Talk

Advanced search

To get the rage at this type of driver

(36 Posts)
Wowthishurtsalot Thu 30-Oct-14 16:59:17

The ones who have no awareness of other road users and crawl down a slip road joining a major A or M road at just enough speed to get them ahead of a convoy of lorries or other slow drivers leaving you stranded and trying to join the road from a standing start once the convoy has passed.

This happens all the bloody time to me as I commute on a busy A road that is linked to a couple of major ports so the inside lane has times where, I presume, streams have come off the ships and are all on the road at the same time.

It's so infuriating and dangerous!

AIBU?

hiddenhome Thu 30-Oct-14 17:11:55

People seem to do this at traffic lights too. They crawl up to them, then quickly whizz through just as the lights begin to change leaving you sitting there hmm

I hate people who drive everywhere at 40mph too.

Seeline Thu 30-Oct-14 17:17:25

I hate the ones who pull out of side roads just in front of you when there isn't really room, but they've put their foot down an just squeezed in, and then proceed at 15 mile an hour for the next 20 miles angry

Wowthishurtsalot Thu 30-Oct-14 17:28:41

Yes! And you're left thinking 'there's no one behind me you could have waited you ARSE!'

rogerthecabinboy Thu 30-Oct-14 18:36:43

YANBU - they probably think they're safe drivers!

LuisSuarezFangs Thu 30-Oct-14 18:43:51

Perhaps you'd rather they pulled out and got mashed by a lorry instead? How ridiculous.

Wowthishurtsalot Thu 30-Oct-14 18:45:59

No. I'd prefer they used the slip road at a decent speed and both of us get onto the road before the lorries

LuisSuarezFangs Thu 30-Oct-14 18:48:17

I presume other drivers are exercising caution. I fail to see how that's dangerous. There are many occasions when a slip road involves a standing start.

s113 Thu 30-Oct-14 18:52:06

I presume other drivers are exercising caution. I fail to see how that's dangerous. There are many occasions when a slip road involves a standing start.

Some very short slip roads, yes. But the vast majority are designed so that you actually speed up as you approach.

Sometimes driving too slowly can be just as dangerous as driving too fast, in very different ways.

scurryfunge Thu 30-Oct-14 18:56:58

I get a tad annoyed with anyone who doesn't treat what's ahead of them as a potential hazard. Treat the dawdlers as a hazard and moderate your driving accordingly. Accept that people won't necessarily join the carriageway at the appropriate speed and accept that lorries and other slow moving traffic can't always move into the next lane. Just be aware of everything going on around you and you probably won't come a cropper.

Have been a victim this weekend however of someone not paying attention to what's going on ahead. Nothing we could do to avoid someone not even attempting to brake when traffic had slowed.

LuisSuarezFangs Thu 30-Oct-14 18:56:58

Surely you just wait for a gap S113? This seems more about frustration about being held up than safety.

CrashDiveOnMingoCity Thu 30-Oct-14 18:57:46

YANBU. It baffles me that some drivers don't realise that the traffic already on the road has priority.

ArmyDad Thu 30-Oct-14 19:08:02

Or as they are also known acceleration lane, you know speeding up to join the fast moving traffic. YANBU at all

SlowlorisIncognito Thu 30-Oct-14 19:21:01

My commute involves an A road with some relatively short slip roads joining it. In general, I try to get to around 50 mph before joining the A road as this is usually a safe speed to slot in. It does annoy me when people drive very slowly along the slip road- you are never going to be able to join a 70mph speed limit road at 30 mph.

People who pull out onto the A road causing other drivers to break sharply do annoy me, as do people who are going slowly but want to overtake a slow moving vehicle so pull out into the right hand lane, again causing people behind them to have to break.

People driving too slowly for the road and conditions do represent a hazard- that's why you can get minor or major faults for this in the driving test.

However, my driving rage is currently reserved for people who park on double yellow lines, but leave their hazards on as if that makes it ok.

thursday Thu 30-Oct-14 19:27:08

Do people really wait patiently to join the motorway from a standing start? Thankfully you don't when I'm around, dangerous and needless. I've once had to slow down to 20 and lurk at the top of a slip road waiting for someone doing just that to get on before speeding up and joining normally.

LuisSuarezFangs Thu 30-Oct-14 19:30:18

Thursday is it really that difficult to understand? No gap = stop.

dreamingofsun Thu 30-Oct-14 19:38:01

i've always thought that if they did a study they would find that the faster a car pulls out in front of you from a side road the slower it then goes in front of you. its as if these people have no idea of speeds.

mind you drivers in swansea are the pits - they tried to reverse into us in the car, into me crossing car park, and almost drove into us on the dual carriageway from the slip road not even bothering to look.....how we survived the weekend i don't know

rogerthecabinboy Thu 30-Oct-14 20:16:55

The Germans seem so much better at this and general motorway lane discipline.

AnyoneforTurps Thu 30-Oct-14 20:27:01

People seem to do this at traffic lights too. They crawl up to them, then quickly whizz through just as the lights begin to change leaving you sitting there

I call these people Amber Ditherers - they stop other people getting through the lights when green, but then go through themselves just as they turn red. Gives me the rrroad rrrrage [attempts to roll Rs like Cerys Matthews].

WitchWay Thu 30-Oct-14 20:28:33

I hate drivers who zoom up to side roads then slam on the brakes in order to give way - makes them looks as if they are going to drive out in front of me.

Beth2511 Thu 30-Oct-14 20:33:49

People who go in the other lane to overtake but just dawdle right in your blind spot. Happens all the time here where you have to be in the right hand lane to go straight on and you can never get into the lane because people won't overtake or won't giv you space to go in front.. ARGH

HappyAgainOneDay Thu 30-Oct-14 20:40:39

Some slip roads have traffic lights immediately where they join the major A or M road. Hence a standing start. Usually, these lights are in operation during rush hours (no pun intended!).

TallulahTwinkletoes Thu 30-Oct-14 20:43:26

Things I come across daily....

-overtaking cyclists on blind spots and scaring the life out of me as they come at 60 half on my side of the road.

-people who are either unaware of the speed limit or who are so pig ignorant they go at whatever speed they fancy.

-people with no lane discipline.

-people pulling out on you dangerously and then going much slower than you were especially when there is not one single car behind you and they could have simply waited.

-hesitancy for no reason

lampygirl Thu 30-Oct-14 20:46:37

I actually agree with the OP on the slip road thing. If they just accelerated to 60-70 they would have got out into a gap, and the car behind into the same gap and probably the one behind that, but instead they just judge the minimum speed they need to get themselves into that gap meaning 2 other cars do have to stop/slow down unnecessarily. This is not being aware of what is around them. They have a rear view mirror too. I can get my car up to 70 on most slip roads, even those short turny French ones, so accelerating to the speed of the road into the massive gap allowing other cars also to join doesn't seem that big an ask.

AsBrightAsAJewel Thu 30-Oct-14 20:59:31

I hate the ones that overtake me on the slip road, running parallel to me. Then pull into a gap on to the main road, but leave me nowhere to go as they don't pull out into the outside lane even though they could. They could either stay behind me on the slip road or pull straight out into the fast lane, but instead they leave me with no room to join the main road and no sliproad left.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now