Talk

Advanced search

To get annoyed when people get ds really excited then get annoyed when he acts like an excited child?

(10 Posts)
Pyjamaramadrama Thu 30-Oct-14 23:37:36

Wondering if anyone can relate to this.

Whenever we go out anywhere, shops, restaurants, park, parties ds is always pretty well behaved.

But there's a couple of family members, and if we go out for a meal somewhere they'll get ds really excited and silly by for example making fart noises, or pretending to be monsters, or telling him to say daft things, pretending they're going to eat his dinner or steal his cutlery, or hiding his colouring book, or asking him questions about school such as what's his teachers name and then when he gives a sensible answer they'll say what "Miss Smelly Bum", all of which ds finds hilarious, but then when they've had enough they expect him just to immediately sit quietly and shut up. Then get annoyed when he carries on.

I'm not saying it's a massive problem at all and I end up stepping in and saying calm down now and enough is enough. But then they'll usually do another daft little thing like tickle him and he gets mixed messages, mums telling him off and uncle/cousin is still playing.

Ds ends up getting a bit of a telling off when it was all unnecessary.

Maybe I'm just being a big grump but I think there's a time and a place to act daft with kids.

FelixTitling Thu 30-Oct-14 23:43:32

Completely relate to this. When we go spend time with my parents, I end up telling my dad off as though he were a small child. He just won't stop!

I don't tell ds off though as I don't think it's his fault.

MildDrPepperAddiction Thu 30-Oct-14 23:45:49

Yanbu

I really dislike when adults do this. Children don't understand the game is over and understandably carry on. It really winds me up. Why upset a child like that? At least try to wind the game down instead of just stopping.

pregnantpause Thu 30-Oct-14 23:47:32

My own dh does this. Drives me mad. If you wind them up then - Don't complain when they're all wound up ffs. Yanbu. My in laws are far worse, they play hugely exciting games, then don't understand when dc don't just go to sleep on demand straight after. The issue is they( the adult) may be faking the excitement/ laughter/ fun whereas the children are genuinely feeling hugely excited, besides themselves with laughter, having loads of fun- they don't just shut off.

ClawHandsIfYouBelieveInFreaks Thu 30-Oct-14 23:48:19

YANBU and the thing is not all kids like that carry on. People such as you describe are all hmm when my DC DON'T find it hilarious. Mine think it;s a load of bollocks....some adult pretending to take things etc.

Pyjamaramadrama Thu 30-Oct-14 23:56:40

I think it's a bit tormenting actually too because even though ds is laughing it does wind him up a bit when he's trying to answer a question they've asked for the tenth time and they're still being daft.

TwelveLeggedWalk Fri 31-Oct-14 00:00:10

Oh god, MIL babysitting.

I can have had a semi civilised calm tea, got them into the bath, ready for warm milk and quiet stories....

MIL arrives and it's like Party at Mr Blobby's House on Acid.

I've given up stressing over it now and just go out. If she can't get them down to sleep it is basically a problem of her own making.

WillkommenBienvenue Fri 31-Oct-14 00:01:04

They do it because it gives them some kind of satisfaction, being the friendly uncle, the one that sides with them against the boring stuffy adults. But it's all for their own benefit, they do it to be admired and favoured. It's as much about showing off how good fun they are to the other adults as it is about entertaining the child.

Having said that, if that winds the child up, then the instigator should be the one to calm him down, not the mother. I would just walk away and let good old uncle deal with the consequences.

I don't know why this has particularly wound me up. Goes along with people who wind children up deliberately, lying to them and then saying 'not really, got you there'...
ha bloody ha

yippeekiyaymiffy Fri 31-Oct-14 00:09:47

Absolutely get this. My dad has been known to say my toddler DS is 'hard work' - when he's spent two hours winding him up!

DustyCropHopper Fri 31-Oct-14 00:17:10

YANBU! Ds2 is dyspraxic, has global delay and sensory issues so eating out or large social gatherings can be testing. We went out for lunch with the pil. I took along the distraction toys etc. halfway through I could see ds2 becoming restless so I took him outside to do some excercises to boost his senses, as advised by his OT. Dd joined in too, which made it fun. We went back in and after a while fil started winding ds2 up, so again I removed him, followed the same routine and returned, fil continued as he had before we went out and all my efforts went to waste! Mind you, do can be just as bad!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now