Talk

Advanced search

WIBU not to double-check price?

(9 Posts)
HelloLA Fri 31-Oct-14 13:15:22

So annoyed!

Today I went for my first haircut and colour in about a thousand years (or at least since the 90s). Booked at a local chain salon, because the receptionist told me there was a 50% discount on hair colour. She was enthusiastic. I was enthusiastic. What could possibly go wrong?

At the end of today's appointment, I get charged full whack. Apparently the special offer doesn't start till Monday; the receptionist is new and made a mistake. I'm £40 down. Have a very awkward discussion about it with the stylist. The manager is too busy to come out. End up paying the whole thing, like a total mug.

But... should I have confirmed the price at the start of my appointment? The stylist and I chatted about the details of cut/colour; it didn't occur to me to double-check the price. It's a long time since I was in a hair salon. The receptionist had seemed perfectly confident. I didn't haggle for the discount -- she offered.

AIBU to email customer services and complain, or should I suck up the £40 difference because it was naive of me not to confirm price at the actual appointment?

futterwacken Fri 31-Oct-14 13:19:31

I’d complain, it’s not your fault.if the receptionist told you one price that’s what I’d expect. It’s worth following it up.

VivaLeBeaver Fri 31-Oct-14 13:21:10

Follow it up, not your fault at all.

LemonadeRayGun Fri 31-Oct-14 13:21:36

This has happened to me several times in hairdressers, I think sometimes they try it on you know. I have always refused to pay the full price, I pay what I was quoted on the phone, but it is always so awkward. Now I do confirm the price before having it done but only cos I have been stung before!

Definitely complain, take it to the manager, this isn't on, for all you know it could be a common scam...

AimlesslyPurposeful Fri 31-Oct-14 13:22:22

Yes follow it up. You were not charged the price quoted.

Rafflesway Fri 31-Oct-14 13:27:36

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

HelloLA Fri 31-Oct-14 19:52:51

Thanks for the replies.

I followed up. Called and complained politely to the manager himself. He claimed there'd been a 'miscommunication'; he was perfectly happy to refund the £40. hmm

For bonus points, I had to go back to the salon for the refund, and the manager was very abrupt. Not even a passing sorry-for-the-mixup, or hope-you-didn't-travel-far.

Why? WHY be so shit at customer service? I'll need to have my roots redone in 6-8 weeks, and my arse if I'm going back there. Countless salons on the same road. Glad to have the refund, but -- aargh, come on!

HermioneWeasley Fri 31-Oct-14 19:58:33

Glad you got the refund. Extraordinary isn't it? I went to the same salon for years - £38 every 6 weeks, I dread to think what that adds up to. Often kept waiting a few minutes, 10-15 being the norm and 30 mins not unheard of. The one fricking time I am late (entirely my own fault) the stylist gets huffy with me. Not been back since.

futterwacken Fri 31-Oct-14 19:59:49

That’s a bit shitty but glad you got your refund.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now