Talk

Advanced search

to say forget halloween its not happening

(30 Posts)
moolady1977 Thu 30-Oct-14 18:47:42

So ive spent last week getting bits and bobs for halloween ,nice snacks and sweets for my 3 dc as ive said no to going out in the cold trick or treating id got a lovely stash of stuff to have while watching a dvd ,well ive got back in earlier after taking my ds10 to the pictures to find that the oldest two 15 and 12 have found the stash and totally mullered it ,!,,im fuming and have said forget it come tomorrow night you can sit and watch soaps and do nothing and have nothing nice ,,, the dh is saying i can't do that if ive made plans i have to see them through and i can replace the stuff tomorrow when we go shopping ,,,,am i being unreasonable in saying not a chance they pinched it and noe they go without ????

DoughnutSelfie Thu 30-Oct-14 18:50:50

The older two, yes no treats cheeky beggars

The younger one, get stuff for him though

ArkhamOffett Thu 30-Oct-14 18:52:58

Did they know it was for tomorrow? Was it hidden or just in the usual cupboard/fridge place?
If they knew then they still do the rest of the things you had planned but they don't get the food treats.

honeysucklejasmine Thu 30-Oct-14 18:54:29

Gosh, you're being mice to even let them watch soaps tomorrow, the cheeky monsters!

Leeds2 Thu 30-Oct-14 18:56:26

I would do whatever you were planning to do with your youngest DS, and buy some more treats for him tomorrow.

The other two I would send to their rooms, and would certainly not be providing them with sweets, chocolate etc. They have had their share.

Winterbells Thu 30-Oct-14 18:57:23

Agreed with Leeds2.

moolady1977 Thu 30-Oct-14 18:58:48

No they didn't know it was for tomorrow but it was in a big shopping bag upstairs in my bedroom out of the way ,,,the normal snacks and stuff are still in the cupboard

Topseyt Thu 30-Oct-14 19:02:04

You don't say whether or not they knew that it was for tomorrow night, or how well you had hidden it.

If they knew what it was for then fair enough, stick to your guns and give the older ones nothing tomorrow night. At 15 and 12 they are perfectly old enough to understand that they shouldn't have eaten the goodies, provided you did tell them rather than assuming them to be psychic.

If you left things out in normal places without saying that they were not to be touched yet then possibly you may have to give them the benefit of the doubt.

ArkhamOffett Thu 30-Oct-14 19:02:34

Oh well then, they would have known and how mean of them. angry

Do they get pocket money/allowance? I'd be inclined to dock it out of that, have the Halloween for all of you but they pay for the bits they took.
If you make them miss out they may spoil it for everyone.

TimeForAnotherNameChange Thu 30-Oct-14 19:03:29

Bollocks to giving them a nice time! They're plenty old enough to accept the consequences of what they've done. They'd be in their rooms with no electronics at all if they were mine - read or go to sleep. Certainly no telly and hell would freeze over before I bought a second batch of sweets & snacks for them. Does your dh want to raise spoilt selfish children? Because all he's doing is utterly undermining you.

OwlWearingSunglasses Thu 30-Oct-14 19:05:00

but it was in a big shopping bag upstairs in my bedroom out of the way

I would have been fuming. They must have gone looking for it; it's not as if it was in the cupboard and a genuine mistake.

Don't replace it for them, but also don't make your youngest miss out. Yes you made plans but that doesn't mean other people can ride roughshod over you and you carry on as if they hadn't!

Topseyt Thu 30-Oct-14 19:05:20

Cross posted, sorry. If it was upstairs in your bedroom then clearly common sense should have told them they could not have it yet.

Make them replace it from any pocket money they have, and if that won't be enough then dock pocket money for the next couple of weeks.

I would be furious if my daughters rifled through my bedroom for something without my express permission.

PookBob Thu 30-Oct-14 19:07:42

Definitely NBU, I would be livid.

I agree with just having treats with youngest DC

Nanny0gg Thu 30-Oct-14 19:07:45

Ask your oldest if they'd mind you rummaging through their stuff in their room. Very underhanded.

They get nothing and can stay out of the living room tomorrow while you and your youngest DC have the nice time you planned.

And don't let your DH undermine you.

Thebodynowchillingsothere Thu 30-Oct-14 19:10:46

Doesn't your teenager have a party to go to? smile

26Point2Miles Thu 30-Oct-14 19:14:02

I don't think they are allowed 'out in the cold' hmm

Cold?? Seriously

saoirse31 Thu 30-Oct-14 19:16:26

Think u r idea of not going out n cold is weird. surely they want to hang out with their friends...

LineRunner Thu 30-Oct-14 19:16:28

Where do you live? The arctic?

ArkhamOffett Thu 30-Oct-14 19:18:57

I think 'out in the cold' is just a euphenism.

LineRunner Thu 30-Oct-14 19:21:59

As in the spy who came in from the cold?

ArkhamOffett Thu 30-Oct-14 19:25:16

Something like that, yes.... The Spy Who Wasn't Allowed To Go Mithering The Neighbours

saoirse31 Thu 30-Oct-14 19:42:26

But look at the kids ages... do they not hang out with friends?

ChillySpooker Thu 30-Oct-14 19:51:31

"not going out in the cold" seriously? have you seen the temperature forecasts for tomorrow? 21 degrees in some areas . Stop being a meany and let your kids go trick or treating.

paddyclampo Thu 30-Oct-14 20:00:39

Is 15 not a bit old for trick or treating? Not judging, just curious? I'd say the oldest kids who come to our door are about Y6, not high school.

Let the 10 year old do the trick or treating!

LineRunner Thu 30-Oct-14 20:45:30

A 15 year old should be answering the door to little trick or treaters, giving sweets away, I think.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now