Talk

Advanced search

do you think im unreasonable re loose dogs/paper round?

(21 Posts)
annabanana19 Fri 31-Oct-14 15:58:11

DC2 started a small paper round in the village. Once a month delivering 25 copies of local newspaper. We are a very small village 1 shop also selling said paper.

she does not get paid for delivering but some regulars give tips and I also give pocket money for delivering.

Last month DC ran into the house crying after delivering paper to a house up the road. She said that 2 loose dogs were barking at her and running round when she went through the gate. So I said that she was not to go there again. I know the owner and I messaged her on FB (to ensure I had a copy of what was said as this woman will turn things round) to say that DC would not be able to deliver again as the dogs scared her.

her reply was "not my dogs they were from local farm". DC said they were definitely hers as she's seen them before on the land.

next morning woman passes DH and said "im sorry about the dogs. They wont do anything to anyone" . That old chestnut after saying they didn't belong to her to start off with.

This morning lady asked DC is she could have a paper delivered! Ive said to DC that she is not to go there. There is no reason why this woman cannot go to the shop to get a paper as 23 of the papers go to old folk who arent very mobile.

So would you let your kid deliver this paper?

annabanana19 Fri 31-Oct-14 15:59:35

Sorry it long!

Forgot to mention that she isnt usually scared of dogs and none of the other houses have dogs.

BellaVita Fri 31-Oct-14 16:02:37

No I wouldnt.

sparechange Fri 31-Oct-14 16:03:43

Can't the woman get a bit of pipe installed near the gate, so your DD can put the paper in there?

DoJo Fri 31-Oct-14 16:05:11

I wouldn't, but then I don't think I would let my child have a job that doesn't actually pay anything - how is that even a thing?

InSpaceNooneCanHearYouScream Fri 31-Oct-14 16:09:35

YANBU, but why on earth doesn't she get paid anything?

annabanana19 Fri 31-Oct-14 16:10:07

Dojo - its once a month, 2 hours. Its called community spirit. Without it villages like where I live die.

If you read it it does say i pay her in pocket money and the tips she gets.

Teaches her something don't you think?

annabanana19 Fri 31-Oct-14 16:12:07

23 of the 25 papers she delivers are for people in their 80/90's. If someone cant be kind and deliver a paper once a month what kind of world do we live in?

Marlinspike Fri 31-Oct-14 16:15:16

YANBU regarding non delivery if the paper, and YANBU for your community spirit- local newsletters operate on a shoestring, and need kind folk like you and your DD to keep them going!

annabanana19 Fri 31-Oct-14 16:17:06

Also everyone who does something for the paper does it voluntary. From the treasurer to the typist to the Secretary and other kids who deliver . The only thing the 50p cost per paper sold is the cost of printing.

I live in a very community oriented part of the country.

annabanana19 Fri 31-Oct-14 16:29:18

Thank you marlinspike x the old people love seeing her. Usually comes away with 20p and a kitkat thats been in the cupboard for months. But at least we know the neighbours and they get to see different generations of people helping them.

DoJo Fri 31-Oct-14 16:35:13

No need to bite my head off - I only asked! What you describe is not what I would call a paper round, hence my surprise that she was not being paid, but I still don't think she should be expected to deliver to a house where she feels unsafe.

annabanana19 Fri 31-Oct-14 16:40:39

Bite your head off! What I gave was an explanation!

She wont be delivering to this house.

annabanana19 Fri 31-Oct-14 16:41:55

What is a definition of a paper round!?

She delivers papers round the village. IMO its a paper round.

Does it really matter to you?

DoJo Fri 31-Oct-14 16:48:01

Your response seemed testy - perhaps that's just the medium, but considering I was trying to help, I assumed that you found my original post annoying for some reason.

It only matters to me in as much as it wasn't clear (to me at least) from your OP what the set up was and why you or your daughter would feel obliged to deliver the paper under circumstances which didn't seem like a normal paper round. I obviously didn't express myself that clearly as you now seem even more annoyed. Sorry. :-(

annabanana19 Fri 31-Oct-14 17:02:45

No need to apologise Dojo x!

I think its important for kids to do some work be it paid or not. Where I live everyone does the helping out with neighbours/we have designated snow-shovelers for when we get stuck/pick up people's prescriptions etc

may sound odd to some but its what we do and ive been brought to to help where I can.

InSpaceNooneCanHearYouScream Fri 31-Oct-14 17:10:12

You didn't make it clear initially that it was a community thing. We had visions of a greedy shopkeeper getting kids working for nothing. And your responses most definitely were testy!

DoJo Fri 31-Oct-14 17:12:41

I doesn't sound odd now I understand the set-up - my son comes with me when I deliver our local magazine, and all the old ladies get to coo over him as well as learning who in the village has done what over the last month.

I was really just thinking that if the lady was paying the shop to have your daughter deliver a newspaper in (what I think of as) a 'traditional' or more commercial paper round, then it would be better to go through the shop and let them tell her to sling her hook (or at least stop taking her money and get her to pick it up herself!).

HowlCapone Fri 31-Oct-14 17:13:48

Can't the woman get a bit of pipe installed near the gate, so your DD can put the paper in there?

this is a very good suggestion.

TheFirstOfHerName Fri 31-Oct-14 17:13:50

DH still has the scars from the dog bite he received aged 14 while doing a paper round. YANBU. If she wants a paper delivered, then she can put a mailbox at the edge of the property.

lljkk Fri 31-Oct-14 17:45:52

I would go with her to deliver papers to that house & shoo the dogs for her.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now