Talk

Advanced search

To stomp back to Jorvik and demand our money back?

(49 Posts)
Stealthpolarbear Thu 30-Oct-14 21:34:23

When we asked dd what her favourite bit of our visit was she said "learning all about the cavemen"
Hmmmm

Minions Thu 30-Oct-14 21:54:27

He he, made me chuckle. Could have been worse, she could have said the gift shop grin

HeartsTrumpDiamonds Thu 30-Oct-14 21:57:17

YANBU except YABU because I looooooovvvveee Jorvik and all things Viking.

(Where's that Fru when you need her wink )

Stealthpolarbear Thu 30-Oct-14 22:27:55

She would have said the gift shop but we applied the look before steering them through it at breakneck speed

WitchWay Thu 30-Oct-14 22:29:48

I went while pregnant & the "realistic smells" made me heave hmm

ScrambledeggLDCcakeBOAK Thu 30-Oct-14 22:30:18

I though Jorvik was brill!

Thought the cavemen were excellently done [blink]

Stealthpolarbear Thu 30-Oct-14 22:32:10

Err yes dear smile
It was good, although a couple of cavemen would have added a certain ^ je ne sais quoi^. Maybe I should suggest it.

bruffin Thu 30-Oct-14 22:51:37

When we went dd was about 9 and prone to over imagination. When we got to our turn she refused to go on the ride. Theyb et us wait a few goes but she refused. They were lovely and showed us a short cut to the end where we could wait for dh and ds. They gave dd an opportunity to get on again but in the end they let me on and let ds go round a second time.

OwlinaTree Thu 30-Oct-14 22:54:57

Did you see the couple DTD in the hut?

Stealthpolarbear Thu 30-Oct-14 22:59:46

No owl. Are you sure they were Vikings not just very frisky modern humans

Stealthpolarbear Thu 30-Oct-14 23:01:46

Ok really dim question
They were the Viking. Before them were the Anglo Saxons and after them the Normans etc. we've just had Victoria times. What are we going to be? There have already been Elizabethans.
Will we be the X factor generations?
I have a feeling when someone tells me I'm going to feel v stupid but it's late and I'm drunk

cosysocks Thu 30-Oct-14 23:02:40

When I was at uni one of my flat mates was used as a cast for one of the figures.. It does reek though.

TheCraicDealer Thu 30-Oct-14 23:04:38

DP and I were there at the beginning of the month, they have the same ride along thingy in the Titanic Centre at home but it's up through the innards of the ship.

I thought it was a very short exhibit to be honest- when we exited at the gift shop I had to shush DP as he roared, "was that fucking it?!". Although I did get a good snap of a Viking poo grin

Solasum Thu 30-Oct-14 23:06:46

Stealth, I think we are New Elizabethans?

Stealthpolarbear Thu 30-Oct-14 23:07:56

Phew so I'm not that dim thanks
Craic we had been warned that it was expensive and short . We had realistic expectations

tywysogesgymraeg Thu 30-Oct-14 23:08:10

Think we are the "New Elizabethans"

TheCraicDealer Thu 30-Oct-14 23:12:25

Although we were disappointed Stealth, we then went to Yorkminster and saw Michael Portillo filming something boring. Our spirits were adequately lifted.

tankytoppy Thu 30-Oct-14 23:14:53

Ooh, I like the sound of being a New Elizabethan.

TyneTeas Fri 31-Oct-14 01:17:50

Anyone who loves Jorvik needs to go here just a few miles to the East

www.murtonpark.co.uk/

The viking village will probably be closed for school use during term time, but if you go in school hols there will probably be Viking weapon training and craft stuff on (in addition to how great the village is as well as the farming museum and roman fort)

PomBearWithAnOFRS Fri 31-Oct-14 01:23:19

We loved Jorvik and DH and I sniggered at the "shagging couple" and managed not to alert the DCs to what we were sniggering at grin but then right at the end when they tell you all the figures are based on the actual faces of the skulls they excavated, it made me go all "peculiar" confused and felt a bit weird somehow.
I can't even quite explain why, but I think part of me can never quite decide how many years there are between archaeology and grave robbing, and the thought of them actually remodelling the dead people made my flesh crawl a bit. If they's said it at the beginning of the trip rather than the end, I don't think I'd have gone - we've never been back.
That said, the DCs loved it, and were absolutely convinced we'd gone back in time after the shaking seats in the "time machine" grin I jut got irationally squeamish at the end.

waithorse Fri 31-Oct-14 07:37:48

I love this thread and am very jealous, I haven't been since school.

firesidechat Fri 31-Oct-14 07:50:43

I went while pregnant & the "realistic smells" made me heave hmm

We went years ago and my abiding memory is feeling horribly sick and just wanting to get out, fast. I thought it was hideous. I wasn't even pregnant at the time.

NorksWar Fri 31-Oct-14 07:56:55

How did I miss the shagging couple?!! I only saw an old man having a dump wwhen I went earlier this year!

IsabellaofFrance Fri 31-Oct-14 07:57:34

DD loves Center Parcs ad asked if we can go back there on holiday. When I asked her what she liked best, she piped up 'The toy shop'. We didn't even visit the toy shop confused

monal Fri 31-Oct-14 08:18:03

I went once when I was about 11 and I can still remember the smells.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now