in our bags sadly, and the kids didnt fancy them sadly

so they had to be disposed off very carefully so the family who gave them to us didnt get offended

ScarletFever Fri 31-Oct-14 20:15:20

of!! not OFF!!

sesamstrasse Fri 31-Oct-14 23:37:34

I wouldn't let my kids eat them because of all the razorblade stories and the like! Paranoid!

musicalendorphins2 Sat 01-Nov-14 00:39:50

I am sorry, but one of the top Halloween safety rules is to not give out or eat home made or unwrapped.unsealed treats from strangers.
But if you mean for a party, that would be fine.

musicalendorphins2 Sat 01-Nov-14 00:45:49

I do relate though, I really wanted to make taffy apples to give out, but because of ^^ "the Rules", I made cookies and hand delivered to the kids we know last night. I should have added that to my post. We didn't give at the door, as my back is out and there are stairs to the front door I can't manage.

kitnkaboodle Sat 01-Nov-14 01:59:53

Umm.. what rules? That sounds insane. Are people really that fearful ... of a cake??

steff13 Sat 01-Nov-14 02:08:29

Here we're told not to accept homemade treats unless they come from people you know. I never understood that, though; if I were going to poison a bunch of kids on Halloween, I'd do it with a Snickers or Reese's Cup, not something unique that could easily be traced back to me. That's just logical.

People talk about poison and razor baldes in treats, but I've read the only kid who was ever actually poisoned by Halloween candy was poisoned by his own father, and it happened about 40 years ago.

kitnkaboodle Sat 01-Nov-14 02:14:27

Please tell me this is a joke. Do you really think there are people out there who would poison cupcakes and give them to kids at Halloween .... ! Why in the name of god would anyone other than a cartoon villain do that! Some people must live their lives paralysed with fear

steff13 Sat 01-Nov-14 02:19:05

People here can take their kids' candy to the police station to be checked. Some hospitals will even x-ray it.

Here's a link to the Halloween safety tips from the CDC:

www.cdc.gov/family/halloween/

The 10th item down is not to eat homemade treats. I've never actually seen a homemade treat, myself. Not when I was trick or treating myself, nor in any of my kids' bags.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now