Talk

Advanced search

...to want to send Trick or Treating back to America?

(136 Posts)
onedamnthingafteranother Thu 30-Oct-14 23:24:23

I want to relax in my own home of an evening, not close all the curtains and turn the lights off and pretend to be out (or actually have to go out) because this whole imported idiocy turns up all evening (we are near the centre of town and get inundated) at my doorstep once a year.

Grumble grumble, I'm a grouch - also an introvert in a people job who wants to pull up the drawbridge at night. Thinking of leaving a bucket of chocs outside with a "don't knock, just help yourselves" notice. Trouble is, door opens straight into the pavement.

Ludoole Thu 30-Oct-14 23:29:43

We've had trick or treaters all week.
Last monday one kept his finger on the doorbell until dp finally answered the door. He said "Happy xmas" to the trick or treater who looked confused and said it wasnt xmas.
Dp replied with "its not Halloween yet either..."

StrattersFeeear Thu 30-Oct-14 23:29:46

It's one night a year, and lovely for small children to dress up. We've spent the day decorating the hall, ready for them. Just turn the lights off for a couple of hours, it's no big deal.

Besides, it's not an American import, it's been going for decades in some parts of the country.

missknows Thu 30-Oct-14 23:30:05

It didn't come from America so good luck with that!

Bumpandbaby2014 Thu 30-Oct-14 23:32:18

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Bailey101 Thu 30-Oct-14 23:34:20

Trick or treating isn't American hmm

CurlyWurlyCake Thu 30-Oct-14 23:37:06

Aw it's one night. I would be peeved it became a thing to be before the night, that's why fireworks piss me off all the way to fuckoffdome and back again.

onedamnthingafteranother Thu 30-Oct-14 23:38:10

It is an American import as far as I can see - yes, Halloween had occasional parties with apple bobbing and such when I was young (60s/70s) but no traipsing round to people's houses in costume for sweets - never.

middlings Thu 30-Oct-14 23:41:07

Well I'm Irish, and I was traipsing around to the neighbours in the early '80s and it was around way before that so maybe actually, you imported it from us! thlgrin

TheXxed Thu 30-Oct-14 23:41:12

I live in Lambeth, there has been a recent influx on MC families who have been priced out of other areas, they haven't quite got the lay of the land. If you trick or treat around here you are taking your life in your hands.

onedamnthingafteranother Thu 30-Oct-14 23:41:54

middlings - you are very welcome to it back :-)

traceybaybee Thu 30-Oct-14 23:42:25

Trick or treating is american, guysing (sp?) is what its known as here in scotland traditionally

MildDrPepperAddiction Thu 30-Oct-14 23:42:39

YABU

And it's not American

Alambil Thu 30-Oct-14 23:43:15

stick a note on the door - I do and it works well

Riverland Thu 30-Oct-14 23:45:57

I thought it was a USA import too. Never did it when I was a kid, only penny for the guy, later on.

gregsageek Thu 30-Oct-14 23:53:11

I'm in the States and it is fairly "disciplined" here - if you don't have your porch light on, it is the sign that you are not doing it and/or you have run out of candy, and no one comes to your door. It's pretty much done by 8pm anyway. In my BIL's town in Indiana, Trick or Treating lasts from 5 til 7pm and then all shuts down.

innogen75 Thu 30-Oct-14 23:53:32

Yabu to think it's American. Our guysing/souling tradition which is the same thing far predates theirs. They took it off us!

ravenAK Thu 30-Oct-14 23:53:50

Decorated houses get called on, non-decorated = not playing. Simple.

If you're getting 'inundated', despite lack of decoration, put a note on the door 'Please don't disturb - not doing Trick or Treat'. You can then legitimately send any knockers away with a flea in their ear.

It's NOT an imported thing btw! I went TorTing in the 70s & 80s (Midlands).

Bucket of sweets outside actually sounds like a great idea in conjunction with 'don't disturb' sign - if you want to be friendly-ish to neighbours with dressed up tinies. Not sure it'd be as effective against teens later on, so if it's that that bothers you I'd just stick with sign on door & ignoring any knocks.

Riverland Thu 30-Oct-14 23:54:55

Where I live, you are only available to have your front door knocked on if you have a lit pumpkin by the front door or in your front window, as a sign.

chrome100 Thu 30-Oct-14 23:55:44

It's not American? I'm dead old and I trick or treated when I was a kid.

Tinkerball Thu 30-Oct-14 23:58:45

Im 44 and I "traipsed around getting sweets" in Scotland in the 70s and 80s, all dressed up, it was called guising.

PoundingTheStreets Fri 31-Oct-14 00:00:26

Is there much of a problem now with egging and the like?

In my area there is an unwritten code - no decorations, no knocking and no one over the age of 13 or so doing it at all. Local police give out posters saying "Sorry, no Trick of Treaters" and there generally isn't a problem at all.

I really like it (though at previous addresses it has cost me a fortune in sweets/chocs due to the number of callers), but then I like any excuse for a party and silly decorations/costumes.

curlyweasel Fri 31-Oct-14 00:01:11

I remember doing the tricks, but not getting the treats! I was a bad lass me.

Pyjamaramadrama Fri 31-Oct-14 00:01:36

I don't mind really although we only ever get 2-3 and they're usually too old and not dressed up.

I just buy a big bag of sweets but I won't open the door when it's too late.

I've promised I'll take ds tomorrow, he's been begging me to take him for the past two years.

I'll take him to 5 houses only which will be the neighbours I know.

ClawHandsIfYouBelieveInFreaks Fri 31-Oct-14 00:02:45

It's not bloody American! It's far older than that and it's European. They took it and ran with it once they settled over there. You know what Americans are like! They just add glitter and it's "American" grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now