Talk

Advanced search

To buy Groupon gifts for Christmas

(10 Posts)
Loletta Thu 30-Oct-14 19:05:15

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MrsTerrorPratchett Thu 30-Oct-14 19:07:44

Be EXTREMELY careful. I got a wine tour for my Dad. Let's just say it is a good job he's got a sense of humour because it was bloody awful. Groupons for stuff you know is good to get more bang for your buck would be fine in my book. Pretty ribbon round it?

redexpat Thu 30-Oct-14 19:38:14

2 years ago PILs got a sweetdeal (same sort of setup) from us, and had a lovely time at a poshish hotel.

ILovePud Thu 30-Oct-14 19:51:52

That sounds lovely, I'd be chuffed to receive those but I'd echo what MrsTerrorPractchet said about opting for known quantities.

weeblueberry Thu 30-Oct-14 19:57:08

Also be careful you check the use by dates. We got one for our boss and she only admitted recently that when she tried to use it a month after (spa treatment) and they wouldn't accept it.

KnackeredMuchly Thu 30-Oct-14 20:06:20

Yabu, they are tat in a different form.

A meal for 2 = we only have bookings left for 6pm (or 10pm). Turn up feeling like OAPs but theyre so busy with other Groupon ers that you're not seated for 20 mins, your food takes ages and tastes like ass and as soon as you've had your last mouthful you're told to bugger off as thwy have people queuing for your table

bitter experience

My DH got a groupon for his biryhday for go karting, he had to take a day off work to do it for 40 mins and drive an hour away. A bargain for who bought it for him, for DH, not so much.

BackforGood Thu 30-Oct-14 20:13:38

Well, funnily enough, I've just had 'afternoon tea' today, which was a present from 2 friends for my big birthday back in the Summer! smile
I thought it was lovely - but then, they did know I was on the look out for a voucher for an afternoon tea.

It's like all these things - it depends how well you know the person. Me, I loved it... a nice treat for me, and knowing that nobody had spent a ridiculous amount on me made me comfortable with it.
Agree with the 'use by' dates though - do make sure it's something they can / will be likely to use in the time frame.

Jolleigh Thu 30-Oct-14 20:15:40

I got a Groupon for my parents for Christmas, a meal for 4 (me and ex going with) at a lovely Brazilian place. We really enjoyed ourselves and they were thrilled.

waithorse Thu 30-Oct-14 21:13:34

Totally depends. Some Groupon deals are good, some rubbish.

Loletta Thu 30-Oct-14 21:25:52

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now