Talk

Advanced search

to be concerned about this boy?

(16 Posts)
KirjavaTheCorpse Fri 31-Oct-14 13:30:15

I just popped to the shops along my road and encountered a little boy who I think may be in some trouble, and I'm not sure what to do.

I was browsing in the aisle and he politely asked me to move a bit so he could get past. Then he turned to me and asked me if I knew where a train station was that would take him to London. He looked to be about 8/9 years old, and the only train station in our town is a couple of miles away, so if he was local he'd know that. He was also sporting a fresh black eye and cuts on his face. He looked like he'd been beaten up.

"The train station is in town"
"Which direction? Can I walk there?"
"Where's your mum...?"
"She's in London"
"You want to go to London alone?"
"I'm staying with my nan. You're police innit"
"No, I'm not police... I'm just a bit worried. How'd you hurt yourself?"
"I'm fine, I'm fine, I'm staying with my nan..."
"Are you ok?"

At this point he looked very nervous, and started walking out of the shop. I followed him, and he stood at the door and called to one of the boys that were standing outside who looked about the same age, who came over and asked what's up.

"See? This is my cousin, this is my little cousin" pointing to the boy. Boy looked confused.

And then they left.

I came back inside and the shop assistant asked what was wrong, so I explained. He said he'd seen the boy the day before hanging around outside with the same boys.

Would you still be worried?

StillStayingClassySanDiego Fri 31-Oct-14 13:31:57

Yes I'd be concerned, log it with the police on the non emergency number perhaps?

sooperdooper Fri 31-Oct-14 13:33:27

Yes, it does sounds a bit odd, but I'm not sure what you could do? Maybe report it via non emergency number and see if a police patrol in the area could see if they can find him? Poor kid, it does sound like not everything is right there at all sad

LadyLuck10 Fri 31-Oct-14 13:34:33

Yes I would be concerned. Log with the police, if he's hanging around the area they might be able to find him and help. Poor boy.

thornrose Fri 31-Oct-14 13:34:55

I would be worried to be honest yes.

BolshierAyraStark Fri 31-Oct-14 13:42:09

I'd be concerned, call the non emergency police number & tell them.

KirjavaTheCorpse Fri 31-Oct-14 13:44:04

Thanks, I will. Just needed to be told I'm not being an interfering fool!

Hatespiders Fri 31-Oct-14 13:45:07

Definitely something wrong here. You'd be quite right to call the Police and let them know.
(I can never forget that poor little Jamie Bulger case. Not the same circumstances I know, but if only someone had called the Police...)

GallbladderFairy Fri 31-Oct-14 13:45:23

Oh dear, that doesn't sound good. Poor boy sad

atticusclaw Fri 31-Oct-14 13:45:32

Yes definitely notify the police

WorraLiberty Fri 31-Oct-14 13:48:09

I'd ring 101 and tell the police what you've told us.

I'm sure they'll send someone to the shop, to have a look at the CCTV.

Or to go to the train station.

britbat Fri 31-Oct-14 13:57:23

It's halloween. It's half term. His 'injuries' were probably makeup. He may have been trying to pickpocket you.

Call the police either way, but more likely to be part of a scam or prank than 'at risk'.

avocadotoast Fri 31-Oct-14 13:59:08

britbat, seriously?! An 8 year old wouldn't be able to do makeup well enough for it to look like real cuts and bruises.

It might be nothing, but if it were me, I'd definitely log it with the police.

KirjavaTheCorpse Fri 31-Oct-14 14:07:52

They were definitely real bruises, the cuts weren't gory gashes they were small injuries.

Well, police have been informed. S'pose that's all I can do.

WorraLiberty Fri 31-Oct-14 14:09:31

Well done OP

Hopefully they'll take a look into it and warn other officers to be on the lookout for the boys.

BolshierAyraStark Fri 31-Oct-14 14:13:33

Well done, it might be nothing but best they look into it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now