Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To wake my ds to get him to sleep ?!?!

(13 Posts)
Alfiedoggy Thu 30-Oct-14 21:05:24

My ds, 6 , has aspergers . He wakes every , single night at 3:30 am ... That's it for the day then :/ I am on my knees ...
Just read about the wake to sleep method - is it insane to rouse him 20 min before 3:30 ?!? So that he sleeps longer ? Has anyone else tried this ??
Please help - I'm off to drown my sorrows in my body weight of chocolate sad

CrohnicallyAnxious Thu 30-Oct-14 21:40:52

It never worked for my DD, but in your situation I'd try anything.

Have you tried a gro-clock and leaving activities set up for him to do alone and quietly while you get some more sleep? My brother needed very little sleep (probably has Asperger's but not diagnosed). But he would be allowed to turn his light on and read or similar if he woke early, and wasn't allowed out of his room until he heard my mum get up. Or as he got older he would stay up later than my parents so he woke up at a more normal time.

x2boys Thu 30-Oct-14 22:23:21

I have heard this I have a son with asd who has poor sleep not sure I want to try it as when my son stirs he wakes very quickly anythings worth a go though.

Alfiedoggy Fri 31-Oct-14 05:53:10

Thank you both so much for replying - I fell asleep :/! But I woke him at 3am , just enough for his eyes to open , and he went back to sleep til five !! I feel a big improvement , will def do it again tonight smile
X2boys have u tried cerebra charity ? They have a free sleep service with a nurse who helps you , we re on waiting list to see her xxx

SlinkyB Fri 31-Oct-14 05:59:48

I used the wake to sleep method when ds1 (no asd though) was a baby and it worked.

Good luck Alfie, 3.30am must be so so tough.

Alfiedoggy Fri 31-Oct-14 06:11:08

Thank you slinky b thlsmile
Can I just ask you - how long do I need to keep waking him at 3 am for now ? Xx

Yarp Fri 31-Oct-14 06:12:15

I di wake to sleep with my DS2. I think he was aorund 3 or 4 at the time and waking regularly at around 1am and staying awake for at least an hour.

I would go in to him before we went to bed and rouse him slightly - enough that he'd roll over/ groan.

Worked very quickly.

Glad your frirst attempt helped. Hope you sort it. It is a killer

Alfiedoggy Fri 31-Oct-14 06:14:11

Thank you Yarp - it's tragic when u think 5 am is a lie in isn't it !!!!! Xxx

BathshebaDarkstone Fri 31-Oct-14 06:20:19

No Asperger's here, we don't think but DD might be, I'd give it a go, it might work. flowers

Yarp Fri 31-Oct-14 06:26:19

Alfie

Yes indeed.

My DS1 used to wake between 5 and 6 until he was about 6. That was bad enough over a period of years. I never thought I could do anything about it; i only found out about wake to sleep when I had DS2.

The irony is, 8 years later I now wake up at 5.30 every monrning!

Alfiedoggy Fri 31-Oct-14 06:41:35

Ha ha ha !!! I'm going to be waking at 3:30 am when they're 20 aren't I !!thlshock

Balaboosta Fri 31-Oct-14 10:02:26

No suggestions but sympathy about the early waking. My DS is Asperger's too but luckily doesn't have this trick in his bag. Am reading with interest though cos I net heard of this method. Yarp do you want me to call you every morning at 5.15?wink

SlinkyB Fri 31-Oct-14 10:15:43

Oh gosh, I'm sorry I can't remember how long we did it for, as ds1 is 3.9 now. I think we did it for a couple of weeks?

yarp shock You wake naturally at 5.30am every day?

I might have to cut out one of the baby's naps if he keeps the 5am thing up.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now