Advanced search

To wonder if this is entirely legal?

(13 Posts)
Summerbreezer Thu 30-Oct-14 17:41:49

A friend of mine and her husband are "looking after" a 12 year old boy who lives near them. The boy was struggling with his behaviour at home and his mother was about to put him in care. He has no family nearby.

My friend and her husband are wonderful people and the boy is happy living with them. They give him the calm home environment that was missing before.

However, I am not sure if this arrangement is entirely legal. Surely Social Services need to be at least aware that the child isn't living at home? They aren't approved to foster and I am concerned there may be ramifications for the mother if SS subsequently found out.

AIBU to suggest that SS are at least alerted to this situation?

guitarosauras Thu 30-Oct-14 17:43:13

I think after a certain amount of time yes it does have to be done 'properly'.

Ujjayi Thu 30-Oct-14 17:44:02

Not sure about legality but if it is working out well for all, does it need to be an issue? Takes a village etc

Got99problems Thu 30-Oct-14 17:44:09

I'd imagine that if SS aren't involved, and his mum still has parental responsibility then there is no problem him staying elsewhere - I think they would only become foster parents if social services had PR.

StrangeGlue Thu 30-Oct-14 17:46:03

Have they gone through private fostering arrangements?

guitarosauras Thu 30-Oct-14 17:46:03

Apparently called private fostering and good old direct gov says

'Who you must tell about the arrangement
You must tell your local council if all of these apply:

you’re looking after a child who is under 16, or under 18 if they’re disabled
you’re looking after a child for more than 28 days in a row
you aren’t a close relative, ie grandparent, brother or sister, uncle or aunt or step-parent
Your council will give you help and advice. They have a duty to provide support for you.

What to expect

A social worker will visit you and the child to make sure the child is safe and being properly cared for.

The social worker will do background checks on you. They can also offer help and support.

dixiechick1975 Thu 30-Oct-14 17:47:11

When DD went to childrens hospital there was a poster in the waiting room saying if you were looking after a child for more than 28? days you must notify the childrens services dept of the local council.

insancerre Thu 30-Oct-14 17:47:49

I think ss should be informed as it is a major safeguarding issue if children are living with non relatives.
That's what I was told on my safeguarding training.

LowCarbHeaven Thu 30-Oct-14 17:47:59

I don't think there is an issue legally if the child's mother still has full parental rights and she is consenting to him being there. I imagine issues might arise if the mother decides she wants him back after a long time of him living with your friends or objects to decisions they have made of a parental stature.

Summerbreezer Thu 30-Oct-14 17:48:27

Thanks all.

It has definitely been longer than 28 days - I will raise it with them. (My friend, not SS - don't think it is my place to intervene there).

grocklebox Thu 30-Oct-14 17:52:59

Well if you think it illegal, what law are they breaking?

ghostyslovesheep Thu 30-Oct-14 17:54:14

yep the LA needs informing x

SaucyJackOLantern Thu 30-Oct-14 18:24:15

Maybe raise it with the friend, but I wouldn't tell SS. Worst case scenario is that they decide your friend isn't a suitable FC for some silly reason and they put the kid in a children's home.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now